Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

11 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

I'm just going by what THE book says and those 10 "rules" to live by. 

yea lets not go into this discussion here. I am gonna show respect for a legend in the industry who just passed, allow me to do so without interjecting your own rhetoric, thank you. 

Felt like doing a review of Clash:

Preshow Smackdown Tag Team Match - Cesaro & Nakamura (C) vs Lucha House Party **

This was just a Smackdown match in terms of quality. The champs dominated most of the match and looked a class above almost the entire time. Cesaro looked really good actually. However, the confusing thing here is that it didnt advance the story... like at all. There was no movement on the Lucha House Party break that has been teased, just more of the same. No new wrinkle, nothing new for the champs, just a throwaway in every conceivable way. 

The Intercontinental Title Ladder Match - Jeffy Hardy (C) vs AJ Styles vs Sami Zayn (C?) ****1/2

This was the best match of the night by far. There were a few spots where things didnt seem to go as plan but each guy played it off very well. The timing between these three on a variety of spots was on point. Plus that finish was AMAZING. When Sami first pulled out the handcuffs I rolled my eyes admittedly. Then he goes and does something I have never seen with them and then surprised me again with the key gag. My only complaint is that Sami did not call himself the Undisputed Intercontinental Champion after the win. 

Raw Women's Title Match - Asuka (C) vs Zelina Vega **

Ok so I really like Zelina. However, this was a buildless thrown together match that no one thought Zelina would win. Sure Zelina was game, but who cares. So not only did they book the match as a big who cares, they then have Zelina attack post match to extend this feud? You know how you extend the feud and make a new star heel in the division? Have Zelina do her shady ish (she poisoned a man for god's sake) and surprise the world by beating Asuka under dubious circumstances. The lead into a Cell match next month writes itself with Asuka getting the title back in that enviroment and now you have Zelina as a bonafide player. Like most good things WWE could have done, they just give a nice ole... NAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

United States Title Match - Bobby Lashley (C) vs Apollo Cruz **

When will this feud end? MVP killed Apollo. I'll just say it. I was on the Apollo train back when COVID first hit. I am a fan of his in ring work. Then comes MVP, who talks circles around Apollo making him look like a fool on the mic. Apollo got out classed as soon as MVP stepped up to him. Since then, he has just been fodder for the Hurt Business and now hopefully he is off TV for a bit. Much like the pre show match, this could have been on Raw. I'm hoping they move Keith Lee into the US title hunt and have him win it. Then move the entire Hurt Business into the ME scene where they belong. If anyone should be about a mid card title it should be Cedric. Although I think the "big things" MVP alluded to about Cedric is a tag title bid with MVP and Cedric teaming up. 

Raw Tag Team Title Match - The Street Profits (C) vs Angel Garza and Andrade *1/2

So this match started out really well IMO. Granted, we have seen this match 100 times but I thought that were actually telling a compelling story within the ring. Garza and Andrade's chemistry was notably better and they were pulling of tag moves they hadn't done before. The Profits looked shocked and it showed in their performance as well. Then Garza got the dreaded X and the communication in the match fell apart and the finish was completely botched. Now I do not know what the plan was here, but it looked like they might actually get a title change the way Dawkins reacted to the botch finish. I blame the ref for not communicating to Andrade that the match was being called due to injury. 

Smackdwon Women's Title Match - Bailey (C) vs. Asuka *

This match didnt need to happen. Nikki couldnt be there, fine, just dont have a match. Have Bailey celebrate her "win" and then get attacked by Sasha. I just... why?

WWE Title Ambulance Match - Drew McIntyre (C) vs Randy Orton ***

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this match. Most ambulance matches are, well, not good and too gimicky. The reason this gets 3 instead of 4 for me is it made, IMO, Drew look like a punk. Three Legends attacked Orton, one of which hit a finishing move. Despite that, Orton still almost won. Drew got a lot of help to win this win and the only reason I can think of doing that is that it will continue the feud even longer and lead to a Cell match where no one can interfere. Which is, well, whatever I guess. 

Universal Title Match - Roman Reigns (C) vs Jey Uso ****

This was near perfect booking IMO. Reigns looked great, though I wish the new music wasnt fake news. Jey got in a little too much offense IMO, but otherwise I thought the whole story was great, the persona Reigns exhibited was near perfect. I thought he said the buzz words a little too often but otherwise his deliver was great. Jey played his part, Jimmy was a nice touch. 

Overall - ***1/2

TV quality middle bookended by great matches. 

On 9/28/2020 at 8:54 AM, Deadpulse said:

Smackdwon Women's Title Match - Bailey (C) vs. Asuka *

This match didnt need to happen. Nikki couldnt be there, fine, just dont have a match. Have Bailey celebrate her "win" and then get attacked by Sasha. I just... why?

Because they wanted to give me false hope that they'd actually book this right come Hell in a Cell (which they should freaking call Halloween Havoc since it's in October, still is fitting to have 1-2 HIAC matches at a Halloween Havoc PPV, and HH was one of the trademarks Cody didn't win the rights to in his civil suit, so freaking use it!) - which means it shouldn't even occur there.

Proper booking would say to have Sasha on the verge of getting her hands on Bailey and get drafted to RAW - and that match goes away.  And thus she gets a chance to build as a babyface on RAW before having to win the Rumble in order to get her pick of champions and get her hands on Bailey for the payoff (and to have the Mania match that they should have had either of the past 2 years) - though it adds a nice twist if the roles are reversed from the way their penultimate NXT match went down as far as Sasha being the face and Bailey being the heel.

But... more than likely it's going to get rushed.  We're going to get a blow-off between the two at HIAC because Ronda's already been training to come back and you can be damn sure FOX is going to insist she be on Smackdown, especially with Brock not in an active capacity right now.

14 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Proper booking would say to have Sasha on the verge of getting her hands on Bailey and get drafted to RAW - and that match goes away.  And thus she gets a chance to build as a babyface on RAW before having to win the Rumble in order to get her pick of champions and get her hands on Bailey for the payoff (and to have the Mania match that they should have had either of the past 2 years) - though it adds a nice twist if the roles are reversed from the way their penultimate NXT match went down as far as Sasha being the face and Bailey being the heel.

Yes.... YES

My buddy and I were talking about just this booking. The only side note was we figured you'd have them both helm the SS team to stoke the flames of that rivalry a bit prior to the rumble. 

On 9/29/2020 at 12:26 PM, Fresh Prince said:

Ehh that Roman/Jay match kinda sucked. He mostly got slapped and punched the whole time. Not like he was taking romans moves at all

It was what it needed to be.  I wish they'd drop the "Tribal Chief" stuff and just go with "Head of the Table"/Head of the Family stuff.  For where they're going (which is clearly a Roman/Rock match at Mania), it makes sense.  But this is one of those perfect opportunities if they want to salvage what excessive damage Cole and Vince have done with shoving "The Big Dog" moniker down peoples' throats with a wide-mouthed snow shovel, play off the dog analogy and call it what it is, Roman is establishing himself as "the Alpha dog."  You book the match - which they largely did - as such (even if Alpha is typically a babyface role, but you can pull it off with the right heel) where a lower member of the pack is challenging the Alpha for pack leadership.  Book the thing like Killmonger or Mbaku coming for T'Challa's crown - except Roman needs to be more Killmonger than T'Challa.  I get why they're working the moniker that they are, it's so the Rock can come in and say, "You know who my Grandfather was.  Yes, he was the brother of your grandfather, but my grandfather was the 'High Chief' Peter Maivia."

Honestly, if they want to build this further, I'd throw a good chunk of money (if not a Legends contract) at LA Smooth (i.e. Lloyd Anoa'i, Yokozuna's son), especially since he's gonna be in the Fast and Furious next movie (like he was in Hobbs & Shaw) with Roman and Rock anyway, because he's older but he can still work maybe better than any of the Samoans going right now (as he's a head trainer at the Wild Samoans' school), let him come in short-term to "check" Roman and get the ever-loving piss beaten out of him... pack mentality, because you flip the Usos heel to get Roman's back there.  More likely they'll just bring up Sean Maluta (Afa's nephew who won't do a thing because even people on NXT forget he's on the roster).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Ricky Starks is giving MJF a run for his money in terms of long-term heel carry for AEW 

You think he has ME potential? I’m not feeling it yet, but I do see and hear it . The kid needs a shot . 

Terrific show. AEW is fun, I can’t remember the last time I thought wwe was fun.