Aaron Donald holdout expected to miss Week 1

RuskieTitan

10 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Counter to #2, Donald gets insurance...

Even still...he's fighting to get paid more, people are asking him to take money out of his pocket to pay the premiums and get insurance to cover potential loss of value that possibly won't even cover the full amount of the money he lost (If you think Jake Butt was a second round pick pre injury, the insurance only paid out one third of the money he actually lost). The higher the insurance payout, the higher the premiums, and people would be asking him to carry that for theoretically up to as many as 4 years (one year left on deal, fifth year option, two franchise tags). While it's unlikely that would happen, it's still within the realm of the Rams power (obviously far less likely given that there is supposedly a deal that is close to being done). Plus, During this time, the CBA would also expire and there's a whole lot of uncertainty going with that. 

14 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Can he and the Rams work some of his guaranteed money into bonus money?

Like, if he gets x amount of sacks, he gets y amount of money..?

I mean, he can have incentives, but they wouldn't be guaranteed because he would have to meet those benchmarks. The issue according to Rams fans is the spread of the guaranteed money that has (I would assume) already been agreed upon. So I'm assuming he wants more up front, and the Rams are offering more guaranteed salary in years 2 / 3 /4 through guaranteed base or various bonuses. 

3 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

I hope the people saying "it's a business" last week when over 1,000 NFL players were cut from teams don't turn around and call Donald selfish and greedy for holding out.

I dont think anyone rational is calling him selfish or greedy, but they might think this inst a good strategy to gt a new contract. Not necessarily the same thing

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Even still...he's fighting to get paid more, people are asking him to take money out of his pocket to pay the premiums and get insurance to cover potential loss of value that possibly won't even cover the full amount of the money he lost (If you think Jake Butt was a second round pick pre injury, the insurance only paid out one third of the money he actually lost). The higher the insurance payout, the higher the premiums, and people would be asking him to carry that for theoretically up to as many as 4 years (one year left on deal, fifth year option, two franchise tags). While it's unlikely that would happen, it's still within the realm of the Rams power (obviously far less likely given that there is supposedly a deal that is close to being done). Plus, During this time, the CBA would also expire and there's a whole lot of uncertainty going with that. 

It's worth noting that the discounts players in sports where FA is more common (MLB being the biggest one) are substantially higher than the margins that insurance companies operate on. That's not the be-all-end-all, especially since it doesn't consider the utility of the money (which is why teams get away with the discounts they give out for security), but it's worth noting if players start to try and go that route more frequently. If you go with an insurance company that can undercut an NFL team, on average, you'll come out ahead.

I certainly wouldn't call Aaron selfish or greedy, but I might lob those pejoratives at his agent

It makes little sense for a player to miss games or to hurt his teammates squabbling over the final minutia of a huge contract. It benefits the agents because they can trumpet it across the league. And if they don't get every last penny, the other agents will use it against them when trying to win over new clients

But the small delta between what Donald wants and what the Rams are offering has little or no impact on Aaron Donald, his football future or his bank account

He'll never want for anything in his life, he'll have way more than enough $$ for several generations and he's trading playing time ( the truly scarce resource) for a wee bit more cash or a slightly different structure. The only ones who benefit from that are the agents, but Donald is the one paying the price

In the olden days, money was scarce, but it isn't anymore. Playing time is the much scarcer resource and that should be what Donald tells his "greedy and selfish" agents. Git er done. Focus on the Big Picture here, that's what matters.

NFL playing careers are short as it is, why would you let the agents' selfish needs stop ya from doing what you love ?

I have no problem with Donald sitting. I'd be frustrated if it was a Titans player, but every small win a player can get in contract negotiations can be incredibly beneficial. He doesn't owe it to the Rams to be on the field. Even your average upper-tier NFL player gets maybe two big contracts over the course of their career, when you're one of the best in the world at what you do, you should hold plenty of power at the bargaining table.

There are some reports that the last few differences are minor, but first we truly have no idea if that's the case (it benefits the Rams to leak information that blames the gap on the agent as to placate the fans as their best player isn't on the field) and second, even if they are, I don't know why it's just expected that it's the player that should bend when he's been one of the few competent pieces on that roster since coming into the league.

The NFL is a business. That's what we're told when over 1,000 people lose their jobs in one day. Or when a veteran that has bled for an organization for a decade is let go because he makes too much money. It's crazy to expect a guy that is likely doing long-term damage to his body to always put the team first. Let him get his. Frankly, more agents should encourage it anyways. After all, it's only the player that is expected to fulfill the entire contract anyways.

12 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

If Freeman can get insurance to cover not getting an extension from the Falcons, I think Donald can probably get insurance on himself in case of injury.

Why should Donald do that? Then, he has to pay a crapload of money for that policy. Might as well get paid now.

15 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I have no problem with Donald sitting. I'd be frustrated if it was a Titans player, but every small win a player can get in contract negotiations can be incredibly beneficial. He doesn't owe it to the Rams to be on the field.

He doesn't owe it to the Rams, he owes it to himself. He wants to play football, not negotiate. If you look at the picture below, this is what I am talking about in terms of wasting time. Everything to the right of the 4 on the bottom axis is all about the agent, and the players see very little value in all of the gyrations that take place towards the end of the asymptote ( ie negotiations) . None of that matters one iota to Aaron Donald, it matters only to his agents future marketing efforts

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwfY1pN1DzjFHAFSG2KQB

Archived