2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

6 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

QBs can credit two things for that: the rookie wage scale and teams being more willing to simplify or even change their offense to accommodate the rookie QB. 

I believe our offense is very rookie QB friendly. The best thing is a run game and great o-line

• Like 2

Just now, BayRaider said:

We’ll get more and more rankings as time goes on but DJ has Burrow #3, Tua #5 or 6, Love #19, Herbert #20, Eason in the 40’s, and Fromm at #50. So he has a Mid 2nd on Fromm with a very accurate write up. Fromm to the Saints in the 2nd Round seems like a match made in heaven. 

Brees used to carry his offense in college (over 500 attempts in 3 of 4 years). I remember wondering why pro scouts didn't think he was a 1st round pick. Obviously his height was the issue at the time. 

While Fromm needs his running game to be effective to move the ball (never over 400 attempts). No height issue but can't carry an offense. If the Saints draft him, they better make sure the ground game is solid for him. 

2 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I believe our offense is very rookie QB friendly. The best thing is a run game and great o-line

Actually it's not. Gruden runs a very complex version of the WCO that makes good use of the run game. If a rookie were to start for some reason, Gruden would have to simplify things and spoon feed the young QB to get him caught up. 

But you are not wrong about the pieces we have. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Actually it's not. Gruden runs a very complex version of the WCO that makes good use of the run game. If a rookie were to start for some reason, Gruden would have to simplify things and spoon feed the young QB to get him caught up. 

That's generally the rule of thumb when it comes to rookies. However, every year we hear QBs coming out more advanced learning entire playbooks quicker than ones previously

2 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

Carr throwing over 100 passes short of the LOS is a simple as it gets.

• Like 3

Would you guys be upset if we spent two thirds on a trade up to select Fromm ahead of the Saints in the Late 2nd? Would show Mayocks confidence in the guy. I’d be ok with it cause I think Fromm can be a decent upgrade over Carr. Less of an arm for sure but I think he’s much muchhhh smarter Carr and not afraid to take chances. I’ve always thought Carr was not a very smart QB and that was never a hater/bash type of comment. Him having the second lowest QB wonderlic in the league goes hand in hand to support that. 

The risk here is, Fromm may be a very good fit for our current system, but he’d probably not be a good fit on a offense Post-Gruden. Then again, it’s only two third round picks. 

10 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Gruden’s offense is the most complex in the NFL.

That’s the main reason why the new WRs are interfering with the way it’s run 

11 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:
16 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

Smoke screen. They want to trick the Chargers in to thinking we will draft one. 

Trick the Chargers for what? They pick 6 spots ahead of us

Show me the report of us meeting with the top offensive tackles, top running backs, top center prospects. 

I can conceive of a situation where we're doing our due diligence but also maybe leaking reports of us meeting QBs so that teams around us cant be sure if we're interested in taking one, maybe the Chargers will be manipulated into taking their QB in the 1st round rather than waiting for their second pick or trading down, thereby leaving a specific player on the board or more non QBs, of course this applies to any team that may be targeting a QB.

There are so many smoke screens and double bluffs this time if year i can see that being plausible. May also be trying to drum up some interest in trades if other teams think there nay be a run in QBs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

That's generally the rule of thumb when it comes to rookies. However, every year we hear QBs coming out more advanced learning entire playbooks quicker than ones previously

Gruden is a guy pretty set in his ways. I can’t see him changing his offense to fit what a player  did in college. Most QBs are successful early on not because the players are smarter but because not much is changed between what they in college. Which is why some guys flame out. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Would you guys be upset if we spent two thirds on a trade up to select Fromm ahead of the Saints in the Late 2nd? Would show Mayocks confidence in the guy. I’d be ok with it cause I think Fromm can be a decent upgrade over Carr. Less of an arm for sure but I think he’s much muchhhh smarter Carr and not afraid to take chances. I’ve always thought Carr was not a very smart QB and that was never a hater/bash type of comment. Him having the second lowest QB wonderlic in the league goes hand in hand to support that. 

The risk here is, Fromm may be a very good fit for our current system, but he’d probably not be a good fit on a offense Post-Gruden. Then again, it’s only two third round picks. 

That would be an interesting idea, I'm not sold on Fromm but in the second he wouldn't have that pressure to start straight away and he could sit and learn and from the organisations viewpoint it doesn't create an immediate QB controversy, if he doesn't become starter calibre we could do worse as a backup too. 

If the FO thought he'd be an upgrade then its a good deal   

38 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I can conceive of a situation where we're doing our due diligence but also maybe leaking reports of us meeting QBs so that teams around us cant be sure if we're interested in taking one, maybe the Chargers will be manipulated into taking their QB in the 1st round rather than waiting for their second pick or trading down, thereby leaving a specific player on the board or more non QBs, of course this applies to any team that may be targeting a QB.

There are so many smoke screens and double bluffs this time if year i can see that being plausible. May also be trying to drum up some interest in trades if other teams think there nay be a run in QBs.

Smoke screens happen every year. 

But this is telling. Last draft, our pick was too high for the player we drafted. And this year's draft, it looks like there is a player or two that we are not drafting high enough for. Hence, the need to push QBs higher up boards. 

I seriously hope the Chargers and maybe Jags are stupid. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Gruden is a guy pretty set in his ways. I can’t see him changing his offense to fit what a player  did in college. Most QBs are successful early on not because the players are smarter but because not much is changed between what they in college. Which is why some guys flame out. 

Gruden likes his offense as is. And wants the QBs to adjust to his system. It's one of the reasons that Gruden has never developed a QB on his own. And why I think it would be better for most rookie QBs to sit at least a year in Gruden's system (two years would be better IMO).