GDT Week 1, Packers @ Bears

malagabears

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

Me too.  I'm so frustrated that we didnt even abide by the basic rules of football 101.  You run when they want you to pass and you pass when they want you to run.  People are really focusing on Mitch bc of 3 of his 45 throws.  This loss is more on the playcalling than anything in my opinion.

I'll agree with that to an extent. With the caveat being that Mitch did not do himself or the offense any favors today. Nagy called an abysmal game but Mitch still needs to play better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pool said:

I think Tru will be the fall guy if we don't see a massive improvement on offense by the end of the season. This year will prove if he is the guy or not and I do not see them sticking with him next year if they don't think he is.

I hoped he was but seeming less and less likely...

2 minutes ago, dafreak said:

I dont like being fed bull**** but maybe you do....

Reigning exec of the year who has built one of the best and youngest rosters in all the nfl.  Reigning coach of the year who has changed the culture after 6 non playoff seasons of previous 3 regime's, and the QB who had the highest single season passer rating in franchise history.  All coming off a division title and 12 wins.  Yeah those 3 guys are on real short leashes.

1 minute ago, dafreak said:

Tru is not good. Who do you blame for taking and hyping him?

They got to the playoffs last year with him, and have the best defense on the NFL. That alone will keep them from being on a "short leash" as you said. Regardless of Tru being bad, average, or great your previous statement was obviously wrong. Period. 

3 minutes ago, Pool said:

I'll agree with that to an extent. With the caveat being that Mitch did not do himself or the offense any favors today. Nagy called an abysmal game but Mitch still needs to play better.

No argument from me, as I said he made 2 bad decisions, got away with one, didnt with the other.  Unfortunately in a tight game like tonight, 1 mistake was all it took to lose.  

7 minutes ago, Pool said:

I think Tru will be the fall guy if we don't see a massive improvement on offense by the end of the season. This year will prove if he is the guy or not and I do not see them sticking with him next year if they don't think he is.

Unless Tru has a horrendously bad year, no way he isnt the QB next year as well.  Hes cheap and hes more than good enough to win a superbowl with.

57 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

30 games in and I am just not seeing it from Mitch.

Same poor mechanics

Same poor decisions

My biggest issue with him is that he locks on to one guy and doesn't go through his progressions like a good QB does.  This allows the defense to track the ball way easier and jump or disrupt pass plays, which we saw many of tonight. 

His footwork looks ok but definitely needs to start seeing the field better.

Now I don't know if this is by design with Nagy trying to simplify things for Mitch but either way you look at it it's not very encouraging.

This was rough.  How many times have the bears been able to hold an Aaron Rodgers Packers team to only 10 points?  It’s rare, you can’t waste such a defensive performance like that.

I gotta echo what most everyone else is saying about the offense - it’s disheartening to see that crap performance especially after all the hype.  Trubisky didn’t look much different from his rookie days, he didn’t get help from anyone, penalties shot themselves in the foot, and playcalling was atrocious.  Why got for it on 4th and 10 when you’re in FG range, down 4, and an entire quarter or so of football left to go?  Did Nagy not have confidence in Eddy?  Did he forget they cut Parkey after last season?  Or was he just trying to be cute there?

My head says that this is only one game that has virtually no tangible effect on my actual life.  And quite frankly, outside of more turnovers, the collective offensive performance can’t get a whole lot worse than what we saw tonight.  So...silver lining...i guess?

My heart says things that would get me banned from this site if i were to repeat them.  Losing the first game of the year, at home, after a soul crushing playoff loss, with so much hype, and to the Packers makes this one hurt bad.  

At least they’ve got a couple extra days to prepare for Denver in week 2.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Just because a team is playing 5-6 DBs doesn't mean you can't execute passing plays. We saw plenty of open receivers either ignored or completely missed.

But worst of all is that we're still limited to half-field or 2 man reads in the passing game. Everything is designed to be simple.

Please point this out on the all 22, I dare you.  I bet we can even get a volunteer to upload the film from gamepass like@JustAnotherFan

Let me explain football 101 since you clearly dont understand, 6 DBs against 11 personnel.  Meand you have 6 DBs covering 3 WRs 1 RB 1 TE.  That's 6 on 5. Advantage defense at best (if my TE or RB has to help protect its 6 on 4 or even 6 on 3, that's everybody doubled in case you dont know the math).  Now you can play zone, you can shade, man over, coverage options are virtually limitless.  Against Nickel its 5 on 5 its man or soft zone.  If you try and blitz, you leave a hot route open and that's probably chunk yardage.  Big difference between throwing against Nickel vs Dime.  You are not going to be consistently successful throwing against dime coverage.  

Let's look at the inverse:

11 personnel against 5 in the box running.  Now I have 6 on 5 advantage offense.  If I keep my TE in it becomes 7 on 5.  The whole running playbook is open to me, I can run inside/outside zone, power, trap, counter.  Odds are better than even that you are going to get past the first level, and once you do its chunk yardage.  

Furthermore by running against a soft box consistently now they have to pull somebody into the box, this in turn opens up the passing game, playacting becomes more meaningful, opening the deep field.  

This is basic football.  Nothing to do with play design, just a simple knowledge of math.  The thing is (and the analytics backs this up) it's not about the success rate, it's about the attempts.  The attempts is what forces the defense to make the adjustment bc they have to worry about the chunk yardage available beyond the front lines.  Just by keeping reasonable balance (say 40-45%) the defense has to respect it and it just makes them play honest.  That defense didnt play honest tonight.  They cheated the pass and Nagy never made them change. It was not set up well for Trubisky with that gameplan.

20 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Unless Tru has a horrendously bad year, no way he isnt the QB next year as well.  Hes cheap and hes more than good enough to win a superbowl with.

In order to win a Superbowl you need a QB who can win games for you. Teams are too good on offense nowadays...you can't just rely on a really good defense to win you games...as seen tonight.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

In order to win a Superbowl you need a QB who can win games for you. Teams are too good on offense nowadays...you can't just rely on a really good defense to win you games...as seen tonight.

If Parkey hits the FG, Tru and the Bears (presumably with Eddie Jackson) go to LA and face the would be NFC champs.  A team they completely dominated the month prior.  Tru is good enough to win a Superbowl with.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

If Parkey hits the FG, Tru and the Bears (presumably with Eddie Jackson) go to LA and face the would be NFC champs.  A team they completely dominated the month prior.  Tru is good just average enough to maybe win a Superbowl with.

FTFY