Raiders LB Vontaze Burfiict suspended for season

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's what confuses me the most. IIRC the guy didn't even get ejected? 

Nope, and I'm pretty sure he was like celebrating over Allen's body (or starting to) until his boy pulled him away if I remember correctly. 

Both were nasty, malicious hits that deserve a suspension. The rest of the year seems harsh, and I'm fine with it because of his past, but let's be consistent across the board and admit that these two hits were very similar and deserve the same type of punishment. Jones should've at least gotten a game.

Edited by JonStark

27 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

They put a suspension on your record so should you acquire it within that 'suspension period' you'll serve that suspension before its valid, though while its suspended you cant actually acquire one

I’m sure it differs from state to state but typically if you only have an ID and it gets suspended, it’s suspended indefinitely until you pay the fees and pay for the reinstatement if you actually try to get a license.

The NFL is FOS.   

This was a bad hit.  

Burfict gets the season, while Barnett gets nothing.   Barnett''s hit last Thursday was worse.  The play was over.    This is the NFL reacting to noise because they manage to mess up everything they touch.   

The issue of ejections has become a two part question:

1.  Who is the person making the hit?

2. What team does he play for, and what is there record.   How will action effect playoff ramifications.

They have this messed up just like they have the pass interference review messed up.   They put in a review, and then ignore what takes place on the field.

There are a couple arguments here but the one I would like to address is the in game consequences of actions and the aftermath.  The penalties and ejections of a single play within a game should not take into consideration who the player is or their past issues unless those issues have taken place in that game like two personal fouls leading to an ejection.  Did Burfict deserve a penalty for the hit I would say yes considering what constitutes an illegal hit.  After the game the league can review it and set a suspension based upon the hit + past behavior.  For the sake of argument the Allen, Williams, and Doyle hits are equal.  They should all receive equal punishments in the game.  After the game the NFL can say Barnett deserves a fine, Jones a suspension of 1 game, and Burfict an 8 game suspension based upon history of all three players (I do not know if Jones has a past or not to warrant this).  That would be within the realm of reason.  My issue is the refs on the field saw it as a penalty and then the league decides to call down and have him ejected for what ended up being the least harmful of the 3.  They had plenty of time to review the Williams and Allen hits as they were being prepped to go to the hospital.

2 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Pathetic that he was suspended for the season. Punishment doesn’t fit the crime and he was only railroaded because he has a reputation as a dirty player.  He should have been suspended for 4-6 games at most for what he actually did

He was suspended for that long because he has a history of (and therefore, yes, a reputation for) making those kind of hits.

Terrible person. This wasn't even like a bang bang over in an instant type of play where he might have unintentionally hit the guy in the head. He was so far away that he KNEW what he was doing. 

Given the guys history you KNOW he isn't going to change how he plays. Might as well nip this in the butt so it wont happen again and ban him for life.