2019 Week 2 PACKERS vs vikings GAME DAY THREAD

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Our front 7 is better and so is our defense. 

Are you sure?

Last year they didn't keep the Bears from scoring a TD.

I'll give you Linval = Clark to show good intention.

Zad > any interior rusher you have. Danielle > any EDGE we have. Ill say they're a push at holding an edge.

Everson is little more than solid at this point. Preston has shown to be a solid player.

Martinez = Kendricks.

Our interior behind our main guys are all unproven. Though I'd say you don't have a DT that's equal to Lowry even behind Linval.

So that leaves Barr, an interesting piece we don't have but isn't an all star either, he hasn't even produced a year like Fackrell had last year.

If you didn't have Harrison I'd say our D is looking better going forward. Pending how you feel about Savage things look to be leveling off there as Harrison continues to age past 30.

Pettine V Zimmer is an interesting debate. I'll take Pettine, I'm sure you'd take Zimmer.

For sure you have to be worried about the pipeline coming into that D. 2 players drafted in the first 4 rounds the last 2 years. They definitely aren't getting better, hopefully stagnation is enough! Though I hear if you're not getting better you're getting worse in this league.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Has Cousins ever lost to the Packers? 

Davante has never had more than 70 yards against Rhodes.

You can deal with Dalvin for real this time.

A lot has changed since 2017 in fact almost everything. The spread between the two teams over 2 games last year was 7 points. The smugness in the "Cousins ever lost to the Packers" argument.. Plus you KNOW you should've lost the tie game, whether you admit it or not.

But he has had 4 TDs in the last 5 games. (only played 1 game in 2017, 4 of the last 4 games but we'll include all the seasons worth of games for clarity)

You can deal with Jaire and King for real this time? Is anyone scared of Dalvin any more than you are of A. Jones?

2 hours ago, TheEagle said:

Don't really get this take. I thinks he's 2-1-1 against the Packers, a bad call from being 2-2. He lost a home playoff game to the Packers.

It is a weak take. Cousins record against Green Bay essentially reflects his life time record vs playoff teams and sub .500 teams;

His wins are;

2016- home-  This was the last loss before the run the table stretch. Essentially beat a  team that wasn’t playing well (4-6) that had a bottom 5 D.

2018- last year in late November.. enough said

Ties-

2018-  road- Tied a team that went 6-9-1. In the second half shredded a bad D playing prevent (should have been a L, still a tie).

Loss-

2015- Home playoff loss against a decent team. The D was decent and healthy, offense was meh (280 lb Eddie lacy, Abby, Janis).

6 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Has Cousins ever lost to the Packers? 

Davante has never had more than 70 yards against Rhodes.

Legit stud CB's - That happened after one game?

Zimmer gives Rodgers a ton of problems. He's 5-4-1 after starting 0-3. 

Our front 7 is better and so is our defense. 

You can deal with Dalvin for real this time.

We beat him in the playoffs a few years ago. Regardless, he’s a bad QB.

Both CBS have been very good when playing. 

You missed the poi t of the post. The talent level is much closer than it has been. 

11 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I did! Actually I brought up how Aaron Rodgers to beat us needs to learn to throw the short routes instead of scramble and only look downfield. Actually brought up a convo with a few of you packer fans who thought the same thing.

is it something you guys notice too? It always seems like instead of just dumping the ball to the wide open RB, he is consistently looking down field when scrambling away. If he sees nothing open he tends to just throw it away, when 5 seconds earlier he could of hit the dump off man. 

It seems like he used to be so good at it. But now his eyes are just stuck downfield, which is good, but I do actually see it as a bit of a worry for him.

(this is coming from the biggest Vikings/Rodgers fan)

it just bugs me a lot of times when he wants 20 and tosses it out of bounds when there was 6-7 yards that were easy.

Again.  I hate how you know this.

I don't think Rodgers has regressed, I think defenses have adjusted to him.  Playing him and his MO.

He needs to enhance his awareness, he needs to take this lesser plays.  Over time those plays will set up bigger potentials when defenses realize he's now nickel and diming them all the way to the end zone.

12 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I did! Actually I brought up how Aaron Rodgers to beat us needs to learn to throw the short routes instead of scramble and only look downfield. Actually brought up a convo with a few of you packer fans who thought the same thing.

is it something you guys notice too? It always seems like instead of just dumping the ball to the wide open RB, he is consistently looking down field when scrambling away. If he sees nothing open he tends to just throw it away, when 5 seconds earlier he could of hit the dump off man. 

It seems like he used to be so good at it. But now his eyes are just stuck downfield, which is good, but I do actually see it as a bit of a worry for him.

it just bugs me a lot of times when he wants 20 and tosses it out of bounds when there was 6-7 yards that were easy.

It's not so much throwing to the RBs (plug your ears @Outpost31). Rodgers hasn't thrown the hot well lately. He used to destroy the blitz, the ball would be in Jordy's or James Jones or GJ's hands 1-2 seconds after the snap and they'd have YAC room in a blitz depleted secondary.

Now he double clutches and looks at the rush. Not sure if the last injury hurt his mental state under pressure? Seems counterproductive to take more hits rather than get the ball out, but ever since the Barr hit, that's where we've been. Before he'd extend plays when checkdowns were available, but he was lethal enough in other areas (like throwing the hot route) that it didn't matter. 

People forget that before the Barr hit he was 47/6 TD/INT and we were 12-2 after he said we were running the table. He was playing close to the 2011 level. That bastard really screwed us. I'd love nothing more than this to be the revival game for Rodgers.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

It's not so much throwing to the RBs (plug your ears @Outpost31). Rodgers hasn't thrown the hot well lately. He used to destroy the blitz, the ball would be in Jordy's or James Jones or GJ's hands 1-2 seconds after the snap and they'd have YAC room in a blitz depleted secondary.

Now he double clutches and looks at the rush. Not sure if the last injury hurt his mental state under pressure? Seems counterproductive to take more hits rather than get the ball out, but ever since the Barr hit, that's where we've been. Before he'd extend plays when checkdowns were available, but he was lethal enough in other areas (like throwing the hot route) that it didn't matter. 

People forget that before the Barr hit he was 47/6 TD/INT and we were 12-2 after he said we were running the table. He was playing close to the 2011 level. That bastard really screwed us. I'd love nothing more than this to be the revival game for Rodgers.

I agree with all of this.  My pass to the RB schtick is not exclusive to running backs.  Against Chicago, there were loads of open dumpoff passes Rodgers left on the field.  What drives me absolutely insane about Rodgers is him acting like he needs a first down on every single play.  He has been awful and I feel like the only times he throws these checkdown type passes is when the play is literally designed that way. 

12 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

A lot of people are on Rodgers for this.  It seems he's stuck in 2010-2012 when the receiving group was Jennings / Nelson / Jones / Finley / Driver / Cobb.  So a bunch of iso's down the field always had someone open.  I think Lafleur wants the short game, so I'd imagine we see some emphasis on it.  I guarantee Zimmer will be testing him to see if he's willing to do it.  Sunday can't come soon enough.  

Archived