Jalen Ramsey traded to the Rams

Scalamania

15 minutes ago, JonStark said:

His main issue was with the front office. Nothing I've seen leads me to believe that he needs to be paid right now. If we wait until next year when guys like Talib, NRC, Whit are off the books, we'll have a lot more to play with. 

Arriving to camp in a Brinks truck doesn't give you the impression that he wants to be paid right now? 

• Like 3

Just now, SBLIII said:

yeah where ever he was going to be traded to he was going to demand a new contract immediately. 

I don't know if he wants it before he reports or anything (assuming that is not the case as it is something that I think Snead would have maybe address with Jalen prior to the trade), but the dude certainly wants his money asap. That being said, nothing they do this year changes his contract for this season, I'm pretty sure. Any extension wouldn't start until after this season since its the actual last year of the rookie deal. Not sure that you can just throw out the final year, but someone better versed in contracts may be able to correct me on that (  @Broncofan where you at?). Maybe they give him the extension and they can add a prorated signing bonus portion on to this years cap? But I don't think the actual bones of the current contract would be changed with regards to base  /etc 

Just now, JonStark said:

The fun part about all of this is we'll get to find out pretty soon. I doubt it happens before the end of the season.

And I think that part is actually fine. I am confident Les had to have at least some sort of contact with Ramsey before finishing this trade to make sure that there wouldn't be an issue right away. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know if he wants it before he reports or anything (assuming that is not the case as it is something that I think Snead would have maybe address with Jalen prior to the trade), but the dude certainly wants his money asap. That being said, nothing they do this year changes his contract for this season, I'm pretty sure. Any extension wouldn't start until after this season since its the actual last year of the rookie deal. Not sure that you can just throw out the final year, but someone better versed in contracts may be able to correct me on that (  @Broncofan where you at?). Maybe they give him the extension and they can add a prorated signing bonus portion on to this years cap? But I don't think the actual bones of the current contract would be changed with regards to base  /etc 

A team and player can absolutely tear up the final 5th year option if they want to.  It’s not guaranteed except for injury.   DAL and Zeke redid the 2020 year for a 6.8M salary plus bonus instead of the 9.2M 5th year option salary.  

Just now, Broncofan said:

A team and player can absolutely tear up the final 5th year option if they want to.  It’s not guaranteed except for injury.   DAL and Zeke redid the 2020 year for a 6.8M salary plus bonus instead of the 9.2M 5th year option salary.  

But not the last year of the actual rookie deal, right (year 4, I mean)

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Any truth to Ramsey not fitting the Jaguars defensive scheme I heard  that today.

Nah, he fit. He just didn't want to play anything but man so he apparently was up in arms and would sometimes go rogue on the field.

46 minutes ago, JonStark said:

The fun part about all of this is we'll get to find out pretty soon. I doubt it happens before the end of the season.

There's no way Jalen throws a tantrum immediately after being traded. He will be a good soldier, say all the right things, etc. It benefits him to play nice so he can get his extension.

It's next season that could get interesting if they don't extend him now or in the off season.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

But not the last year of the actual rookie deal, right (year 4, I mean)

Well it’s dicier there - teams can open up negotiations after year 3 but the year is so cheap it’s often just kept the same but the signing bonus money gets paid out early and spread out over that last cheap year of the rookie deal and the first 4 years of the extension.    But the 4th year is renegotiable though the bonus often takes care if this issue. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/14/nfl-rookie-contracts-sacrifice-pay-negotiable-terms

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1856107/ramsey-rams-got-the-best-corner-in-the-whole-nfl

So he definitely wants to be there long term, at least for now. Good sign for the Rams.

He also said he wanted to be a Jaguar for life or something along those lines. Not even sure I buy it when signed on the dotted line. We've seen stars get what they want regardless of contract