GDT Week 1, Packers @ Bears

malagabears

On 9/2/2019 at 6:23 PM, dll2000 said:

7. We have the best OLB in the game and he is hungry and in shape this year.  Had a lot of fun watching GB try to block Mack.  Great chess game.  Mack's unreal.  

8. We have a top 5 DL in game. Eh.  I don't think top 5.  Top 15, for sure.  Maybe even two in the top 15.  And still it didn't matter. Though a couple guys beat up Lane Taylor pretty good.  

9. We have best ILB duo in game.  (Go watch Roquan play in 2nd Packers game, then go watch Kwit play in first one).   Roquan showed up in the first series, then was kindda silent.  Have to figure he was part of a great coverage unit.

10. We have best play making safety in the game.  Who?  No one showed up last night.  Two best safeties last night were on GB's roster.

11. We have solid cornerbacks.  Fuller is good.  Didn't hear Prince's name...was he the one that made our pathetic receiver Allison invisible?  Or was he the corner on MVS when he got the bomb?

12.  Name two better returners than Patterson on KR and Cohen on PR.  GB's specials were at least equal to Chicago's.  Game ball to JK Scott (Jamie from Progressive), the Packers punter.

13.  Allen Robinson is way, way better this year than most of last year.  Better than I thought.  Looks faster this year.

14. ALL of our RBs can now catch the football and make a play with it once they do.  Cohen had a nice night.

15. Aaron Rodgers has a stupid mustache and it raises red flags.  No mustache and he was the difference in the game.

16. Packers are way over rating their FA acquisitions because they are shiny and new.  Elevating them to all-pro status because collectively they are better or something.  They are decent to good journey men players.  Man, this looks even sillier now.  Our edge play was light years better than it has been in year.  Z Smith is the real deal.  P Smith ain't too shabby, too.  Amos was as good as advertised.  Our rookie safety, Savage, was breaking on balls all night.  Didn't look like a rookie.

17. Floyd is playing for a contract so he is going to give you every thing he has.  He did.  I thought he played a great game.  Best I've seen from him.

BOOM! @beardown3231 We got this!  ...thanks for the good game.  I can't recall a win being this delicious.  Chicago has a great team and just an outstanding defense.  You are going to win a lot of games and that game at Lambeau could be critical.  I wish you well until then!  Oh....and for the record, I feel like Chicago still has a better defense than GB.  But GB's defense was great last night as well.  The difference in the game was at the quarterback position.  Rodgers made a few plays, Trubisky did not.

On 9/4/2019 at 10:22 AM, dll2000 said:

@beardown3231

I have said repeatedly think the big knocks on HHCD aren't all fair.   Remember there was one play last year where ARob quit on a route and then didn't chase on interception. Literally one play, not saying it's acceptable, but he didn't repeat it.   A lot of Bears fans said they would never, ever forgive him for it.  They did, but it took probably the Philly game for a lot of them.

Well HHCD had about 4 or 5 of those plays for Packers and they cannot forgive him for it.   He just made low effort tackle on a big player coming at him or incidents like that.  Business decisions as Deion Sanders used to say.   Not a great way to earn fan love.  They were few and far between in volume of plays, but they happened.   But, everything is his fault now as that hatred doesn't die. 

Let me explain his situation.  He played single high safety on vast majority of snaps for GB and Wash. and when I say high I mean high.  He was 20+ yards deep.  4 secs into many plays he was facing 2 WRs coming at 12+ yards and open.   What do you do?   You can either take one guy and leave other wide open or split the difference and hope QB makes a bad throw.  Either way you are usually screwed as the deep safety.  There is literally no way to look good in that situation.   Eddie Jackson is better on his break than just about anybody, BUT he gets to do it at 3 secs vs. 4 AND there isn't usually two wide open receivers entering the deep zone.   That is huge.  

Then on runs and screens HHCD is coming from way deep and one on one with a WR or RB with 5-10 yards of open space between him and the runner.   You think that is easy to handle you have never played defense at any level of football.   The great Eddie Jackson struggles there too, most every does, it's hard.  

Conversely when you watch Amos, because of his role in scheme and players around him he is within arms reach of a defender every time the ball arrives.  He rarely played deep at snap.   It isn't a fair comparison in the least.  When Amos was forced into a situation where he had to make an open field play with space, just like HHCD was on the regular, he struggled.

Having said all that I think because of aggressive nature of defense there is going to be perceived 'mistakes' from all secondary, that is nature of the beast.  But they aren't really mistakes so much as you blitzed and got burned for it as somebody leaked out where a blitzed man was or a somebody got behind defense in man.  It happens.

Trying to compare two is really hard and not really apt.  Amos played near LINE OF SCRIMMAGE and HHCD played deep.  

There's just so much wrong with this post.

HHCD was THE chosen playmaker in a defensive secondary that lacked playmakers.  There were defensive gameplans put into place that had him freed up to make the big, gamechanging play.  And he was late to the party.  Repeatedly.  His teammates knew it, because at the end of the play, which was usually a first down, they looked at him and then shook their heads.

HHCD made a "business decision" the second he arrived at his Pro Bowl.  His decision was to not get hurt to cash in on his Pro Bowl appearance.  And that business decision has cost him millions of dollars.

It wasn't one play, or 4-5 plays.  It was a season and a half worth of poor safety play from a guy who was ascending to be one of the best safeties in the league.  A season and a half.

And he was so bad in Washington that they simply gave up on him....despite losing a 4'th round pick in the process.

He was pretty invisible last night.  Made a few tackles in the box, though.  Threw his body in there nicely a time or two.  If I were you?  I'd take that as a good sign.  

On our side, we are happy that ole Spatula hands came through big.

This is what happens when Cutler is allowed on a Bears field. He's always made everyone worse now he does it with out playing 😂😂

Seriously though. Deon Bush should never be allowed to see the field. If we want to run a 3 safety set (s) we need a third safety. 

Also keep in mind we lost to GB last season week 1 and it wasn't the worst season.  

1 minute ago, Damikeeeee said:

This is what happens when Cutler is allowed on a Bears field. He's always made everyone worse now he does it with out playing 😂😂

Seriously though. Deon Bush should never be allowed to see the field. If we want to run a 3 safety set (s) we need a third safety. 

Also keep in mind we lost to GB last season week 1 and it wasn't the worst season.  

We all felt much more optimistic after last years week 1 loss...

7 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

You are going to win a lot of games this year.  

As a GB fan, we hoped that this would be our defense, but we had no clue.  We haven't seen it, yet.  Only beat writers have.

It's actually good to lose this game.  As a team you can grow from both wins and losses.  I know that GB will grow from that win.  Guessing it does nothing but PO the Bears and they will come back hard the next few games.

36 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

A lot right with this post, but "who" in response to the best safety is kind of you being a tool. Come on. If you really wouldn't take Jackson over Amos or Savage, you're nuts. Just because he didn't make a big play yesterday doesn't mean he isn't arguably the best FS in football.

Also, in regards to your final paragraph, I'd have to think the last time you would've felt this way was week 1 last year, unless you're more excited about a 10-3 win than an absolutely remarkable come from behind home win.

19 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

Why?

Also weren't expected to win that one in Nagy's debut on the road against biggest rival in a hostile environment.

This year the expectations are higher and you cannot lose those key divisional games at home.  This one may come back to bite us.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Also weren't expected to win that one in Nagy's debut on the road against biggest rival in a hostile environment.

This year the expectations are higher and you cannot lose those key divisional games at home.  This one may come back to bite us.

I do not even care about the loss.

It was the fact that Mitch and Nagy both looked terrible and were slapped around.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I do not even care about the loss.

It was the fact that Mitch and Nagy both looked terrible and were slapped around.

I am on the same page.  The loss doesn't really sting that much.  I figured it was a 50/50 game.

I know Nagy will respond but how will Mitch?  His confidence has to be a bit shaken after all the boos and criticism of his play from last night.

We'll see how mentally tough this kid really is.  Sounded like he was going to cry in the post game presser last night.

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I am on the same page.  The loss doesn't really sting that much.  I figured it was a 50/50 game.

I know Nagy will respond but how will Mitch?  His confidence has to be a bit shaken after all the boos and criticism of his play from last night.

We'll see how mentally tough this kid really is.  Sounded like he was going to cry in the post game presser last night.

Maybe he is realizing all the hard work, leadership, and great attitude is not translating on to the field.

The Bears can love his makeup and how he is in the building, doesn't mean anything if he is an inconsistent and average QB. 

1 minute ago, Damikeeeee said:

Everyone needs to take a deep breath. It's hard to game plan for an O when you have no clue what they're gonna do. Let GB show some tendencies. If I was a betting man I think we have a better final 15+ games than them. 

Game planning the O was not the issue.

The issue was our HC and QB getting embarrassed by a defense and DC they have seen before.