College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

13 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

So "IF" Jeffrey Okudah was available at #10 and we did decide to draft him, do any of you think Greedy Williams could play Free Safety?  Mind you I would hope that we fill at least one tackle spot via free agency.  It's just a hypothetical.

Peace!!!

If not, we could absolutely use him in the slot. That said, he isn't escaping the Top 5.

37 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

So "IF" Jeffrey Okudah was available at #10 and we did decide to draft him, do any of you think Greedy Williams could play Free Safety?  Mind you I would hope that we fill at least one tackle spot via free agency.  It's just a hypothetical.

Peace!!!

*checks with Madden position change*

Yeah, we're a go.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I've seen them all except for Rondell Carter, and all of them are buttcheeks or non-factors. A few of them character risks that won't be allowed at the combine because of assaults history.

That 2nd round or 3rd round pro-bowl 43-DE isn't walking through that draft door.

Epenesa or Okwara... then don't waste a pick on one until the 5th round b/c rounds 2 through 4 it won't be worth it when there are better starter impact players at other positions.

I understand where your coming from, but as a former college football player.....I dont know if I would call these kids "buttCheeks" LOL, they may not translate to the pro's, but they have either dominated at their respective level's of play, or were Former 5 star recruits that ran into trouble....with the exception of Wonnum...who was not a huge recruit , but became a team captain his Soph year, put up good numbers, and then had a major injuries his Jr. year...bounced back his Sr. year and I like his ability.

Also meant to add, all these prospects I was talking about were meant to be 3rd day guy's or UDFA's.....but I like some of the ability to get to the QB out of some of these guy's.

I wanted to add some different and possibly overlooked guy's to the mix, as this year is TERRIBLE for DE's IMO.....I have only 3 DE's that carry a 1rst round grade (Young, Greenard, Epenesa) and two of them I have LATE 1rst/Early 2nd round grades on. IMO talent wise there is 1 DE that should be taken in the top 25 picks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Also meant to add, all these prospects I was talking about were meant to be 3rd day guy's or UDFA's.....but I like some of the ability to get to the QB out of some of these guy's.

I played as well... some maybe even many would say I was high on the cheeks scale even though I was a co-captain.

By cheeks, I simply meant non-factors at the next level and not worthy of imo a round 1 through 5 selection relative to the talent expected to be present at other positions.

As non-4th round 3rd day picks UDFAs, the list makes sense though I think there will be starters available at in the 5th at other non-Edge/DE positions given the depth of the WR, RB, CB, and TE classes. I'd opt for those positions over a replacement level DE.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If not, we could absolutely use him in the slot. That said, he isn't escaping the Top 5.

Man you would think that but look at Josh Allen last year. I think it’s definitely possible if people trade up for these QBs 

Okudah and Derrick Brown are really interesting options at 10. 

Larry O ain’t all that and Sheldon Richardson did well when we put him at DE. Id be really interested in making a move for him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I played as well... some maybe even many would say I was high on the cheeks scale even though I was a co-captain.

By cheeks, I simply meant non-factors at the next level and not worthy of imo a round 1 through 5 selection relative to the talent expected to be present at other positions.

As non-4th round 3rd day picks UDFAs, the list makes sense though I think there will be starters available at in the 5th at other non-Edge/DE positions given the depth of the WR, RB, CB, and TE classes. I'd opt for those positions over a replacement level DE.

tenor.gif?itemid=4606369

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cortes02 said:

Peace!!!

No. We would just roll with a nickel package and stick Ward in the slot.

...but I don't think we need Okudah. I think it'd be overkill and leave us with holes elsewhere.

Our 1st pick almost has to be an OT.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

...but I don't think we need Okudah. I think it'd be overkill and leave us with holes elsewhere.

A better ideal would be if we had a Shaun Wade hybrid type if you're going big nickel. He's great in the slot and as a push safety, is good at running the alley, a sure tackler, and is very versatile in coverage.

2 hours ago, cortes02 said:

Peace!!!

If he drops to us draft him period the biggest problem that this franchise has is not going bpa

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

If he drops to us draft him period the biggest problem that this franchise has is not going bpa

What makes you think we don't draft BPA?

And have you seen how crippled we were due to poor OL play? If it's Okudah and a dude like Wills or Wirfs, give me Wills/Wirfs before even thinking about Okudah. If we're looking at Okudah or Jeudy/Lamb, fine. I'll consider Okudah. But you can't pass up on one of the stud OT's this year to take a position in which we have virtually no need.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

-I agree Ward would slide right in at slot

-Also with Okudah, why not take something that's good and make it elite? An elite back end buys the DL that one extra second to get home (and the opposite with an elite DL) And if we could address DL too, we could have something big brewing

-I still think the smart decision is for the FO to use FA/Trade to address our needs. We don't need a Pro Bowler to fill these needs either, just steady and affective.  Doing this the we won't be pigeon holed into have to take an OT if a stud slides (Simmons, Okudah,Brown) and is staring us right in the face at 10. That would be the worst case scenario IMO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

But you can't pass up on one of the stud OT's this year to take a position in which we have virtually no need.

Yes you can, and should if it means deviating from a board to elevate a need above value, especially in a draft like this deep in OL.

In addition I do not think we can put CB in the "virtually no need" category.

Just look at last season and all the games we were playing CB-light.

While I have heard said that you can't assume injury, I think anyone who doesn't is a damned fool.

Especially when there are injury histories to factor into the equation(s).

Edited by bruceb
Complete thought
  • Like 1