Jets trade Leonard Williams to Giants

49erurtaza

I mean, the risk of not being able to resign him is essentially that they gave the Jets an advance on the compensatory pick.  If Williams can secure more money than the Giants are willing to pay him (and given Gettleman's fondness for defensive bigs, that would be a lot) then that's presumably a 2021 3rd round pick.

So in that case the Giants would be giving up a 2020 (presumably high) 3rd,  and a 2021 5th for 8 games of Leonard Williams and a 2021 (late) 3rd.

Weird trade though.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

35 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The Giants are 2-6, and Williams is a free agent in the offseason so I really don't get this.  Maybe they think they can win the division at 9-7 or they think they can extend him once they get him in the building?

Didn't they technically already have him in the building?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Guess you haven't been watching many Jet games. These guys have done zilch.

I actually like Leo, but he's not the prospect he was made out to be.

So giving up a top 10 pick for a 3rd rd pick is going to solve the issue? To me as an outsider it shows they consistently move on from players they trade and over pay for free agents, who wants to be a Jet in that situation? He was impactful with Bowles as HC they just didnt have any pass rushers and still really dont. You could have at least looked and said give you Solder for Leo and see what he can do to help protect your franchise qb as he is on the trade block for Giants. Just dont see why your quick to dump players year in and year out.  All in all it does not look good for a franchise to move players that have talent for less and then overpay for free agents. At this point if I were jets fans I would hope they put Mosley on IR so he can be healthy for next year because this move pretty much sums up that they are in no rush to win this year and have given up. Especially with talks of moving Robby Anderson and a few other guys. I wonder if Maye or Adams will want out too?

On another note as a Bills fan please lose on purpose this weekend so it messes up the Miami Dolphins Tank process.

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Didn't they technically already have him in the building?

The HQ and training facilities for the Giants and the Jets are actually different buildings.  The Giants have their offices Here, while the Jets have their offices Here.  He's going to spend more time at the training/practice facility (where the execs also work) than he will at the stadium.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
Formatting

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

So giving up a top 10 pick for a 3rd rd pick is going to solve the issue? To me as an outsider it shows they consistently move on from players they trade and over pay for free agents, who wants to be a Jet in that situation? He was impactful with Bowles as HC they just didnt have any pass rushers and still really dont. You could have at least looked and said give you Solder for Leo and see what he can do to help protect your franchise qb as he is on the trade block for Giants. Just dont see why your quick to dump players year in and year out.  All in all it does not look good for a franchise to move players that have talent for less and then overpay for free agents. At this point if I were jets fans I would hope they put Mosley on IR so he can be healthy for next year because this move pretty much sums up that they are in no rush to win this year and have given up. Especially with talks of moving Robby Anderson and a few other guys. I wonder if Maye or Adams will want out too?

Oh yeah, you're right. It's totally better to overpay underperforming talent because of where you drafted them.

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

On another note as a Bills fan please lose on purpose this weekend so it messes up the Miami Dolphins Tank process.

Kick rocks.

• Like 1

Hair-raising trade for the Giants. Thought they were pretty well stocked with young D-Linemen? Dexter Lawrence, B.J. Hill, Dalvin Tomlinson? Does Dave Gettleman realize there are such positions as, say, linebacker, or offensive tackle?

Gettleman: "Ohh, I luuuuvs me some defensive linemen!"

Image result for leonard williams
Edited by bzane
  • Like 1

Solid value. Dexter Lawrence and Leonard Williams as a duo should cause fits for offensive lines. Gettleman had Kawaan Short in Carolina. He has an old school win in the trenches mentality. Now if only he can draft the next Luke Keuchly...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

What does it matter where he was drafted? He hasn't lived up to the hype thus far.

I like him but he's an FA at seasons end. Can only get so much in those situations, especially given the contract he may warrant that is TBD on if he deserves it.

• Like 1

Sexy and prescient article written yesterday by Uri Geller, or Nostradamus or somebody, detailing why the Jets should not trade Leonard Williams. Wonder if the author would like to have this one back?

https://thejetpress.com/2019/10/26/new-york-jets-early-leonard-williams/

New York Jets: It’s too early to give up on Leonard Williams

Rumors are floating around about trade talks surrounding New York Jets defensive lineman Leonard Williams. Here is why he should be given more time to prove himself.

.........it is way too early to give up on a Pro Bowl-caliber player like Williams. The one main argument for trading him boils down to receiving an early-round draft pick in return.

The chance of getting one player close to Mack is almost zero, which is why teams try to hold on to the once in a generation type of player.  It is clear up to this point Williams is not close to the level of Mack, but he is still a former Pro Bowl player and sixth pick overall.

Another aspect is the Jets won’t have a replacement right away for Williams. NFL teams cannot just trade players without having a decent replacement, or the team just got that much worse.

The Jets are already thin on the defensive line, and getting rid of a quality defensive end will further highlight the issue.

It is only Williams’ fifth season in the NFL, and he might develop later into the product the Jets wanted originally. Some players are late bloomers, and with the 2016 Pro Bowl appearance, if he still has a lot of room to grow, then the sky is the limit.

With the draft coming up soon the if the Jets were to trade Williams, then they would need to presumably fill in his spot with another first-round quality defensive end. Chase Young from Ohio State is the one stand out player who plays a similar position that has clear potential to fill the void.

The draft pick the Jets receive for Williams would have to be high enough to get reciprocal talent back

Edited by bzane

25 minutes ago, bzane said:

Hair-raising trade for the Giants. Thought they were pretty well stocked with young D-Linemen? Dexter Lawrence, B.J. Hill, Dalvin Tomlinson? Does Dave Gettleman realize there are such positions as, say, linebacker, or offensive tackle?

Gettleman: "Ohh, I luuuuvs me some defensive linemen!"

Image result for leonard williams

Sounds like he went to the Macagnan school of drafting.  They need to take every pick they have and invest it in the OL ASAP.  That's not even an exaggeration either.

Edited by Rockice_8