Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

I'm going to give Baker until after the BYE week to start getting back on track, but after that, my patience will start to grow thin. He's had an AWFUL year...as in the worst starting QB in the NFL (I don't count Rosen and Falk as they didn't start the year as starters). There's plenty of blame to go around, whether it be Kitchens, the OL, Monken, etc., but with all of the weapons at his disposal and the high expectations going in, I'm putting it on him.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm going to give Baker until after the BYE week to start getting back on track, but after that, my patience will start to grow thin. He's had an AWFUL year...as in the worst starting QB in the NFL (I don't count Rosen and Falk as they didn't start the year as starters). There's plenty of blame to go around, whether it be Kitchens, the OL, Monken, etc., but with all of the weapons at his disposal and the high expectations going in, I'm putting it on him.

At some point he’s gonna need to play a game that results in 3-4 TD’s and no turnovers.  A few in fact.

Right now he’s doing literally nothing well, not completing passes, not scoring points, turning the ball over with fumbles and picks, etc.  he’s been abysmal and the sample size isn’t all that small any longer.

• Like 2

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

At some point he’s gonna need to play a game that results in 3-4 TD’s and no turnovers.  A few in fact.

Absolutely. The guy has more INT than games played in his career. That's awful.

Right now he’s doing literally nothing well, not completing passes,

His completion percentage is under 56%. That's woeful.

not scoring points,

And a 68.5 QB Rating

turning the ball over with fumbles and picks, etc.  

8 INT and 3 fumbles in 5 games is good for over 2 turnovers a game. 

he’s been abysmal and the sample size isn’t all that small any longer.

He's got 19 games under his belt, and here's who he is right now:

*An 8-10 QB

*A QB who has gone from completing almost 65% of his passes to under 55%, giving him 61.8% for his career

*A 4.8% TD percentage to a 3.4% INT percentage, regressing badly in both areas

*31 TD to 22 INT, extremely subpar

*Getting sacked on 9% of all dropbacks (not all his fault, but he bears some blame for hanging onto the football too long, not recognizing coverages, etc.)

Obviously, plenty of time to improve! He's young, these 15-30 games are usually QB doldrums, but they are a concern and the next 11 games will be CRITICAL for his growth and projection going into Year 3

• Like 1

My “fix” for Baker is simple, but it requires Freddie to undergo a personality change.

I like Freddie as a HC, but holy hell is he arrogant as a playcaller. Stop acting like Bruce Arians and thinking you need to chuck the rock and dictate tempo aggressively. Bruce Arians has never won anything as a HC for a reason. He’s like the NFL version of Mike Dantoni. Start coaching the way Parcells and Saban would. Establish a run game, instill confidence into your offensive line, and allow Baker to relax and make plays off of play action. Treat Baker like a young QB, slow the game down and let his mind develop.

Also Freddie, WHEN YOU WIN THE COIN TOSS, DO NOT GO ON OFFENSE FIRST. There is a reason why 99% of coaches do it this way. Freddie is trying so hard to establish the culture and brand that he wants to, that he’s doing irrational things. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

My “fix” for Baker is simple, but it requires Freddie to undergo a personality change.

I like Freddie as a HC, but holy hell is he arrogant as a playcaller. Stop acting like Bruce Arians and thinking you need to chuck the rock and dictate tempo aggressively. Bruce Arians has never won anything as a HC for a reason. He’s like the NFL version of Mike Dantoni. Start coaching the way Parcells and Saban would. Establish a run game, instill confidence into your offensive line, and allow Baker to relax and make plays off of play action. Treat Baker like a young QB, slow the game down and let his mind develop.

Agreed, they’ve overestimated what he can do right now.

He’s talented as hell, but he’s still young and inexperienced.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Also Freddie, WHEN YOU WIN THE COIN TOSS, DO NOT GO ON OFFENSE FIRST. There is a reason why 99% of coaches do it this way. Freddie is trying so hard to establish the culture and brand that he wants to, that he’s doing irrational things. 

Yes!

• Like 1

Here’s what encourages me about Baker: He’s still firing away.

I think to win at the highest level, you need a Favre type and not a Alex Smith type. You need to make the big boy throws and not be afraid of them. Baker is trying to figure out what he can get away with in the NFL. Peyton Manning did the same things early in his career.

Here’s what worries me: His inaccuracy on easy passes.

Perfect example is the Callaway play. Now, that’s 99% Callaways fault, but Baker could and should have thrown a better pass. It bothers me that he can’t see open guys. Jarvis has been especially good about getting open.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

its easy to put it all on Baker when you didnt like him to begin with.

Right now a lot has to do with issues with Baker but freddie and his offense are right up there. Freddie had concepts, schemes, and an identity that lead to the Browns having a top5 offense for the last 8 weeks of the year last season. Freddie has completely gone away from the things that got him the HC job. The one game, where we actually resorted back to those concepts, was the Ravens game and it was a damn good offensive game for everyone.

Baker, Freddie, and Dorsey (Offensive line) all share a decent amount of blame here.

43 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Learn to read. That’s not what I said. Go kick rocks and pound sand. Feel free to put me on ignore. 

I read it just fine. Just feel like, the context to it was, I didnt like him but he played well, so I changed my attitude on him. Now that he and the entire team is struggling, im putting all blame on him

31 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I read it just fine. Just feel like, the context to it was, I didnt like him but he played well, so I changed my attitude on him. Now that he and the entire team is struggling, im putting all blame on him

Got it. You can’t read. 

Sometimes when marriage mates have been together for some time life gets stale and issues arise. One of the best elixirs for this is to remember why you fell in love with your mate in the first place. 

All you yahoos dogging Mayfield either hated him to begin with or are the superficial what have you done for me latelys. Please go back and watch his film last year. Go back and watch his college film. He can read defenses. He can go thru his reads. Great processing power. Great accuracy. Strong arm. Suck wad line and indecisive play calls. This garbage that he’s had the most time from snap to pass needs to stop. He’s had zero literal time to throw. It’s a shame too, I’ve seen qbs ruined before, hopefully Baker isn’t the latest.