GDT Week 1, Packers @ Bears

malagabears

10 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Whoever was saying Mitch was an MVP candidate this season is a complete moron.  That's extremely high expectations for a guy at this stage in his pro QB development.

I think it's still a bit premature to say he's going to be this or not going to be that. 

Though I get that people expect to see more at this point (myself included) and have their doubts about his long term potential as a starter.  

The thing I keep telling myself is that Alex Smith said this offense take 3 years to truly master.  Mitch is only in year 2 of it but that's not a good enough excuse. He needs to show by the end of this year that he is undoubtedly the guy this team needs to move forward with because this dominant defense won't last forever.

At what point does Nagy start talking about year 4 in the system?

We have been through this, waiting for something to happen that the evidence tells us is not going to happen.

1 minute ago, dafreak said:

No, no, no....Do not go there with that 3-year talk...lol..!

That is what I'm holding up right now because everything else is I'm seeing or reading is telling me otherwise and I don't want to lose confidence or make any rash judgement prematurely.

Really though, Nagy needs to pick his **** up.  His play calling and use of personnel hasn't been that good overall.

It's easy to sit here as arm chair coaches and say they should have done this or that, but it doesn't take a qualified NFL coach to realize that they should have mixed up the play calls better last night.  I just don't get why coaches try to get too cute or out smart themselves in the games that matter.  That's what preseason is for.

For all the praise that Nagy got for resurrecting this team in his coach of the year season last year, I would have given more credit to Pace for getting Mack and Fangio coordinating the D, because the offense wasn't anything to write home about last season.

Jury is very well out on Nagy because he was brought in to do one thing, fix this offense, and so far it has been underwhelming.  So again, that's why I keep going back to that 3 year comment.  

Took the day off today with the hopes that I'd be celebrating last night.

Wrong.

Went to the dive bar next door anyway and there was a Bears fan there doing the same thing I was. After a couple we got to talking (venting/bitching) and it was cathartic. We agreed that this game was on Nagy... the defense played brilliantly and we did nothing to augment their dominance. What in the mother **** was he thinking with some of his play calls? I didn't have an issue with the 3rd and short run to Patterson -- doesn't matter if it was the Fridge back there, Daniels got smoked and that play was destroyed from the get go.

The one that drives me crazy is when he got too cute and expected Shaheen to just pop open on a short flare route. Completely maddening. He needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and realize this offense just might not be as good as he was hoping or expecting. Run the god damned ball, control the clock, give Mitch some clean looks off play-action. It's typical boring Chicago Bears football, but man I just don't know what the **** to do anymore with this team.

Every defensive coordinator we are facing this year is going to devour this tape and realize how to mess with Mitch... keep mixing coverages and keep disguising pre-snap. It's a shame because I was hoping this year we would take a step offensively -- maybe we still will -- but right now it seems like we have to put the training wheels back on and lean heavily on the defense while we try to see if Mitch Trubisky is actually a franchise QB.

Freaking sucks.

Edited by G08

I am not sure I can ever blame a loss on Trubisky when he is begin asked to throw the ball 45 times in a game...

No doubt he had some bad throws and the INT was solely on him...but Nagy never put him in a position to win...drops from Shaheen and Davis on what should have been easy completions also didn't help...nor did the shocking amount of penalties...this offence wasn't ready for this game and never found any traction...next offseason we might need to go back to playing some preseason snaps with the firsts if they can't figure it out...hopefully this has been a reality check for everyone on that side of the ball because we can't waste this defence.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I am not sure I can ever blame a loss on Trubisky when he is begin asked to throw the ball 45 times in a game...

No doubt he had some bad throws and the INT was solely on him...but Nagy never put him in a position to win...drops from Shaheen and Davis on what should have been easy completions also didn't help...nor did the shocking amount of penalties...this offence wasn't ready for this game and never found any traction...next offseason we might need to go back to playing some preseason snaps with the firsts if they can't figure it out...hopefully this has been a reality check for everyone on that side of the ball because we can't waste this defence.

Nagy was very bad, it is not possible to ignore that.

But, we have seen far more good from Nagy. Trubisky continues to be the biggest liability on this team.

We had this same species of thread last year,  something like "what if Mitch is not the guy?" Same questions.  After a while, that thread felt a little premature and reactionary, but this one doesn't.  

He had issues with mechanics and vision last year, and the same problems were all over the field last night.  So maybe his feet were more deliberate, but man did he sail some throws.  And I understand the Packers' defense was being mean, but our guy is looking stupid out there missing receivers and looking panicked.

The Bears will have good games this year, but I've got the same old feeling that he's always going to be like this. 

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

We had this same species of thread last year,  something like "what if Mitch is not the guy?" Same questions.  After a while, that thread felt a little premature and reactionary, but this one doesn't.  

He had issues with mechanics and vision last year, and the same problems were all over the field last night.  So maybe his feet were more deliberate, but man did he sail some throws.  And I understand the Packers' defense was being mean, but our guy is looking stupid out there missing receivers and looking panicked.

The Bears will have good games this year, but I've got the same old feeling that he's always going to be like this. 

Last year those threads were premature.

17 games later, they are justified.

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Well, until further notice this is a very good team that will need to hide their QB to win big games, at least that's my take.  Drafting a QB is usually a crapshoot,  feels like we missed the table. 

We could have traded back and gotten Mahomes...lol...

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Nagy was very bad, it is not possible to ignore that.

But, we have seen far more good from Nagy. Trubisky continues to be the biggest liability on this team.

No doubt and I am far from saying Nagy isn't a fantastic coach...just on this night he got it wrong...like I said the whole side of the ball better get a reality check before next week.

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

No doubt and I am far from saying Nagy isn't a fantastic coach...just on this night he got it wrong...like I said the whole side of the ball better get a reality check before next week.

Nagy did nothing to help Trubisky. But I will add, I really don't like how jittery Mitch looked in the pocket and even moreso I hated how he kept locking onto his first read. He just didn't know what the hell Pettine was doing, IMO. Great job by him, by the way, to neuter our offense.

My quick fix? Run the damn ball, lean hard on Montgomery and build off that.