If you didn't think Joe Burrow was a 1st rounder last year, why would you think he's one this year?

VanS

Winston and Mariota was viewed almost unanimously as better prospects than both Goff and Wentz. There are a ton of variables that go into how successful a QB can be.

I watched Burrow live during some spring games in Columbus, and watched every snap he took at OSU - never thought he was that good. Haskins was clearly better. Burrow's performance at LSU last season was consistent with what I saw from him in Columbus.

I also am always weary of one year of production for a QB - there are examples of working out well, and examples of it not working out. When Burrow was smashing SEC records, he passed a whose who list of failed NFL QBs. The only way I take Burrow if I'm Cincy is if I believe we have the team around him and are ready to build a QB up. Otherwise, Chase Young is the easy pick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

Winston and Mariota was viewed almost unanimously as better prospects than both Goff and Wentz. There are a ton of variables that go into how successful a QB can be.

I watched Burrow live during some spring games in Columbus, and watched every snap he took at OSU - never thought he was that good. Haskins was clearly better. Burrow's performance at LSU last season was consistent with what I saw from him in Columbus.

I also am always weary of one year of production for a QB - there are examples of working out well, and examples of it not working out. When Burrow was smashing SEC records, he passed a whose who list of failed NFL QBs. The only way I take Burrow if I'm Cincy is if I believe we have the team around him and are ready to build a QB up. Otherwise, Chase Young is the easy pick.

Between the 4. I ranked them like such.

1. Mariota

2. Wentz
3. Goff

4. Winston

Other recent 1 year QBs that come to mind.

Kyler Murray
Cam Newton

They don't seem so bad

Edited by Danger

On 1/9/2020 at 3:09 PM, FrantikRam said:

I definitely disagree.  I had them all graded out as top 10 prospects, but I'd probably would have taken Goff/Wentz over Winston unless the interviews went well and then Winston would have slotted in at 2.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:16 AM, VanS said:

The elevation of Joe Burrow from a guy nobody talked about 6 months ago to the potential #1 overall pick is pretty funny.  Especially when you consider that he's going to turn 23 years old in a month and is currently older than LAMAR JACKSON

What's funny is you think that being older than LAMAR JACKSON is in itself significant in any way whatsoever.

He's a college grad turning 23 and you try to make that sound old.  lol 

My question to the Joe Burrow fans on here:  If you watched Joe Burrow last year and didn't see him as anything special, why would you think he deserves to be a 1st round pick this year or even crazier the #1 overall pick?

Maybe his performance? Apparently you didn't see him play at all this year. Why do you think so many are looking at him as the most logical #1 overall pick?  

I'm totally neutral on Burrows and in fact have always touted great caution at drafting a QB who has been elite for only one year, but acting like Cincy drafting Burrows makes no sense is pretty ridiculous. It's somewhat risky, but that's usually true of most draft picks.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:49 PM, Danger said:

Between the 4. I ranked them like such.

1. Mariota

2. Wentz
3. Goff

4. Winston

Other recent 1 year QBs that come to mind.

Kyler Murray
Cam Newton

They don't seem so bad

Right, thus my point. Mariota is by far the worst, followed by Winston, Goff and then Wentz on top. Performance in college football doesn't tell us how good a QB may be.

Jury is still out on Murray (we saw Baker have a great rookie year and then..), and Newton is a very interesting case study. MVP and Super Bowl appearance in the same year, but other than that...? Worth it to the franchise because he was a "star" and I'm sure made the franchise quite a bit of money. But other than that one year, I would argue he did not live up to being the #1 overall pick. Obviously Cam in his earlier years brought the running ability. But what would you think of these two QBs?

Player A:

70-61-2 (0-4 playoffs)

62% completions

204 TDs

118 INTs

7.1 YPA

87.5 passer rating

22 rushing TDs

Player B:

68-55-1 (3-4 playoffs)

59% completions

182 TDs

108 INTs

7.3 YPA

86.1 passer rating

58 rushing TDs

Both players led their teams to the playoffs 4 times, neither has won the Super Bowl.

Player A is Andy Dalton and Player B is Cam Newton - when you add rushing TDs to their passing TDs, it is 230 to 226. Dalton still has the better passer rating, and on more attempts. Similar winning percentage. In a vacuum here, Newton was barely worth a higher draft pick than Dalton - but an entire round? Doesn't seem worth it to me.

On 31/12/2019 at 5:00 AM, VanS said:

Stuff like what Trevor Lawrence did against Ohio St running the ball was unexpected.  His performance elevated his stock in my eyes.  Joe Burrow's performance didn't. 

Now, after winning the NC against a way better defense, did Joe Burrow elevated his stock with his UNEXPECTED rushing performance of 60yds and a TD (never mind he threw for 5TD and 450yds)? I mean, I get that elite traits are definitely a plus for any prospect/player but how can you not be impressed by Burrow? Not even talking about the stats (top 10 CFB season easily) but what about him going through his progressions quickly, making good decisions, having very good pocket movement and escape ability, having absolute pin-point accuracy (probably the most important trait in a QB, no?)? Those are the most important attributes for a QB, not elite physical traits. 
I am very confident Joe Burrow will become a better NFL QB than Josh Allen, despite not having as strong of an arm and despite not running as fast. 
I know it's just opinions and I really don't want to be seen as attacking you or anything, I just find it strange that someone could put so much stock into last year (yeah, he wasn't the best, probably not even a 1st round pick) but discredit the actual/most recent season where he just looked like the best pocket QB in CFB, whith a set of skills that translates really well in the NFL. 

Edited by MagicMT