SBLIII

Melvin Gordon to demand trade if no deal in place come training camp

29 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Gordon's smart move is to sit out 10 games and hit FA.  The Market can then decide.  Gordon's fear would be a James Conner type situation where his production is easily replaced.  I do not know the Charger's offense to say if that is possible.  Conner in Pittsburgh just showed that the system works.

IMHO, the Chargers will not trade him for many of the reasons given in this thread.  Unless a team tosses a 2nd round pick at them.  Teams tend to overvalue their draft picks so I just do not see it happening.

The Chargers offense is a weird hybrid that has a mix of Lynn's running attacks from his days with Buffalo, Mike McCoy's quick strike passing, and Norv's playaction deep throws. I would like to say that Lynn likes having a primary three down back like Gordon, with spells from others like Ekeler. We won't know how this team will do in long run without Gordon, even though we saw a little bit of it last year in the 4 game stretch where he was gone and they had to rely on Ekeler, Justin Jackson, and Detrez Newsome. Not exactly household names,  especially the latter two, but Lynn's background as a RB coach seems to have helped in allowing this team to not miss a beat during that 4 game window.

I should have added that the Steelers had 2 years to really prepare for Bell's absence.  The Chargers do not have that luxury ( if Gordon sits out).

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I should have added that the Steelers had 2 years to really prepare for Bell's absence.  The Chargers do not have that luxury ( if Gordon sits out).

We’re ready.

10 hours ago, jebrick said:

Gordon's smart move is to sit out 10 games and hit FA.  The Market can then decide.  Gordon's fear would be a James Conner type situation where his production is easily replaced.  I do not know the Charger's offense to say if that is possible.  Conner in Pittsburgh just showed that the system works.

IMHO, the Chargers will not trade him for many of the reasons given in this thread.  Unless a team tosses a 2nd round pick at them.  Teams tend to overvalue their draft picks so I just do not see it happening.

I don't know that one single back is going to replace Gordon's production singlehandedly, but I'd be very confident, given what I've seen from Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson, that they could collectively pick up the slack left by him.  Gordon was due for TD regression this year for the same reason why, situationally, James Conner is: Both teams had a real knack in the red zone for receivers getting tackled at the 1-2 yard line, leaving a higher-than-average amount of goal-line carries for their respective running backs.  The Chargers OL certainly has it's question marks right now, but they're much more in the pass-blocking sphere than the run-block one.  They open holes at the 1st level pretty darn well.