Are the 49ers the leagues best team?

patriotsheatyan

50 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

It could come down to SF/NO game, but.....while the Panthers are a decent team, I don't see them posing much of a threat to the Saints, and the Saints have FIVE division games left including two against the Falcons.

As much as I talked up the Saints schedule thus far, it's about to get very, very easy. They have four games left against opponents with winning records, but two of them are the Panthers, and three of those games are at home. The other two are against the Colts and Niners. They just don't lose at home, so I have a tough time seeing them drop another game this year.

And if they get home field....for as competitive as the NFC is, it's probably over.

We all knew before the season the schedule before the bye was the hardest stretch.  I never thought we’d be 7-1, I figured we’d lose 3 games even with a healthy Brees.

But it doesn’t get all that easy.  We have Falcons twice sure, and nobody has any business losing to the Falcons, but if there is one team they’ll step up for, you better believe it’ll be the Saints.  Then Panthers twice could easily be a split, Niners, Colts, Titans and Bucs.

I think you could make a case for them, but you could make a case for probably half a dozen teams right now, halfway through the season.  While they have had a less than impressive opponent list so far, they did dominate a lot of teams that other good teams struggled against.

Losing Kwon for the season is pretty huge, but so is getting back both tackles and their integral fullback soon.  Sanders has already been a significant factor for the offense, too.  Just enjoying the ride so far.  The last five years of Niners football has been pretty painful to watch.

Regardless of last night.

It's still the Patriots until it isn't.

Ask me who do I think will win between X team and the Patriots.

It's always the Patriots for as long as Brady is the QB and Belichick is the HC.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Regardless of last night.

It's still the Patriots until it isn't.

Ask me who do I think will win between X team and the Patriots.

It's always the Patriots for as long as Brady is the QB and Belichick is the HC.

If Brady changed his number and had a different name on the back of his jersey, you would not be saying this. 

He hasn't been the same guy this year. Their offensive line is not good and the way to beat him is to get pressure with 4 guys... we generate pressure 21% of the time we run 4. that is absurd. 

Also, let's not forget how big of a loss not having Gronk is for them this year. He is the best TE of all time, amazing run blocker, incredible receiver that was uncoverable. He is not on their team this year and it shows, especially considering their offensive line has taken a big step back. 

Not saying youre necessarily wrong, but this type of thinking is a bit archaic imo. Brady is not the same guy he was even 2 years ago

1 hour ago, N4L said:

If Brady changed his number and had a different name on the back of his jersey, you would not be saying this. 

He hasn't been the same guy this year. Their offensive line is not good and the way to beat him is to get pressure with 4 guys... we generate pressure 21% of the time we run 4. that is absurd. 

Also, let's not forget how big of a loss not having Gronk is for them this year. He is the best TE of all time, amazing run blocker, incredible receiver that was uncoverable. He is not on their team this year and it shows, especially considering their offensive line has taken a big step back. 

Not saying youre necessarily wrong, but this type of thinking is a bit archaic imo. Brady is not the same guy he was even 2 years ago

Let's not forget - the Patriots are almost never the most talented team and they are still a lock to be in the AFC Championship on any given year. No other team can say this. The Pats are still well on their way to 13-3/14-2.

I'm aware Brady isn't what he was 2 years ago, but he's still a damn good QB and probably still smarter than any other QB in the league.

More importantly - the Patriots "system" so to speak is something that no other coach has ever been able to replicate. They are the ultimate champions at adapting to their own strengths and exposing their opponents weaknesses. If the Patriots were to play the 49ers or Saints in the SB I have full confidence that Belichick/Brady/McDaniels would be able to come up with a gameplan on one or both sides of the ball to give them the advantage.

So no - there is no team I would put money on to beat over the Patriots right now and Brady having a slight decline from being an MVP doesn't change that. What makes the Patriots successful goes so much deeper than Brady being an all-time great. (Although that certainly helps)

Edited by Bolts223

7 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There is this sort of myth going around of how only great QBs get to the SB and win the SB. That is not the case. What great QBs do is allow their teams to be contenders year in and year out. But damn near any competent QB could play solid enough ball to get to the SB. I mean Peyton Manning was below average and won a SB. Joe Flacco got hot and had one of the greatest postseasons of all time and won a SB. Back up Nick Foles won the Eagles a SB. Colin Kaepernick was one throw away from winning a SB. 

Drew Brees played good enough to advance in the playoffs in 2011/2017/2018, but his defenses failed him late in those games. Has little to do with his actual play, aside from his INT last year that helped LAR close the deal in OT. But overall quality of team matters more than just the actual QB. 

There's no myth that only great QBs get to the SB and win it. When push comes to shove, I'm going to take the great team with a great QB over the great team without a great QB.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

There's no myth that only great QBs get to the SB and win it. When push comes to shove, I'm going to take the great team with a great QB over the great team without a great QB.

And that's perfectly fine. Again, Rodgers and Brees have made the SB a grand total of ONE time each. Tell me the last loss either of those two had in the playoffs where they were the inferior QB? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And that's perfectly fine. Again, Rodgers and Brees have made the SB a grand total of ONE time each. Tell me the last loss either of those two had in the playoffs where they were the inferior QB? 

Okay, but there are only 2 out of 32 teams that make the SB in a given year and only 1 wins it. Jimmy has never started a playoff game. Kyle has never coached a playoff game as a HC. The 49ers roster lacks experience in the playoffs, outside a few veterans. I don't trust Jimmy. It's that simple. Playoffs are a different beast. People told me that in 2017, and I didn't believe them. That is until I saw the Rams struggle in the playoffs.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Okay, but there are only 2 out of 32 teams that make the SB in a given year and only 1 wins it. Jimmy has never started a playoff game. Kyle has never coached a playoff game as a HC. The 49ers roster lacks experience in the playoffs, outside a few veterans. I don't trust Jimmy. It's that simple. Playoffs are a different beast. People told me that in 2017, and I didn't believe them. That is until I saw the Rams struggle in the playoffs.

I'm not trying to argue your choice of the Niners not being the best team in the NFC. That is perfectly fine. You could say four other teams are better, you could pick another team to win the NFC. This isn't about the Niners. My comment was simply on how the popular pick in the NFC has been NO/GB because of their QBs.....Yet, those two great QBs have only been to the big dance ONCE. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not trying to argue your choice of the Niners not being the best team in the NFC. That is perfectly fine. You could say four other teams are better, you could pick another team to win the NFC. This isn't about the Niners. My comment was simply on how the popular pick in the NFC has been NO/GB because of their QBs.....Yet, those two great QBs have only been to the big dance ONCE. 

Well besides Brees being the better QB in comparison to the 49ers, I would argue the Saints have the better OL, running game, run defense, and pass defense.  San Fran might have the better overall DL and pass rush, but I don't think in a head to head match-up it would matter considering how good the Saints OL is.

I think there's an argument for the Pats (obviously), Packers, Saints, Chiefs considering Mahomes is back, Ravens and maaaybe even the Seahawks... but in terms of power rankings, 49ers have to be #1, they are the league's hottest team right now.

If I had to bet on who wins the SB though, I probably go with the Pats, Saints and Chiefs before the 49ers. 

9 hours ago, Raves said:

Well besides Brees being the better QB in comparison to the 49ers, I would argue the Saints have the better OL, running game, run defense, and pass defense.  San Fran might have the better overall DL and pass rush, but I don't think in a head to head match-up it would matter considering how good the Saints OL is.

Well, sure, you could make an argument for the Saints being better....as you can for four other teams being better than the Niners. Never once said otherwise.

However, the Saints have the better run offense? Yeah, going to say no on that one. Run defense? Absolutely. Better pass defense? Another thing that is questionable but we will see how SF's pass defense holds up against Wilson/Rodgers/Brees soon enough.