The Development of Sam Darnold

jetskid007

9 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I would be happy with this. I love the Glasgow and Looney ideas. I think it better than investing heavily in a high priced G even if Glasgow cost a decent amount. All I ask is for the love of god can we at least run block around the league average. I feel like we havent had an even mediocre run blocking Oline since Mangold and Brick retired. I really do hope Mac goes all in on Oline. Both FA and draft. 

That's why I think getting Glasgow and Looney would be better than some of the higher-priced guys, who are primarily pass protectors (LG Joe Thuney and C Trey Hopkins will arguably be the top guys on the market, but neither are stellar at run blocking). Other options on the free agent market that I expect the Jets to consider: 

• RT Bryan Bulaga - turning 31 but one of the most consistent RTs in the NFL. 
  • LG/LT Andrus Peat - young, talented, and NO raves about him - but analytics community not a fan. 
  • RT Jack Conklin - TEN didn't give him the 5th year option, so I think he could be available. 
  • RG/RT Daryl Williams - position versatility (RG/RT) and still young at 28 years old. 
  • RG Kyle Long - 31, not short of talent, but extensive injury history. Familiar with Gase/Douglas. 
  • OT Dennis Kelly - 30, but could turn out to be a late career gem at LT/RT
  • RG/RT Germain Ifedi - former 1st rounder and gifted athlete, but inconsistent play.
  • G/C Ted Karras - he's the cheaper alternative to Glasgow - young and can play either G spots and C. 
  • OL Halapoulivaati Vautau - young versatile backup (LT/RG/RT) who could get a starting opportunity. 
  • G/C BJ Finney - young versatile backup who could get a starting opportunity. 
  • G/C Wes Schweitzer - young versatile backup who could get a starting opportunity. 
  • G/C Evan Boehm - young versatile backup who could get a starting opportunity. Played for Gase. 

FWIW - I would put money on LT Anthony Castonzo, LT DJ Humphries, RG Brandon Scherff and C Connor McGovern getting franchise tagged/extended by their respective teams.

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

That's why I think getting Glasgow and Looney would be better than some of the higher-priced guys, who are primarily pass protectors (LG Joe Thuney and C Trey Hopkins will arguably be the top guys on the market, but neither are stellar at run blocking). Other options on the free agent market that I expect the Jets to consider: 

• RT Bryan Bulaga - turning 31 but one of the most consistent RTs in the NFL. 
  • LG/LT Andrus Peat - young, talented, and NO raves about him - but analytics community not a fan. 
  • RT Jack Conklin - TEN didn't give him the 5th year option, so I think he could be available. 
  • RG/RT Daryl Williams - position versatility (RG/RT) and still young at 28 years old. 
  • RG Kyle Long - 31, not short of talent, but extensive injury history. Familiar with Gase/Douglas. 
  • OT Dennis Kelly - 30, but could turn out to be a late career gem at LT/RT
  • RG/RT Germain Ifedi - former 1st rounder and gifted athlete, but inconsistent play.
  • G/C Ted Karras - he's the cheaper alternative to Glasgow - young and can play either G spots and C. 
  • OL Halapoulivaati Vautau - young versatile backup (LT/RG/RT) who could get a starting opportunity. 
  • G/C BJ Finney - young versatile backup who could get a starting opportunity. 
  • G/C Wes Schweitzer - young versatile backup who could get a starting opportunity. 
  • G/C Evan Boehm - young versatile backup who could get a starting opportunity. Played for Gase. 

FWIW - I would put money on LT Anthony Castonzo, LT DJ Humphries, RG Brandon Scherff and C Connor McGovern getting franchise tagged/extended by their respective teams.

I had arrived to the similar conclusion.  Colts have room in cap to re sign Castonzo.   Humphries and Cardinals apparently are in the negotiation already.  Glasgow is still 50/50 shot.

Ifedi has good win block percentage but is prone to penalty.  Russell Wilson dances around too much so that could be an issue for Ifedi.  Ifedi may work better with Darnold.

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

It's interesting how madden kept decreasing Darnold to 71 rating but never touched mayfield.  Joke.

Darnold should be higher

Consider Darnold is better in most statistical categories, despite a worse supporting cast... landry, obj, chubb are all better than what we have.

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

Consider Darnold is better in most statistical categories, despite a worse supporting cast... landry, obj, chubb are all better than what we have.

Kitchens is everything the media makes Gase out to be. With Baker being the enigma that he is it was bound to be a mess. Darnold’s head is on straight, he’s very selfless and takes responsibility. It’s just his worst game of the year happened at the wrong time. National TV against the Pats.

• Like 1

Here is more of a breakdown on Darnold's situation.

Our OL is rated with the Dolphins for worst OL in football. 

-Darnold is the most pressured QB in football. Rank dead last here.

-Our OL ranks dead last in yards before contact, showing that Bell is having no chance to run.

-Darnold has thrown the 2nd most TDs while under pressure.

Mayfield has 2 WRs that are on pace for 1,100 yards. Has a RB on pace for 1600 yards.  His OL was used as a accuse, but its more of mediocre than bad. 

Our OL is straight up bad. If you think Lamar Jackson would come here and do what hes doing with the Ravens (who have a ELITE OL right now), you are mistaken. He would be struggling here most likely with our pathetic OL. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 12:55 PM, NYJets4716 said:

Here is more of a breakdown on Darnold's situation.

Our OL is rated with the Dolphins for worst OL in football. 

-Darnold is the most pressured QB in football. Rank dead last here.

-Our OL ranks dead last in yards before contact, showing that Bell is having no chance to run.

-Darnold has thrown the 2nd most TDs while under pressure.

Mayfield has 2 WRs that are on pace for 1,100 yards. Has a RB on pace for 1600 yards.  His OL was used as a accuse, but its more of mediocre than bad. 

Our OL is straight up bad. If you think Lamar Jackson would come here and do what hes doing with the Ravens (who have a ELITE OL right now), you are mistaken. He would be struggling here most likely with our pathetic OL. 

Don't disagree.  Mayfield is over-rated and has two All Pro level WRs and now 2 All Pro level RBs.  

Obviously this isn't how things work, but if you take out the Patriots game where we just completely crapped the bed, Darnold has had a 99.65 passer rating this season. And in three of his eleven games he's had 9.8+ yards per attempt. We can definitely go places with this kid if he keeps developing. He's looking like a strong bet to be our best QB since my man Pennington, at the very least.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 11:09 AM, jetskid007 said:

Here are all of his Total QBR numbers throughout his career (FWIW, 50.0 is considered average): 

• Week 1 vs DET: 82.5 (6th)
  • Week 2 vs MIA: 8.9 (32nd)
  • Week 3 vs CLE: 35.8 (24th)
  • Week 4 vs JAX: 17.3 (29th)
  • Week 5 vs DEN: 48.4 (17th)
  • Week 6 vs IND: 86.6 (6th)
  • Week 7 vs MIN: 6.7 (27th)
  • Week 8 vs CHI: 50.0 (19th)
  • Week 9 vs MIA: 11.8 (26th)
  • Week 14 vs BUF: 71.8 (5th)
  • Week 15 vs HOU: 85.6 (1st)
  • Week 16 vs GB: 78.6 (12th)
  • Week 17 vs NE: 71.6 (11th)
  • Week 1 vs BUF: 34.4 (23rd) 
  • Week 6 vs DAL: 72.7 (6th) 
  • Week 7 vs NE: 1.6 (27th) 
  • Week 8 vs JAX: 18.5 (28th) 
  • Week 9 vs MIA: 59.7 (13th) 
  • Week 10 vs NYG: 73.2 (8th) 
  • Week 11 vs WAS: 65.8 (9th) 
  • Week 12 vs OAK: 83.5 (4th) 

Updated

7 hours ago, TheChad said:

Obviously this isn't how things work, but if you take out the Patriots game where we just completely crapped the bed, Darnold has had a 99.65 passer rating this season. And in three of his eleven games he's had 9.8+ yards per attempt. We can definitely go places with this kid if he keeps developing. He's looking like a strong bet to be our best QB since my man Pennington, at the very least.

It's very impressive how he came back from that disaster of a game.  Didn't let it define him, obviously he was up against a great defense and was overmatched by talent and scheme. 

But I knew better, Sam darnold is real. Hes a franchise qb and has special traits, dude puts the team on his back and Carrie's them as a 22 yrs old. Hes special. If we had a loaded roster like others he would be talked about more. But hes inspiring a bad roster with extending plays, leadership,  deadly accuracy,  and a will to win.

I'm proud to say Darnold is our QB,  I just want Joe to build him a ol and some weapons. Bell should be a center piece next season, seems like gase is finally starting to understand how to use bell as a wr. Next season with a better ol I think he'll get 1,200+ yardage rushing and 600+ yards receiving.  

I'm also proud of beachum,  dude is a warrior, he knows this team needs him and he keeps pushing through injuries. Unlike that loser osemele who was at the game yesterday to make fun of the team.