GDT Week 1, Packers @ Bears

malagabears

30 minutes ago, G08 said:

Nagy did nothing to help Trubisky. But I will add, I really don't like how jittery Mitch looked in the pocket and even moreso I hated how he kept locking onto his first read. He just didn't know what the hell Pettine was doing, IMO. Great job by him, by the way, to neuter our offense.

My quick fix? Run the damn ball, lean hard on Montgomery and build off that.

It was disheartening to see just how pathetic it was on offense.

I was expecting a step forward, instead I saw a massive step back. I do not expect everyone to arrive at the same spot at the same time, but I am pretty much at the point where I do not think Mitch is going to be that good. I see a ceiling that is not as a top 10 QB, but as a game manager who has occasional flashes of brilliance and occasional flashes of terrible.

I have become increasingly worried that we picked the wrong QB and it appears that those worries are justified.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It was disheartening to see just how pathetic it was on offense.

I was expecting a step forward, instead I saw a massive step back. I do not expect everyone to arrive at the same spot at the same time, but I am pretty much at the point where I do not think Mitch is going to be that good. I see a ceiling that is not as a top 10 QB, but as a game manager who has occasional flashes of brilliance and occasional flashes of terrible.

I have become increasingly worried that we picked the wrong QB and it appears that those worries are justified.

I don;t think there's any question that Pace picked the wrong guy out of the options he had to choose from of Mahomes, Watson and Trubs.

Then again, that doesn't mean that he can't still go on to have a respectable career as the Bears QB and achieve the ultimate success.

45 minutes ago, G08 said:

Nagy did nothing to help Trubisky. But I will add, I really don't like how jittery Mitch looked in the pocket and even moreso I hated how he kept locking onto his first read. He just didn't know what the hell Pettine was doing, IMO. Great job by him, by the way, to neuter our offense.

My quick fix? Run the damn ball, lean hard on Montgomery and build off that.

While the playcalling was bad, the entire design of the offense is predicated on helping Mitch. The pre-snap motion and personnel shuffling are supposed to help him pre-snap. His progressions are simple and most of the throws are simple.

Anthony Miller was targeted 1 time in this entire game. I simply can't believe that would be the case if there were a veteran QB under center.

33 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

While the playcalling was bad, the entire design of the offense is predicated on helping Mitch. The pre-snap motion and personnel shuffling are supposed to help him pre-snap. His progressions are simple and most of the throws are simple.

Anthony Miller was targeted 1 time in this entire game. I simply can't believe that would be the case if there were a veteran QB under center.

This is a good point. I want someone to look through the film and determine if Miller's lack of targets were a result of not being open or rather a QB who is locking on to his first read?

2 hours ago, dafreak said:

Your defense did look good but was that a product of Pettine or of Mitch....

That's what we are going to find out.

Just guessing Pettine.

He was bluff blitzing everywhere.  Secondary was sitting on some throws and the pass rush was getting home.

I guess the thing that struck me most was the physicality of the Packer defense.  Much more aggressive than prior years.  More intense, too.  Ball carriers went backwards.  Corners and safeties were coming up and jumping routes.  Remember, to us it is a huge win to NOT have a WR running all by his lonesome 25+ yards downfield.  That had become an all too often occurrence the past few years.

We shall see next week with Cousins, Cooks, Diggs and Theilen.  Oh, and Rudolph.  Gonna be another huge game and test.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just guessing Pettine.

He was bluff blitzing everywhere.  Secondary was sitting on some throws and the pass rush was getting home.

I guess the thing that struck me most was the physicality of the Packer defense.  Much more aggressive than prior years.  More intense, too.  Ball carriers went backwards.  Corners and safeties were coming up and jumping routes.  Remember, to us it is a huge win to NOT have a WR running all by his lonesome 25+ yards downfield.  That had become an all too often occurrence the past few years.

We shall see next week with Cousins, Cooks, Diggs and Theilen.  Oh, and Rudolph.  Gonna be another huge game and test.

I'd with you good luck but I just can't... :D

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just guessing Pettine.

There is a confidence in the defense that was not there the last couple of years. Attitude is so important in the game. I feel like the Bears D has that same edge starting last year. 

14 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Ah gotcha. I assumed the play was always meant to be a playaction pass, not an RPO, matching the rest of Nagy's refusal to run the ball. 

Even Mitch admitted he blew it.

Can someone tell me why we dumped Howard then signed Davis and drafted Montgomery if Nagy won't unbridled himself from his addiction to calling pass plays or other cutesy stuff like using CP on that other 3rd and 1.

To be honest if I was Pace I'd be righteously indignant today.  Should Helfrich take over play calling?

As stated today is a day of excuses without a single reason for how when they had weeks......f'n weeks to prepare for this game they game out with a game plan that looked like GB surprised them somehow and to make matters worse Nagy couldn't even adjust!

I'm a fact driven guy and the facts are all too obvious.  Nagy and his offensive staff were not well prepared for this matchup and neither was Trubisky.  He was all adrenaline and lacked any coolness or confidence in himself or the play calls.  I might have expected that out of a #2 QB who have little game or practice experience in this offense but that's not the case so his excuses don't cut it either.

That said, I'm better off not saying more.  It may not be appreciated today.

I see a few of you blaming the defense or certain member of the defense......get real.  They held GB to 250 yards total offense and 10 f'n points.

Yeah, HHC-D got hosed on a school yard hope and a prayer bomb and Bush followed it by being out of position on the TD catch but did you all seriously think they were gonna keep Rodgers off the board all night.  Most of what succeeded were his school yard plays.

You can start your 12 step recovery by looking at where the blame lies.

Pagano's guys were more than up to the challenge but Nagy's......icon_puke.gif

Yeah that's right.  It was actually sickening.

If that defense can contain an Aaron Rodgers that well I don't think we'll have too many concerns on that side of the ball and if HHC-D can't handle his assignments someone else will.

Look at the facts.  Nagy boasted all preseason about Trubisky's growth and confidence NONE.....lemme say it again, NONE of which was evident last night.  Nor was Nagy's growth as a game planner and play caller of his own offense and what's worse other than simply taking the responsibility for that crap show (duh) he really didn't evince he had any clue of what it all failed.  That's scary.

The defense had zero to do with that loss.

21 minutes ago, soulman said:

Even Mitch admitted he blew it.

Can someone tell me why we dumped Howard then signed Davis and drafted Montgomery if Nagy won't unbridled himself from his addiction to calling pass plays or other cutesy stuff like using CP on that other 3rd and 1.

To be honest if I was Pace I'd be righteously indignant today.  Should Helfrich take over play calling?

As stated today is a day of excuses without a single reason for how when they had weeks......f'n weeks to prepare for this game they game out with a game plan that looked like GB surprised them somehow and to make matters worse Nagy couldn't even adjust!

I'm a fact driven guy and the facts are all too obvious.  Nagy and his offensive staff were not well prepared for this matchup and neither was Trubisky.  He was all adrenaline and lacked any coolness or confidence in himself or the play calls.  I might have expected that out of a #2 QB who have little game or practice experience in this offense but that's not the case so his excuses don't cut it either.

That said, I'm better off not saying more.  It may not be appreciated today.

That was Nagy's worst game by a wide margin. Horrible decision making and situational football.

Added to the list of questionable aspects of this game:

Not kicking the 51 yarder and instead going for it on 4th and 10. You picked this guy in large part because of his leg. He hit from 53 in pre-game and said he was comfortable from 55. The conditions were nearly perfect and the offense gave no indication it could convert a 4th and 10.

At some point you need to stop babying these guys and let them sink or swim.

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think we have to realize that the NFL now has 17 games of Nagy's offense/tendencies on tape and they have potentially figured him out.

The question is: can he adjust?

Well whatever hope I held onto after last night is gone. 

Time to start the draft prep.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Well whatever hope I held onto after last night is gone. 

Time to start the draft prep.

The radio suggested that this could be Marc Trestman part deux... I highly doubt this is the case. Nagy got his balls ripped off and handed to him -- first time he's really had this type of adversity in his head coaching career -- I'm curious to see if/how he adjusts.