College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

I think the interest in Cameron Clark from Charlotte is genuine. He’d be a nice project at RG.

He’s got great length, plays nasty, and has the athleticism for it. 

He was also a 2 time team captain.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yep. He's still got history. But my guess is he's a 2nd round pick now. Even in a year where everyone is risk averse.

If he goes higher then he pushes another guy down, possibly a guard. Maybe Hunt would have been there for our third. 

1st: Wills/Thomas/Becton/Wirfs/Jones

2nd: Ruiz/Jackson/Muti/Biadasz/Cushenberry/Wilson/Hunt

3rd: Driscoll/Kindley/Niang/Tega-Wanogo/Lemieux/

Maybe even more linemen go in the first three rounds. It seems like there are a lot of guys on the list already, though. Something tells me pick 74 will have a solid guard available if we want to go that route.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I think the interest in Cameron Clark from Charlotte is genuine. He’d be a nice project at RG.

He’s got great length, plays nasty, and has the athleticism for it. 

He was also a 2 time team captain.

how many lineman do you think they are going to carry? I dont know how many project guys you want to carry when you are pushing to compete. I would assume they would carry 8 guys

• Like 1

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Us meeting with TEs tells me Njoku might get traded. I could see him + draft pick for Trent Williams

Another thing also is many of those meetings occurred at the NFL Combine as was the case in the 'Building the Browns' combine video with TEs Trautman, Hunter Bryant, Harrison Bryant, etc.

All that was before Free Agency where Austin Hooper became a reality.

So, maybe their plans have changed. Then again, maybe they havent.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Niang

Niang is The epitome of cheeks.

As much as I love many of the Guard prospects and dislike Wyatt Teller, the Browns may not see RG as a position to spend a top 3 or even 4 round pick on that position, especially after they restructured Chris Hubbard and a lot of info from Gowns team media guys that suggests they may convert Hubbard to Guard in alignment with their p!at trait evaluation of him.

I think they're going to go LB and would target Kenneth Murray in a trade up from round 2, but I fear the guys like the Great Delphin, Ashtyn Davis, and Chinn all who have fallen bc they ain't it will be the direction they go.

Though if not LB, I hope they go value at WR  or even edge rusher.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Another thing also is many of those meetings occurred at the NFL Combine as was the case in the 'Building the Browns' combine video with TEs Trautman, Hunter Bryant, Harrison Bryant, etc.

All that was before Free Agency where Austin Hooper became a reality.

So, maybe their plans have changed. Then again, maybe they havent.

I think it’s also fair to consider they may want all of the above.

If we plan on running a lot of 2 TE sets, it would be wise to have 3 solid ones.

Add to that, if they aren’t certain they plan on retaining Njoku, getting his replacement in and starting then process of developing him would be forward thinking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think it’s also fair to consider they may want all of the above.

If we plan on running a lot of 2 TE sets, it would be wise to have 3 solid ones.

Add to that, if they aren’t certain they plan on retaining Njoku, getting his replacement in and starting then process of developing him would be forward thinking.

Indeed.

Also speaks to the old NFL roster-building axiom, "If you have 1, you have none ... if you have 2, you have one ... if you have 3, let it be," but in the Browns case where 2 TEs are starters then it stands to reason that the FO doesn't reduce its urgency building out that position group until it has 4 TEs it feels comfortable with.

Right now, having 2 is in essence having 1 in a different scheme so the roster building urgency is as if we have none. It's vitally important. Now, of course, the Browns have more urgent needs relative to the rest of the roster, but I'm still sure TE is up there in the top 6 needs in their minds.

19 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

You don't need to do a visit with everyone you're thinking about drafting, just the ones you need extra info on. My guess is they wanted to check OT chemistry with Callahan or maybe check in on off-field/motivation questions they had that would help them split hairs if necessary.

Or a smokescreen?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Niang is The epitome of cheeks.

As much as I love many of the Guard prospects and dislike Wyatt Teller, the Browns may not see RG as a position to spend a top 3 or even 4 round pick on that position, especially after they restructured Chris Hubbard and a lot of info from Gowns team media guys that suggests they may convert Hubbard to Guard in alignment with their p!at trait evaluation of him.

I think they're going to go LB and would target Kenneth Murray in a trade up from round 2, but I fear the guys like the Great Delphin, Ashtyn Davis, and Chinn all who have fallen bc they ain't it will be the direction they go.

Though if not LB, I hope they go value at WR  or even edge rusher.

I don’t like Niang either based on the tape I watched, but I heard I think it was Jeremiah? say that he was battling a terrible injury all season long. He dominated Chase Young when they played. 

I think Niang can be good, but I questioned his toughness on tape. And then I heard that he was fighting a brutal injury and was considered a very tough dude for gutting it out this season. Still, not a big fan, but a bit of info on him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don’t like Niang either based on the tape I watched, but I heard I think it was Jeremiah? say that he was battling a terrible injury all season long. He dominated Chase Young when they played. 

I think Niang can be good, but I questioned his toughness on tape. And then I heard that he was fighting a brutal injury and was considered a very tough dude for gutting it out this season. Still, not a big fan, but a bit of info on him. 

That's funny.

If what Jeremiah says is true it makes a ton of sense as when I watched him all I saw was a guy that looked injured.

Below is what I thought about him when I got done watching him of course that there is actually a real injury does put his play into a real context, but even still he's too stiff and doesn't have the anchor or movement skills to bet on at the next level imo beyond a late late pick.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:54 PM, Mind Character said:
On 2/1/2020 at 5:04 PM, BrownsDog23 said:

What are your thoughts on Lucas Niang?

I wanted to like him.

I kept hearing people talk about how good he was and how high he should be ranked.

I kept feeling like I was just convincing myself that he was better than I actually was seeing.

The tough thing about Niang is that he always looks like he's battling a bum knee or injury of some type.

He has solid lateral agility and uses the Packers/Campen/Bulaga/Baktiari outside hold technique really well. He's really stiff, big upper body, smaller lower body, not a strong anchor, and against top competition he gets consistently exposed badly.

Anybody who has done more research than me have a opinion on Antoine Winfield v. Ashtyn Davis in the 2nd? Would love to snag one coming back around in the 2nd. Winfield looks like a potential stud and didnt realize he was as versatile as he is.

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Anybody who has done more research than me have a opinion on Antoine Winfield v. Ashtyn Davis in the 2nd? Would love to snag one coming back around in the 2nd. Winfield looks like a potential stud and didnt realize he was as versatile as he is.

Did Ashtyn Davis’s dad play for OSU?

Not sure what else there is to know?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Our next Joe Schobert with a diluted sample. 
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001109404/article/zack-baun-tests-positive-for-diluted-sample-at-combine

If only I knew a Wisconsin/Browns fan who could vouch for this guy.

@ramssuperbowl99

I don't love Baun as an NFL player funny enough. Then again, I thought Schobert would be JAG too.

For Baun, I don't think he's a natural pass rusher and he doesn't have the ideal length.

• Like 1