Week 15 - News and Notes. Lets start off with a doozy

WizardHawk

8 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

1) Obviously they are not keeping Jason Garrett next year.

2) It's amazing to me that some of you guys survived the Campo years as football fans if you are about to hop ship over Jason Garrett.

Jurys still out if I would have. I was in 2nd grade and my biggest concern at the time was whats for dessert

22 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Patently ridiculous.

The game was a lot harder to play 20 years ago than it is now. I'd venture to guess that all offenses have an easier "schedule" now, than they did then.

Edited by DaBoys

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins landed in hot water this week for tweeting an offensive term for people with intellectual disabilities at someone on Twitter and then trying to defend his use of it as “slang” from where he grew up.

Giants head coach Pat Shurmur had different words for the term. He called it “very inappropriate and offensive” on Thursday and Jenkins’s unwillingness to apologize for using it was the impetus for the Giants to part ways with Jenkins for good.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/13/janoris-jenkins-released-by-the-giants/

im curious as to what he tweeted out. Haven’t seen it yet

Edited by textaz03

14 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins landed in hot water this week for tweeting an offensive term for people with intellectual disabilities at someone on Twitter and then trying to defend his use of it as “slang” from where he grew up.

Giants head coach Pat Shurmur had different words for the term. He called it “very inappropriate and offensive” on Thursday and Jenkins’s unwillingness to apologize for using it was the impetus for the Giants to part ways with Jenkins for good.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/13/janoris-jenkins-released-by-the-giants/

im curious as to what he tweeted out. Haven’t seen it yet

He called someone a retard. Not to defend Jenkins, but that word is deeply ingrained in a lot of peoples vernacular. 

Ive put up with a lot from this team and its idiot player moves over the years. I almost quit with greg hardy. I took a whole season off. But if this teams claims this dude it'll be the straw that breaks my back. I will post a pic of all my cowboys jerseys burning. He consistently attacked team leadership and coaching all season, made it clear he only cares about his own stats, and now is attacking fans, using a slur and them sarcastically apologizing, making it clear he was only doing it because he was told. Im so far beyond done with this team as it is- adding that idiot will end it. 

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

He called someone a retard. Not to defend Jenkins, but that word is deeply ingrained in a lot of peoples vernacular. 

Yes it is. It is also unfortunate that the view point of our language, sense of humor, what is (or was) clearly right and wrong, acceptable and unacceptable to many of us who were born circa 1970 -1990 are now being penalized, ostracized, demonized and down right bullied into submission because many of today's up and coming young adults see our views as an evil thing. 

You know, I get it, but back then we were secure enough with ourselves that we could throw terms around. Sometimes in sarcasm the terms were intended to imply a particular imperfection and it was the implication that was considered funny, not that the person the term was directed at WAS  actually "imperfect."

We could razz one another without taking it to heart and getting all bent out of shape. It was actually a pretty healthy way of telling someone to stop acting like a jerk or to get their head out of their arse or to grow up.

And sometimes the term thrown around was... well, let me put it this way, if the shoe fits...

But all in all, we were left to use our discretion and sense of judgement as to who and what was said. What chaps my arse today is that we are being dictated to as to what is "acceptable" terminology in America today. Doesn't this violate our inalienable right of freedom of speech?

And to quote the Big guy: "Let he without sin cast the first stone."

12 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Yes it is. It is also unfortunate that the view point of our language, sense of humor, what is (or was) clearly right and wrong, acceptable and unacceptable to many of us who were born circa 1970 -1990 are now being penalized, ostracized, demonized and down right bullied into submission because many of today's up and coming young adults see our views as an evil thing. 

You know, I get it, but back then we were secure enough with ourselves that we could throw terms around. Sometimes in sarcasm the terms were intended to imply a particular imperfection and it was the implication that was considered funny, not that the person the term was directed at WAS  actually "imperfect."

We could razz one another without taking it to heart and getting all bent out of shape. It was actually a pretty healthy way of telling someone to stop acting like a jerk or to get their head out of their arse or to grow up.

And sometimes the term thrown around was... well, let me put it this way, if the shoe fits...

But all in all, we were left to use our discretion and sense of judgement as to who and what was said. What chaps my arse today is that we are being dictated to as to what is "acceptable" terminology in America today. Doesn't this violate our inalienable right of freedom of speech?

And to quote the Big guy: "Let he without sin cast the first stone."

As someone who was born 1970-1990, i call bull. Lets take it piece by piece. 

Yes, times have changed. Many of the things i once said and did are no longer acceptable. I realize this and feel penance for it. Growing up and growing old is just that- growing UP not down. Take responsibility. Old dogs can learn new tricks. 

Secure enough with ourselves? Quite the fallacy. Ignorant enough to not realize that our words and actions may have unintended consequence is more accurate. Everyone makes mistakes. Youre making excuses. 

A pretty healthy way of telling someone off? You mean as opposed to, Idk, telling someone off directly, as a man? Nah its better that we use derogatory terms for the differently abled and less fortunate. Thats healthy [/sarcasm].

If the shoe fits? Ive worked with plenty of differently abled people who have 10x the heart, empathy and decorum that I do. Its touching. I suggest you try it sometime.

Freedom of speech does not include freedom from consequences from your speech. You can be a bigot or a moron all you want, but you better be wjilling to live with the consequences and judging by your speech youre not willing to do so.

As your big guy says, "love thy neighbor." Not denigrate them and use their circumstances to describe thngs you find unpleasant. 

• Like 3