Jalen Ramsey traded to the Rams

Scalamania

6 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Cap strapped and no high draft picks. If you don’t win within the next two years you really hindered your future. You aren’t going to be able to just get rid of Cooks or Gurley abominations of contracts either.

Cooks wouldn't be tough to move it we wanted to. I don't think we have much savings with that so it seems like he's certainly going to be a 2020 Ram. 

49 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If anything that backs your argument. Wasn't meant to be a slight, it's proof that they are very well valued.

Love Jalen, but truthfully the dad/agent situation is scary as hell. So truthfully, hope he gets that in order/his priorities straight for you. They weren't here.

He hated Coughlin. Coughlin hates big personalities. It was never going to work in Jacksonville long term with that dynamic between player and front office. I don't question his priorities going forward. 

I love this move for the Rams. They got the best cornerback in football in the back end to help the best defensive player in football in Donald on the front end. The Rams defense needed an upgrade because they are 26th in points allowed. You shouldnt lose at home when you score 40pts.

The thing that gets me when talking about the Rams is people hammer home Goff struggles, bad oline, and no running game. Please someone, anybody talk about how the Rams are 10th in scoring offense and before the Niners game was 6th in scoring offense averaging 29ppg? Now with the Niners game the Rams are now 25.5ppg but its still tied for 10th. The way people are talking about the Rams offense you would think they would be at the bottom of the league in scoring. They arent. They are still having success scoring. Yes Sunday was a stinker against the Niners but its not like the Rams havent had stinkers before. In 2017, Week 5 against Seattle the Rams scored 10pts. In Week 11 at Minnesota the Rams scored 7pts and it was exactly like the game against the Niners where the Rams marched down the field on the opening possession Gurley scored the rushing td and the Rams didnt score again after that. In the playoffs the Rams score 14pts against the Falcons. Then we look at last season the Rams scored 6pts at Chicago then 3pts in the Superbowl against the Patriots. So Im not going to say the sky is falling because the Rams only scored 7pts against the Niners. Yes Im not saying the oline isnt playing bad or that Goff hasnt looked the same as last season. What I am saying is that the Rams are still a top 10 scoring offense and with the addition of Ramsey to help the Rams improve on the 26th ranked defense on points allowed the Rams will be in great shape moving forward in terms of winning because thats all that matters. The Rams are literally a missed field goal away from being (4-2). Like the Rams organization know that they are still a great team despite their start and it allowed them to make this move. But I give credit to Shannon Sharp for pointing about the Rams offense out because again NOBODY has said, yes the Rams offense isnt playing to what they are capable of but they still are top 10 in scoring and before the Niners game was 6th in scoring averaging 29ppg which is great. So lets put that in context rather than acting like the Rams offense just dropped off the map and is no longer good.

Now as far as picks goes, I think 1st round picks are overrated. Ive seen the Rams have 3 1st round picks one year and didnt do anything with them. One year they took Ty Hill in the 1st round and he bust. The year the Rams took Donald was the same year the Rams took Greg Robinson 2nd overall and he is a bust. On the flip side, the Rams drafted Kupp and Johnson III in the 3rd round and both have been great. The Rams drafted Zeurlein in the 5th round and he is a stud. He made two clutch field goals in the NFCCG to send the Rams to the Superbowl. One of those kick was from 58yds to break Saints fans hearts in OT. Like teams are drafting kickers in the 2nd round that are flopping and the Rams found one in the 5th round thats a weapon. The Rams have the best punter in football in Hekker and he was undrafted. I think the Rams found a great back in Henderson who they drafted in the 3rd round. David Long has a chance to be really good on defense in Wade scheme and he was drafted in the 4th round. Malcolm Brown has been more than serviceable for the Rams to help Gurley and he was undrafted. So like you dont have to only depend on 1st round picks. Yes they are nice to have because the chances are greater but if your team know how to scout talent and then develop them you can still find guys anywhere in the draft and it can work out. Again Ill go back to Kupp, he was drafted in the 3rd round and he is the best receiver in the draft class. Thats with Corey Davis, Mike Williams, and John Ross all going in the top 10. Thats with JuJu going in the 2nd round. Id rather have Ramsey than some prospect by the Rams picking in the mid 20s if not late 20s in the 1st round of the draft. Unless you hope the Rams just completely fall flat on their face and have a mid 1st round pick or higher then like the Rams were smart to get one of the best defensive players in football. As I said before, come talk to me after the Steelers game because the Rams could be sitting at (6-3) in great shape and nobody will be talking about how the Rams were (3-3) losing three straight. Adding Ramsey just made things even more interesting for the Rams moving forward and I love it. Well done Les Snead.

10 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Cap strapped and no high draft picks. If you don’t win within the next two years you really hindered your future. You aren’t going to be able to just get rid of Cooks or Gurley abominations of contracts either.

The cap will increase with the new CBA in 2021.  Cooks contract will look very attractive next year given how young he still is as a player and his production. As the league gets more vertical, he will be highly sought after. Rams even when they had a 1st, traded back into later rounds to acquire more mid round picks. 

Gurley's contract is an abomination. I can't argue that. Can't get out from under it until atleast 2021 and even that hurts with dead money. 

22 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

They didn't make this move just for this year. Ramsey is 24 years old.

You are making the move for this year and next. The rams are strapped for cap space with 4-5 guys taking up 2/3 of your cap in 2020. Whether you know it or not this move is strictly for the now and not the future. You dont give up 2 high draft picks to win later because this team will be blown up by then if they dont win. This move is putting a target on your back to say we have to win now which is why I do not get the move. Desperate teams who have GMs and HCs needing to win now in order to save their job do moves like this not guys who are coming off of a superbowl run. 

53 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If anything that backs your argument. Wasn't meant to be a slight, it's proof that they are very well valued.

Love Jalen, but truthfully the dad/agent situation is scary as hell. So truthfully, hope he gets that in order/his priorities straight for you. They weren't here.

where are y'all getting the dad/agent stuff?

I was under the impression he was in Tenn all off season working out with him 

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

I think that's the problem I have with it. 

Look, no doubt he's a good player and probably great, but he has also appeared to regress from his one super elite season in 2017. Could that be due to scheme, motivation, team around him, or a million other factors? Sure, but it is cause for some concern. I've seen numerous people in this thread claim he is the best or top 3 CB in the league and I'm just not sure he still is at this point. It's also not like he has 5-6 years of elite play and had a bad year. He's literally had one (albeit super) elite year. The talent is there and he's young (which is why he costs a premium), but I'm not sure he is the sure fire top CB in the game some people are making him out to be, at this point.

Furthermore, even if he was - we have seen plenty of players struggle after being traded (Nnamndi anyone?). Yeah, that was a bad scheme fit and presumably this could help Ramsey, but I'm just saying there are certainly some question marks surrounding this trade. I like the Rams, so I hope it works out for them and I'm not saying it's a bad trade or he's a bust or whatever, but there is certainly a lot of risk/reward here. 

I won't argue with you regarding the points first paragraph. I personally think he's a true shutdown corner that's been in a less than ideal scheme the last couple of years. But if you're asking me if I want a CB of his talent or two mystery picks in presumably the backend of the 1st round, I'm taking Jalen without hesitation despite the contract he's about to get.

Nnamdi is different. He was 30 and coming to a team who had just promoted their OL coach to DC (???) He also seemed to be more focused on his post-NFL acting career. 

• Like 1

Just now, footbull3196 said:

And they’re stupid for that tbh.  This is their last real chance to get any sort of return of value for him seeing as he can warrant a 1st round pick

They aren't going to contend for a couple of years. And PP could decline at any time given his age. If they can get a first they would be foolish not to do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Love how everyone here is a cap expert. I trust that Snead knows more about it than most do and was fully prepared before making this big of a move. 

I like Snead a ton this is a move that is respected now though, but can be second guessed years from now when a championship game isn't had. Respect the aggressiveness now will I always be able to respect the decision in the moment. 

Not sure if you are familiar with baseball I'm a Phillies fan, but Reuben Amaro was a legend when he traded for Hunter Pence that team peaked against the cardinals and he was bashed for the move years later lol I don't know how serious L.A rams fans and media get.

45 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

He hated Coughlin. Coughlin hates big personalities. It was never going to work in Jacksonville long term with that dynamic between player and front office. I don't question his priorities going forward. 

Coughlin has a real chance of being out after this year.

Even with that, Coughlin is an FO guy not a coach. It's not the same dynamic as in NYG with him being the HC. Khan likely got after Coughlin for getting into it with players with his position as well considering Khan offered him the payday AND tried to repair the relationship.

Deion spoke about it yesterday. The owner/Tony (Shads son) are great, Marrone has a fantastic relationship with Jalen, etc. Jalen got upset due to scheme and TC. 

Jalen talked about wanting to play his whole career here just last year and this off-season tried to get the bag from us to lock him here long term. 

Plain as day his agent got in his head. The TC thing was an easy fix imo.