Dorsey

Kiwibrown

How you feeling about Dorsey?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Im on the dorsey train

2. 2. Dorsey vs Brown

3. 3. Dorsey does not know how to build around Baker

John Dorsey needs to bring in a whole lot more steak and a whole lot less sizzle. Our lines on both sides is very lacking to go with flash on the outside. If you want to contend in the NFL, you'd better be strong up the middle, and it's clear that we are awful in almost all of these spots on both sides of the ball (OL, DL, S, with a solid but not great LB corps).

• Like 1

I think we have two solid starters on the OL in Tretter and Bitonio and a serviceable player in Robinson. The rest are trash except as backups.  Our DL, if all are playing, is fairly decent with Garrett being the lone very good player. 

Our Safeties are all backups and special teamers at best.

Our LBs outside of Schobert are special  teams players with perhaps some situational value. None are really starting quality at this point in their careers.

We could use a good TE as well to go along with Njoku. He is not the prototype but is a decent starter. TE seems to be a hard position to draft reliably and takes several years to develop in most cases.

11 hours ago, Mind Character said:

It's been reported that McCarthy's next staff will include the following: Jim Haslett, Defensive Coordinator, Scott Mccurley, Linebackers/Defensive Assitant, Frank Cignetti Jr, QB Coach/Offensive Assistant. Those principle staffers with Mike McCarthy as OC/HC and let's assume James Campen still as OLine Coach don't do it for me as a coaching staff that will create a real force.

Ultimately, it's not about making a change for change sake, but making one in order to get to that place we've all dreamed about or at least compete to get there. MM would be an upgrade over Freddie imo, but not one to make us a consistent competitor.

Yeah it’s been reported that be the first couple hires to his staff. Report from a Wisconsin article that interviewed him or at least where I found the information, said those coaches you named, have been meeting as a “fake” staff since he has been fired going over things and evaluating every aspect of a MM program. 

“But not long after his firing, McCarthy decided to assemble a skeleton coaching staff of his former boss with the New Orleans Saints (Jim Haslett) and two former McCarthy assistants (ex-Packers inside linebackers coach Scott McCurley and ex-quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti). They’ve been working in “The Barn” ever since, as McCarthy reevaluates everything he did during a tenure that included eight straight playoff berths, three NFC Championship Game appearances and the Super Bowl XLV title following the 2010 season.”

“The best part professionally about this time is I’ve had to reflect. I’ve reflected on everything — coaching staff hirings, how you install (the playbook) … I’ve gone through every segment of my career.”

Asked how his offensive scheme, which — fair or not — drew criticism from some for being antiquated, McCarthy replied, “Obviously it’ll be quarterback driven. The offense has to be built around making the quarterback successful. That’s what I’ve always believed, and that won’t change.”

”“But to keep up with the trends, there’ll probably be more shifts and motions. But we also benefited from having a great quarterback (in Rodgers) who liked things stationary. He was the best I’ve ever been around at gathering information at the line of scrimmage. He was great at that. I don’t anticipate having that at the next stop.”

yeah you might not be excited about a potential hire like that but you could say it could bring a lot of stability and professionalism to this franchise. No really Learning curve b/w staff and FO since there are so many connections. Some of the coaches can hit the ground running since some have already been working together. 

MM might get us to at least a point of being stuck around 8-9-10 wins. I would love to get stuck on a hump like that and maybe he learned enough that maybe he can surpass that hump as well once the team is ready but if not at least he could bring the team to a spot that might be ready for a Plateau busting type coach 

I think I want Rivera first but would be fine with MM or McDaniels

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 12:36 AM, Fatgerman said:

Hey buddy. Sorry not sorry I just beat you in our first round playoff matchup. Been too depressed with this Browns season to post, plus just diagnosed with Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis, so let's just say I've felt physically how the Browns have been playing.

What have I missed?

Take care of yourself and your health, man

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

If you decided to tie-down a christmas tree in your truck to make sure its secured on the highway drive home only to see it fly out of the truck bed because the rope-harness you used to secure the tree was faulty due to manufacturer defect, it wouldn't mean that your decision to attempt to tie-down the tree to secure it was wrong. Outcomes mean a lot for the quality of decisions, but often the quality of logic behind the decision at the time you made it is what matters most.

When evaluating GMs or personnel execs, the rationale and logic behind decisions should be evaluated to see if it was sound, as well as the outcome. 

The draft record is the draft record. By the time you get to pick 32 in the 1st round, the hit-rate/success rate is less than 47% for GMs in the league.

DRAFT.png

After that, it keeps declining incrementally before experiencing a hard fall-off after mid-round 2. It's absolutely true that during the same time other GMs have performed better than Dorsey in comparative hit-rates and many have them have done so without the draft capital Dorsey had to work with.

Here's a wide variety of significant things/decisions (good or bad) Dorsey has made since being hired:

1. Cut Kenny Britt
  2. Traded DL Danny Shelton and 2018 5th-round pick to New England in exchange for 2019 3rd-round pick
  3. Traded QB DeShone Kizer and swapped to lower 4th and 5th round picks to Green Bay in exchange for DB Damarious Randall.
  4. Traded 2018 3rd-round pick to Buffalo in exchange for QB Tyrod Taylor
  5. Traded 2018 4th-round pick and 2019 7th-round pick to Miami in exchange for WR Jarvis Landry
  6. Traded QB Kevin Hogan and 2018 6th-round pick (No. 205) to Washington in exchange for 2018 6th-round pick (No. 188)
  7. Signed unrestricted free agent DB T.J. Carrie
  8. Signed unrestricted free agent RB Carlos Hyde; Later Trades Carlos Hyde to Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for a 2019 5th-round pick.
  9. Signed unrestricted free agent DB Terrance Mitchell
  10. Signed unrestricted free agent OL Chris Hubbard
  11. Hired Todd Haley; Todd Haley Hires Freddie Kitchens; Freddie Kitchens Hires Ryan Lindley as RB coach
  12. Allowed Freddie to make Ryan Lindley QB Coach later.
  13. Cut Carl Nassib
  14. Cut LB Jamie Collins Sr.
  15. Signed OL Greg Robinson to be starting LT.
  16. Acquired WR Odell Beckham Jr. and DL Olivier Vernon from the New York Giants in exchange for OL Kevin Zeitler, DB Jabrill Peppers, 2019 1st-round pick (Dexter Lawrence) and a 3rd-round pick (Oshane Ximines)
  17. Traded Emmanuel Ogbah for Eric Murray.
  18. Signed DL Sheldon Richardson
  19. Signed OG Eric Kush to start at RG if Corbett couldnt cut it after Zeitler was traded away.
  20. Signed DB Juston Burris off New York Jets' practice squad
  21. Came out in the Media and said "Duke's not expendable yet." Despite fans acting like Duke wanted out before, Duke corrects the record and accurately states that he didn't request a trade or wasn't discontented until after Dorsey spoke his true feelings.
  22. Traded RB Duke Johnson Jr. to Houston Texans for 2020 3rd round draft pick
  23. Acquired G Wyatt Teller and a 2021 7th-round pick from Buffalo Bills in exchange for a 2020 5th-round pick and a 2020 6th-round pickA
  24. Traded C Austin Corbett to Los Angeles Rams in exchange for a bag of doritoes
  25. Traded DE Genard Avery to Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for an undisclosed bag of funions.

• Like 1

Dorsey has to accept responsibility for hiring Freddie, terrible trade to Giants, and 50% miss on draft picks.  I concur with Mind Character but add he should be told one more year to make playoffs or move on.  He has demonstrated his skills as talent scout except blind spots for WR/S and O linemen.  This coming draft and FA should be the last effort at rebuild adding enough talent to win more than lose.  Furthermore, he must insist ALL coaches start coaching players up to NFL caliber standards and hold all coaches accountable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, #32 said:

Dorsey has to accept responsibility for hiring Freddie, terrible trade to Giants, and 50% miss on draft picks.  I concur with Mind Character but add he should be told one more year to make playoffs or move on.  He has demonstrated his skills as talent scout except blind spots for WR/S and O linemen.  This coming draft and FA should be the last effort at rebuild adding enough talent to win more than lose.  Furthermore, he must insist ALL coaches start coaching players up to NFL caliber standards and hold all coaches accountable.

Uh... how many hits do you think even the best GMs make every draft? It's not 50%.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, #32 said:

I dont like ultimatums, but yes, keep dorsey, no madden style trades, build the team through the draft and with good free agrnts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, #32 said:

This is a solid roster. Our coaching and scheme on both sides was terrible. Dorsey isn’t near perfect and has his problems but this isn’t his fault.

2 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

This is a solid roster. Our coaching and scheme on both sides was terrible. Dorsey isn’t near perfect and has his problems but this isn’t his fault.

Eh, it’s sort of his fault.

This is his roster with some huge holes and he’s burned through hella assets and make some questionable trades, but nothing fireable tho.

He deserves some blame, the players some too, coaches even more, but this festering franchise is rotten from the top.