NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s worked out for teams more recently than 3 years ago.  I’m sure people in league circles know whether or not he’s kept himself in reasonable shape or not.

Don’t make this harder than it is.

I'm not making it harder than it is. I have brought up legitimate responses to the topic at hand. I think you're making this simpler than it is by assuming mal-intent and deflecting legittimate responses/counterpoints that don't fit that narrative.

And he may have worked out with specific teams in some capacity (who may not be the same ones potentially interested now), but he was clearly interested in being a part of this workout (hence his stated desire for it to be on a Tuesday). I think it's much easier to buy that some teams may be interested in working him out than this being some elaborate charade. Why would NFL teams waste time and money on this if there wasn't some earnest intent? Doesn't make any sense.

Edited by sp6488

Just now, sp6488 said:

Except Rivers game has never been tied to athleticism in the same way that CK's was.

You don't need to be an elite athlete to run well as a QB.  Aaron Rodgers picked up a lot of first downs with this feet, and had 300+ yard rushing yards multiple times.  Kap I'm willing to bet is in better shape now than Rodgers was then.  Strong arm, NFL experience, and good to great athlete, I'd definitely take a flier on him...

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

You don't need to be an elite athlete to run well as a QB.  Aaron Rodgers picked up a lot of first downs with this feet, and had 300+ yard rushing yards multiple times.  Kap I'm willing to bet is in better shape now than Rodgers was then.  Strong arm, NFL experience, and good to great athlete, I'd definitely take a flier on him...

You may be willing to bet that as a poster on FF, but I think it's legitimate for teams that would be bringing him in (and will have to deal with outcomes on and off the field) to want to verify these things. Why is the argument at hand that he doesn't need a workout or that teams shouldn't work him out?

Also, all the focus has shifted in this conversation to physical ability. I think the opportunity to interview him and gauge whether  he is actually interested in coming back is just as much a part of this event's potential value to teams.

• Like 1

Just now, sp6488 said:

I'm not making it harder than it is. I have brought up legitimate responses to the topic at hand. I think you're making this simpler than it is by assuming mal-intent and deflecting legittimate responses/counterpoints that don't fit that narrative.

Ok.

I mean, it’s not like they could have worked him out or assessed his physical readiness before this, right?

But again, that’s not really the issue here, is it? 

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ok.

I mean, it’s not like they could have worked him out or assessed his physical readiness before this, right?

But again, that’s not really the issue here, is it? 

As I mentioned previously, this provides a much lower risk opportunity to do so than if they do it individually. All previous overtures were highly publicized and led to significant media focus for the teams involved. His contact with the Broncos, Seahawks and Ravens all come to mind easily. This forum would allow them to get a look at him, and potentially more importantly speak with him, without inviting media attention and launching the news cycle just by interviewing him/considering him as an option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems like an attempt by the NFL to save face  at the end of the day, I doubt any team cares to give him a serious shot at a compensation and situation that is agreeable to Kaepernick. What is he going to do, join the Bengals for vet minimum if they offered?

Never know if no one tries. 

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, we can all have our red, white and blue stances on things, but if you’re gonna say he’s not one of the top 64-96 qb’s in the league I’m going to say you’re blind or a BSer.

Is he good enough to be an “obvious starter”?  No, probably not, but crappier players have regular, consistent gigs in this league.  I’m not sure that’s even debatable at this point.

This ^^^^^^^

2 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

As I mentioned previously, this provides a much lower risk opportunity to do so than if they do it individually. All previous overtures were highly publicized and led to significant media focus for the teams involved. His contact with the Broncos, Seahawks and Ravens all come to mind easily. This forum would allow them to get a look at him, and potentially more importantly speak with him, without inviting media attention and launching the news cycle just by interviewing him/considering him as an option.

Risk?  Getting kinda free and loose with that term no?

Risking a small percentage of boomers getting upset?  What are they risking? Has it actually hurt any of those teams you mentioned?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

If I had an ex employee that sued me I wouldn't rehire him either.  

He didn't sue. He used the NFL's arbitration process and filed a grievance. Like players who challenge fines, suspensions, etc. 

"He used a process that we ourselves agreed to! BANISH HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Makes sense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ok, allow me to rephrase, he hasn’t been unemployed thus far based on ability.

The willingness for people to bury their heads in the sand on this one is incredible.

Anyone who thinks the reason he’s been out of the league for 3 years is because of his ability on the field is touched.

He’s out of the league for the exact same reason Tebow is out of the league. Neither of them are bad guys but the circus that comes with them simply isn’t worth it. He’s not going to be a starter and nobody is going to put up with the crap you’ll have to deal with while this guy sits on your bench. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Risk?  Getting kinda free and loose with that term no?

Risking a small percentage of boomers getting upset?  What are they risking? Has it actually hurt any of those teams you mentioned?

No, I'm not. I'm using normal terms. Calling something a low risk environment is the appropriate terminology. It appears you're trying to seize on minutia in my post now rather than responding to the actual point.

Ultimately it's a headache to the team, inviting distraction and media circus for a guy that's almost assuredly not one of the 32 best at his position at this point. This type of setting reduces the potential barriers to teams meeting with him. While I doubt this workout results in him being signed, I think it's more indicative of there being some interest among teams rather than some further proof of his blackballing, as it appears to be spun ITT.

Finally, to your second line... while I doubt your questioning is in good faith, let's flip that question on it's head. Did those teams benefit from the interaction? I think that's a clear no. Any time, effort, energy or attention that went into the interaction most certainly didn't result in anything positive for them. So, while it may not have "actually hurt" those teams in some clear identifiable way, those team's engaging with him certainly aren't examples of why other teams should be chomping at the bit to have worked him out individually.