2020 Draft Talk

swede700

Joe Burrow is a RS SR, Jordan Love is a RS JR.  So Love could easily come back next year, he has a totally new coaching staff and all his good weapons are gone off last years team and most had shots at making the NFL in Dax Raymond TE, Jalen Greene WR, Ron'quavion Tarver WR and Darwin Thompson RB did make a NFL roster.  So he does not have much talent of course and by the look of it none of those receivers and or running backs will make the league, maybe Bright but even he is a pretty big long shot where Thompson, Raymond and Greene were pretty legit next level prospects offensively last year.  

LSU on the other had has arguably 4 receivers and or tight ends who will play in the NFL.  Chase is one of the best SOPH WRs in the nation, Jefferson is ripping it up and even Moss's kid has looked solid at TE.  Not to mention probably at least 3-4 offensive lineman will be in the NFL off LSU and probably a RB or two.  Oh and LSU has the best true freshman CB in Stingley who is arguably one of the best corners in the nation, Delpit is already the best safety in the nation as well and both made great interceptions in that game.

Love threw some dimes in very tight coverage but also lacked making big plays consistently for a variety of reasons.  That up tempo offense did not help and they got off the field quickly and often and could not sustain drives.

I project things though, I said Jordan Love was a 1st rounder last season around November as a then RS SOPH QB on Utah State.  He is a project QB no question and this performance might take him down a little notch but even better if one could get him in the 2nd round and not have to spend a 1st rounder on him.   It all depends on if he likes the coaching staff and wants to return, kid has talent and clearly a great throwing arm.  Did awesome last year on the road but was helped a lot by being surrounded with more talent.  Put Love on LSU and he would look just as good as Burrow did I feel.  Burrow is increasing his stock no doubt and is playing and I would be interested in him 2nd round or late 1st if they do go QB.  Love did have a great game against Wake earlier this year, did throw some INTs but put up a lot of yards against a solid Wake defense to start the year, but last season is when he really impressed good game against Boise State on the road to end the year, good game at BYU, and best of all that great game against Michigan State on the road to start the season.  

Tristan Wirfs is becoming more and more interesting to me.  Had a fine game against a solid defense in Michigan that threw a lot of different rushers.  He held up quite well compared to the rest of his OL teammates who struggled.  Wirfs did get beat a few times late but he is so quick and athletic he would be a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme and would be a big upgrade over Reiff who maybe could transition over to OG but that might be a stretch.  Wirfs could easily be gone but OL talent in the 1st is interesting same with getting a QB maybe.

Originally I wanted them to get DL help in Kenny Willekes and I would still like him but with how well the DL has played and how Griffen seems back into form that is much less of an issue and glad to have them doing well and Odeinigbo, Weatherly and some other young guys doing well.  Now main needs might be QB, OT, CB etc.

16 hours ago, Torchezim said:

We should PM these concerns.  

I can understand where you’re coming from but I do not require a class on sentence structure. Lol.   If you believe that I do, then that can be a discussion away fr the football and away from other users.  I will explain to you that while I appreciate your help in that capacity, it is unnecessary.  

Ok.

20 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

If you haven't had the chance to watch RB Max Borghi from Washington State...might want to take a look.

I agree he is very interesting and very good especially in the passing game.  But he is a SOPH and cannot come out for the draft this year and doubt he even comes out as a JR underclassman in 2021 so he is pretty far down the road in terms of NFL prospects I feel, probably will not be in the NFL till the 2022 draft.  

He is a very poor mans Christian McCaffrey without the inside run ability or quite the toughness but is outstanding in the passing game and could be a great 3rd down back and weapon in that regard.  Had a great true freshman season especially as a pass catcher and has improved this year in terms of pure running the ball.  At this point RB to me is the farthest thing from a need for the Vikings.  I seriously doubt they draft a RB in 2020 or even 2021 but will see what happens with contacts.  Cook is under contract in 2020 but they might have a hard time paying him in 2021, hopefully not he is super talented and obviously when healthy one of the best in the NFL.

I watched the Utah State and LSU game.

Love has all the tools but has no talent around him. I need to see more.

Burrow has some real potential. This week will be a great challenge against Florida. He might be a top 15 pick. He also needs to grow his hair out again. He looks like he's a rebellious 18 year old out there. :P

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

How cool would it be to see Antoine Winfield Jr. playing for the Vikings? He certainly has the talent to play on Sundays, it's really a matter of health for him. When he's on the field he seems to be around the ball all the time.

I'll be curious to see how he does at the combine with his running times. He seems a little slow.

I washed Jordan Love against Nevada. The physical skill set is lovely, but he needs a lot of developmental hours if he's going to be successful in the NFL.

He has barely any talent around him. Scarver might be OK, but he's pretty much only a ST player. Bright is fast, but he splits carries with the other back.

I like Love, but he's probably a 2nd/3rd round talent.

Edited by SteelKing728

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I washed Jordan Love against Nevada. The physical skill set is lovely, but he needs a lot of developmental hours if he's going to be successful in the NFL.

Which is why you draft him and let him sit behind Kirk for 2020 and then roll with him in 2021.  He's going to go in the 1st round because of the talent.  Mahomes wasn't expected to go in the top 10 either (and in most mocks prior was a mid to late 1st at best).  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TENINCH said:

Give me a DT or another offensive lineman in the draft next season.

They really need more interior pressure, and clearly an OT that can start next year or later.......I can also see a CB as need......which seems hard to believe given all the draft capital spent on DBs, but you need a lot of DBs....