Is Goff actually good?

Bolts223

6 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

He isn’t good when faced with pressure

I actually thought he operated the pocket well tonight, side-stepped pressure, reset, and delivered an accurate ball. The Carrie INT was just a great play by him. The second INT was a cheeky 3rd and 1 call and a bad decision by Goff. And the fumble, I guess you could pin on Goff? But it's not like he held the ball drastically long; the defense made a good play. Aside from a handful of plays he played really well considering the circumstances.

We also need to consider the fact that the Browns defense played tough last night, no matter how many starters were out. And that it's never easy to win on the road; the stadium was humming last night.

Is he Mahomes? No. But he's definitely an above average QB with room to improve.

• Like 2

I think people are looking for reasons to discredit him since the SB. 

He's not as good as his bulk numbers indicate, but he's not as bad as people are trying to make him out to be. I'd put him in the bottom half of the top 10, maybe that 8-10 range.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

He isn’t good when faced with pressure

Where did this narrative come from? Were we watching the same game?

Highlights: https://youtu.be/cFmSHjhLMFw?t=283

@ 4:43 mark Vernon is freely barrelling down on him, he stands in the pocket and delivers the ball on 2nd and 5.

@ 5:01 mark Garrett is in his face and he hits Kupp for a TD on 3rd and goal.

@6:25 he side steps the rush, resets and hits his receiver for a first.

@8:26 he's facing an 7 man blitz and cooly hits, granted a wide open, Kupp for the TD on 3rd and goal again. 

These aren't the highlights of a QB who can't handle pressure. If you want that, watch Bengals games.

• Like 3

Depends on what you want from him.  If you're looking for a prolific passer that is going to be the commanding difference between 2 otherwise extremely equal teams. No, he really isnt. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning - Esque, he is not.

If you want someone that can manage your team, help you succeed, and fits into your gameplan as a positive, yes he is good. Think a healthy Alex Smith.

He is an average quarterback in a great situation. There are a dozen quarterbacks that would do much better given a similar situation. But he’ll show flashes and he’s definitely not bad enough to replace. Quarterback purgatory. 

Ahhh the Monday overreaction thread. He forced two throws last night that resulted in picks. The strip sack was a result of him trusting his O-Linemen while in the pocket for a second week in a row. The interior O-line is inexperienced, thin, and Brian Allen can't hold a block long enough. The lack of an inside running game kills the play action and McVay being overly pass happy in certain situations leaves Goff holding the bag. He's a top 10 QB with top 3 weapons and now a middle of the road O-line compared to previous 2 years. 

Is this a legit question? He has (9) 4th quarter/OT comebacks since Week 16 of 2017 which is amongst the best in the NFL at QB. The Rams were (7-1) in games decided by 8pts are less last season and so far (2-0) this season. Since the start of the 2018 season, outside of the Patriots, the Rams have the most wins as team in the NFL. The Rams are (15-3) on the road since the start of the 2017 season. Thats best in the NFL. Basically Goff is a winner and he does have the stats to back it uo, The Rams wouldnt get the job done if Goff isnt actually good. Two things we know, you cant hide your QB (which McVay doesnt) and eventually your QB is going to have to make plays to win the game and thats what Goff has done repeatedly. Plus I think the best job Goff has done in his career was take his team to the Superbowl despite having a hurt Gurley and no Kupp last season. Like to go to the Superdome and win without your two best players is so tough. 

Edited by stl4life07

Ill say this too, if anyone says Goff is a "game manager" need to go look at last season. When the Rams defense couldnt stop a cold because Talib was out and Peters was playing banged up and the Rams literally was in shootouts often, it was Goff who helped still keep the Rams winning. Dont act like he has to have everything perfect to win. Right now the two best things going for Goff is he has Kupp back and the Rams defense is great. Like Goff doesnt have to do what he did and win in shootouts but best believe he can if he have too. 

1 hour ago, blizofoz45 said:

I think when a QB like Rodgers has a down stretch it’s different because he’s made so many amazing plays.  I haven’t seen that wow factor from Goff even when his numbers were better.

Even Brady was a bit that way for awhile early on because he didn’t have that eye-popping dynamic in his game.  

4 so so games in a row shouldn’t negate 2 years of good production.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Know your surroundings though man. 

4 games negates 2 years of production and 1 game made Lamar Jackson a bonafide Hall of Famer. 

It just works like that around here sometimes.

He has been an 80ish QB rating over his last 16 games tho....

• Like 1