Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson

patriotsheatyan

Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson

• Mayfield
    • Jackson

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

why is this comparison even discussed at this point?

Baker is trending towards being one of the worst starting QBs in the league while Lamar is already better than Michael Vick ever was. 

Lamar is on pace for 4000 passing yards and 1000 rushing yards.

lol

On 10/16/2019 at 12:46 PM, DawgX said:

Talk about box score scouting. Baker has absolutely struggled but has looked better than his stats suggest. The dude has had about 5 INTs that happened due to passes being deflected by our WRs. Two last week vs. Seattle (one of which shouldn't have been thrown by Baker to Landry in the endzone, but it was tipped). Another INT from Sunday should have been DPI - their DB ran into OBJ when the ball was in the air, which knocked OBJ off his route. And then the Callaway one from the 49ers game. Plus the Hilliard one at the end of the Seattle game. That's four right there that weren't Baker's fault.

This maybe true. But all QBs have this happen to them. Lamar has like 3 of his picks that “aren’t his fault”. So when it’s all said and done it typically balances itself out to reveal the accurate depiction of the situation.

On 10/16/2019 at 3:45 PM, frenchie said:

With Jackson, I simply pointed out that he came out the gate swinging, lately, the numbers aren't as pretty...  Am I wrong?

He just won the fedex ground player of the week. Passing isn’t the only way to impact a football game. Lamar’s elite rushing ability is a part of what makes him a special. Just as Bakers accuracy was a part of what made him special. Impact is impact.

- One guy is being praised to the heavens after a couple games where he actually looked like a competent QB, something he didn't look like last season.

He did look competent last season. He was the best 21 year old QB in NFL history according to Sharpe analytics. What’s more he was winning games and operating successfully as a quality game manager that added elite level play from a rushing attack that before he was inserted into the lineup was the 31st ranked rushing attack through 9 weeks.

- The other, who was terrific last season, struggles a little bit, is being treated like some bum who shouldn't even be in the league...

He hasn’t just struggled a bit. He’s leading the league in interceptions, he’s struggled a lot. But he’s not even being treated as poorly as Lamar was last season... at least with how bad he’s been this year he’s considered to, at worst, be considered the worst “Quarterback” in the league. Whereas Lamar after doing what he did and having some solid outings as a rookie was only considered a RB. So yeah... not as bad at all.

18 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Baltimore has smartly built their entire offense around LJ's greatest strength, which is his running ability/throwing outside of the pocket. They can go heavy with double TE, added a vertical threat WR in Brown, and have a solid RB with a quality OL.

It will be interesting to see if LJ can "carry his team back" if they get down 14+ points in the second half throwing successfully from the pocket. If so, he'll probably have a great career. If not, then he will still probably be decent.

More teams would be wise to build around their QB's strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

Throwing outside the pocket is one of his weaknesses. He doesn't do that particularly well. From the pocket he is great with throws in the middle of the field but not very good with throws outside the numbers.

1 minute ago, Danand said:

Throwing outside the pocket is one of his weaknesses. He doesn't do that particularly well. From the pocket he is great with throws in the middle of the field but not very good with throws outside the numbers.

Escaping the pocket in the middle of the field is just as much of a factor as rolling outside of the pocket, which was really the only point that I was trying to make.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Escaping the pocket in the middle of the field is just as much of a factor as rolling outside of the pocket, which was really the only point that I was trying to make.

Ok, I can see that point. 

I think a substantial amount of viewers believe that because of Lamars running ability and ability to extend plays, that he is a type like Russel Wilson and DeShaun Watson who does well throwing on the move, which so far hasn't been a thing he has been good at. For all our praises of Lamar, when his technique breaks down his passes are bad (which happens for most QB's), and his technique on the move isn't a strength of his yet.

16 hours ago, SBLIII said:

why is this comparison even discussed at this point?

Baker is trending towards being one of the worst starting QBs in the league while Lamar is already better than Michael Vick ever was. 

Lamar is on pace for 4000 passing yards and 1000 rushing yards.

Well, Ill hedge my bets on Baker figuring it out (which he at least showed in small sample size) than Lamar Jackson being a consistent threat as a passer. Also the difference between the two so far are the level of competition between the two teams, trust me, things have a way of leveling out.....

15 hours ago, Malik said:

Even if Lamar Jackson doesn't dramatically improve his ceiling can still be like 2015 Cam Newton. That's good enough to consistently get you into the playoffs.

source.gif

Well.......except Cam was very much the threat as a passer who didn't rely on dinks and dunks to the TE. He actually threw to wide receivers and made good with a receiving crew of Jerricho Cotchery, Ted Ginn Jr, and Philly Brown, meaning he consistently made plays down field from inside the pocket.Cam won MVP because of what he did IN THE POCKET, not running the ball, as a matter of fact, he had 636 rushing all year, Jackson has 695 after 6 games,This is not even close to being an apples to apples comparison.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Well, Ill hedge my bets on Baker figuring it out (which he at least showed in small sample size) than Lamar Jackson being a consistent threat as a passer. Also the difference between the two so far are the level of competition between the two teams, trust me, things have a way of leveling out.....

source.gif

Well.......except Cam was very much the threat as a passer who didn't rely on dinks and dunks to the TE. He actually threw to wide receivers and made good with a receiving crew of Jerricho Cotchery, Ted Ginn Jr, and Philly Brown, meaning he consistently made plays down field from inside the pocket.Cam won MVP because of what he did IN THE POCKET, not running the ball, as a matter of fact, he had 636 rushing all year, Jackson has 695 after 6 games,This is not even close to being an apples to apples comparison.

Lamar is top 10 in the NFL in that respect.

His passes travel an average distance of 8.8 air yards.

But by all means, keep making stuff up. You're upset and that's ok.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Actually, I'm not, the propaganda is comical. And secondly, why would I be mad when we beat you down?

Yes, you making up things on the fly to try and discredit Lamar, and me correcting you with actual facts = me being the one espousing propaganda 😂

And i don't know, maybe because you're a 2-4 (about to be 2-5 after you play the Pats) football team who's fans beat their chest over their QB all offseason and he happens to be one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL this year? While the same QB you spent all offseason trashing is clearly outplaying him?

Just a thought. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Actually, I'm not, the propaganda is comical. And secondly, why would I be mad when we beat you down?

Little brother syndrome. Some of you guys severely seems to suffer from it, as it seems to be more important that Lamar is bad and that the Ravens lose, than you guys winning/performing well.

• Like 3

On 10/14/2019 at 11:08 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Debate is settled for now.

Take out his game against the Dolphins and LaMar Jackson's numbers are much less impressive. 1183 Passing, 6 TD, 5 INT 82.2 Passer Rating

Oh and conveniently leave out that Darnold has only played 2 games, 1 of which was against the very good Bills defense.

Everyone know Rosen and Allen have been incredibly lackluster so far for reasons expected. Everyone know Baker has been struggling mightily. 

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Take out his game against the Dolphins and LaMar Jackson's numbers are much less impressive. 1183 Passing, 6 TD, 5 INT 82.2 Passer Rating

Oh and conveniently leave out that Darnold has only played 2 games, 1 of which was against the very good Bills defense.

Everyone know Rosen and Allen have been incredibly lackluster so far for reasons expected. Everyone know Baker has been struggling mightily. 

Take out Lamar's 3 INT game against Pittsburgh and we can do this all day!