Is Dan Quinn on the hot seat?

ClutchDJ

On 9/23/2019 at 8:23 AM, ET80 said:

The defense never took on the "Seattle LOB v 2.0" mold that got him the gig, but he always had an offense that could keep up with anyone, so he managed to trudge along as a HC.

I think people are wise to it now, and the clock is now ticking. There's a lot of HC experience on his staff (Raheem Morris, Mike Mularkey, Dirk Koetter, Bob Sutton) so there's plenty of options for an interim HC in the event of a mid-season firing.

Is it fair to say that it's time to end that defensive tree? Bradley, Quinn, Wash...all from that tree and have had defenses underwhelm without the talent that the LOB had

2 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Is it fair to say that it's time to end that defensive tree? Bradley, Quinn, Wash...all from that tree and have had defenses underwhelm without the talent that the LOB had

I'm starting to wonder if the magic in Seattle has to do with the GM and scouting and not with the coaching...

I mean, you land an MVP calibur QB in the 3rd, an All Pro CB in the 5th, an All Pro S in the 5th...

Maybe it's not the coordinators?

If he isn't, he should be.  At some point, whether a coach is a good culture guy or not (and I have no idea if Quinn is even that), he bears responsibility for the hires (or lack thereof) he does make and how he fills out his staff.

Atlanta's defense isn't lacking for talent and that seems to be all they've been getting by on the past couple seasons.  And even pure talent (most times) can be schemed around/away for the most part.  Quinn's offensive hires post-Lil-Shans have been suspect-at-best and his decision to not hire a new DC and to call the D himself (without at least bringing in a defensive consultant to help alleviate/freshen up some things conceptually) is highly suspect.  The later part, to me at least, reads ego - which you can get away with when you're Belichick, but few are Belichick... and even Belichick finds way to incorporate tweaks from peers and others brought onto his staffs from time to time.

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm starting to wonder if the magic in Seattle has to do with the GM and scouting and not with the coaching...

I mean, you land an MVP calibur QB in the 3rd, an All Pro CB in the 5th, an All Pro S in the 5th...

That and... the same way that so many teams kept trying to hire Belichick assistants and get the BB magic.  Teams have tried hiring Carroll DC's and thinking they're going to get the LOB magic - when really that schematic magic has predated the LOB back to when Carroll was at USC regularly churning out highly-drafted do-everything LB's and DB's and DL that had specific role they needed to play, but were very, very good at those roles.

Also have to remember that Sherman (Compton) and Bobby Wagner (Los Angeles) came out of USC's backyard as far as recruiting territories go, even if they did go to other schools ultimately.  Baldwin came out of a recruitment hotbed, period, in gulf coast Florida, and being at Stanford, Pete would have been familiar with tape pf his for years.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yes...Seattle had a crazy 2 or 3 year drafting session for defense. Thomas, Wagner, Sherman, Chancellor, Maxwell, and they got key guys from outside like Browner, and Bennett. 

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

If he isn't, he should be.  At some point, whether a coach is a good culture guy or not (and I have no idea if Quinn is even that), he bears responsibility for the hires (or lack thereof) he does make and how he fills out his staff.

Atlanta's defense isn't lacking for talent and that seems to be all they've been getting by on the past couple seasons.  And even pure talent (most times) can be schemed around/away for the most part.  Quinn's offensive hires post-Lil-Shans have been suspect-at-best and his decision to not hire a new DC and to call the D himself (without at least bringing in a defensive consultant to help alleviate/freshen up some things conceptually) is highly suspect.  The later part, to me at least, reads ego - which you can get away with when you're Belichick, but few are Belichick... and even Belichick finds way to incorporate tweaks from peers and others brought onto his staffs from time to time.

Are you sure about that?

Outside of Jarrett & Deion Jones, who’s really worth a mention on that defense? Trufant isn’t what used to be 3+ years ago.

from Warren Sharp twitter

The 2016 Falcons had the: #1 offense under Kyle Shanahan #26 defense under Dan Quinn
Nearly won the Super Bowl

Kyle leaves, Quinn stays The defense is still bad:
2017: #28 defense
2018: #31 defense
2019: #26 defense and without Kyle, the offense hasn't been the same.

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

Are you sure about that?

Outside of Jarrett & Deion Jones, who’s really worth a mention on that defense? Trufant isn’t what used to be 3+ years ago.

Trufant hasn't really fallen off, but unless you're Scrabble or Revis, you dude down the entire length of the field, particularly when Jarrett and, occasionally, Tak are getting home.  Kazee is a damn good nickel (very similar to NRC - he's strictly a nickel who can fill at safety in an emergency, but he's very effective at what he does).  Keanu Neal is good, dude just can't stay healthy.  Ricardo Allen has talent, he's had some consistency issues this season, but the pair of Allen and Neal complement each others' strengths and weaknesses really well.  And they look like they have something in Cominsky; he's been thrown into the fire a little early and I don't think he'll ever be the stand-alone stud type edge guy, but as a complementary Pat Kerney type, he has long-term starting stallwart attributes.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Trufant hasn't really fallen off, but unless you're Scrabble or Revis, you dude down the entire length of the field, particularly when Jarrett and, occasionally, Tak are getting home.  Kazee is a damn good nickel (very similar to NRC - he's strictly a nickel who can fill at safety in an emergency, but he's very effective at what he does).  Keanu Neal is good, dude just can't stay healthy.  Ricardo Allen has talent, he's had some consistency issues this season, but the pair of Allen and Neal complement each others' strengths and weaknesses really well.  And they look like they have something in Cominsky; he's been thrown into the fire a little early and I don't think he'll ever be the stand-alone stud type edge guy, but as a complementary Pat Kerney type, he has long-term starting stallwart attributes.

Im not even gonna lie im super impressed right now with you LBC.  You know our defense and players quite well not to be a fan of the team and you are pretty much spot on with most of them in their strengths and weaknessess.   We really aren't that lacking for talent on the defensive side of the ball as we got some quality players.  For some reason it's just not coming together how it should though.   Im not saying we are some world beaters over there but we dang sure have more players that are above avg talent wise compared to junk and the level of player we are seeing every week under Quinn right now.    I would say talent level wise we should be a top 10 to 15 defense with room to improve with a draft or 2.   Not the 25 to 32nd junk we are right now which is straight garbage.