Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson

patriotsheatyan

Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson

• Mayfield
    • Jackson

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:48 PM, NYJets4716 said:

Baker is trash right now. On pace for 13 td 29 ints with elite talent around him. Hes a excuse maker, has a overinflated ego. He has happy feet and cant read defenses, but other excuses being made.

Last year he had 27 TD and 14 INT with almost no talent around him..  He's quarter of the way into year 2, I think he has the right to struggle a bit, and by the way, I know nobody will take the time to go back and look, but a lot of these interceptions haven't always been Baker's fault...

Officiating has been abysmal this season; he was simply stating a fact.  and I think he actually said himself that it wasn't an excuse..  I assume that's what you're referring to; Haven't heard him making excuses.

So he has an overinflated ego, who cares?  Why is he supposed to have the 'oh shucks, I'm so lucky to be here' attitude?   I'm glad he snapped at Rex Ryan.  Ryan made an unnecessary, smart *** remark, and Baker shot back.  I have no problem with that; If Rex Ryan knew anything about evaluating quarterbacks, he'd probably still have a job...

The reason he has happy feet is because he has arguably the worst pair of O-Tackles in the league..

Cam Newton is in year 9 and can't read defenses, Baker is in year 2; let's settle down.

As for Lamar, I know everybody is trying not to notice, but his play has clearly tapered off the last few weeks; and having your starting quarterback run the football 15-20 times/game is not sustainable...  I'd still take my chances with Baker...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frenchie said:

As for Lamar, I know everybody is trying not to notice, but his play has clearly tapered off the last few weeks; and having your starting quarterback run the football 15-20 times/game is not sustainable...  I'd still take my chances with Baker...

While he took too many hits for my liking, this argument is getting out of hand. If he runs 20 times and takes 4-5 bad hits, you still have to subtract those hits from the hits he doesn't take due to his mobility. 

He has rarely been crushed in the pocket, because he escapes those hits. Many of his runs he either takes it out of bounds or dives before he takes a bad hit. I haven't sat down and counted the hits Lamar takes compared to other QB's, but I doubt it is that much higher.

4 hours ago, frenchie said:

Last year he had 27 TD and 14 INT with almost no talent around him..  He's quarter of the way into year 2, I think he has the right to struggle a bit, and by the way, I know nobody will take the time to go back and look, but a lot of these interceptions haven't always been Baker's fault...

Officiating has been abysmal this season; he was simply stating a fact.  and I think he actually said himself that it wasn't an excuse..  I assume that's what you're referring to; Haven't heard him making excuses.

So he has an overinflated ego, who cares?  Why is he supposed to have the 'oh shucks, I'm so lucky to be here' attitude?   I'm glad he snapped at Rex Ryan.  Ryan made an unnecessary, smart *** remark, and Baker shot back.  I have no problem with that; If Rex Ryan knew anything about evaluating quarterbacks, he'd probably still have a job...

The reason he has happy feet is because he has arguably the worst pair of O-Tackles in the league..

Cam Newton is in year 9 and can't read defenses, Baker is in year 2; let's settle down.

He had a lot of talent around him, more than a lot have. Anderson had 29 td passes with the browns once. Right now Mayfield is playing like trash.

Rex is a analyst now and made a correct observation,  Mayfield was overrated and is a one read qb. And hes right, mayfield is lucky he isnt facing a rex Ryan defense cause he'd destroy him

8 hours ago, frenchie said:

The INT's aren't always his fault, but just look at the way he plays. He's been turnover-heavy since he joined the league. Furthermore, his ability to read a defense and maneuver the pocket has clearly declined.

No, the reason he has happy feet is because it's a thing he's done for years and defenses are starting to key on it and anticipate it to use it against him.

And how many people right now are calling Cam Newton a good QB?

Yeah, the guy who just threw for 240 and ran for 150 is clearly tapering off lol Lamar is probably the main reason why the Ravens even have 4 wins right now.

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The INT's aren't always his fault, but just look at the way he plays.

Most of them are his fault.

He's been turnover-heavy since he joined the league. Furthermore, his ability to read a defense and maneuver the pocket has clearly declined.

I don't think it's declined. I think that it's always been like this. He was never asked to do more at OU and last year he was setup for success. They need to go back to running more no huddle, getting him to the LOS, putting guys in motion so that he can read basic coverages, etc.  His pocket maneuverability has always been bad, and I pointed that out when he was a prospect.

No, the reason he has happy feet is because it's a thing he's done for years and defenses are starting to key on it and anticipate it to use it against him.

His OT just exacerbate the issue. It's magnified immensely. I'd say it's closer to 50/50. His footwork is really sloppy (off balance/off platform and trying to escape and roll to his right). The happy feet are a product of his OT though (stepping up in the pocket, side stepping, etc. if that makes sense)

And how many people right now are calling Cam Newton a good QB?

EXACTLY. Throw in Cam's enormous size/athletic advantage, and that's not Baker.

Yeah, the guy who just threw for 240 and ran for 150 is clearly tapering off lol Lamar is probably the main reason why the Ravens even have 4 wins right now.

Hard to argue against LJ's results right now. I'm still extremely skeptical about it's long term sustainability, but right now, hats off to him.

Lamar takes what defenses give him. Most teams so far have keyed on stopping him and thus forcing our RB's to gain most of the yardage - Cinci did not. They deliberately wanted Lamar running the ball and it killed them. When teams key on Lamar, he's more than happy to hand it off or stay in the pocket and deliver throws down field. When teams don't, he'll make you look silly for 150+ yards rushing without breaking a sweat.

9 hours ago, frenchie said:

And this is my biggest issue with this argument the past 4/5 weeks and going back to last offseason.

Everyone defending Baker: "He's young, he's played like 20 games, he has a right to struggle"

Everyone last year going against Lamar after starting 7 games: "It's clear this guy sucks. Case closed".

Hell, you just did it in this post. "Baker's a quarter of the year into week 2, cut him some slack".

A few sentences later "Lamar's play has dropped the past few weeks, I'm taking Baker".

There's a clear double standard that Browns fans apply to these quarterbacks, and it's amusing tbh.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Lamar's play tapered off the last few weeks? No duh. If it didn't he'd be on pace to have the single best season of all time.

FF after weeks 1 and 2: "Relax, it was just the Dolphins and Cardinals. His play will come back down to the median"

FF after weeks 5 and 6: "See? His play tapered off so he's actually not good"