Week 15 - News and Notes. Lets start off with a doozy

WizardHawk

6 hours ago, Ace5 said:

As someone who was born 1970-1990, i call bull. Lets take it piece by piece. 

Yes, times have changed. Many of the things i once said and did are no longer acceptable. I realize this and feel penance for it. Growing up and growing old is just that- growing UP not down. Take responsibility. Old dogs can learn new tricks. 

Secure enough with ourselves? Quite the fallacy. Ignorant enough to not realize that our words and actions may have unintended consequence is more accurate. Everyone makes mistakes. Youre making excuses. 

A pretty healthy way of telling someone off? You mean as opposed to, Idk, telling someone off directly, as a man? Nah its better that we use derogatory terms for the differently abled and less fortunate. Thats healthy [/sarcasm].

If the shoe fits? Ive worked with plenty of differently abled people who have 10x the heart, empathy and decorum that I do. Its touching. I suggest you try it sometime.

Freedom of speech does not include freedom from consequences from your speech. You can be a bigot or a moron all you want, but you better be wjilling to live with the consequences and judging by your speech youre not willing to do so.

As your big guy says, "love thy neighbor." Not denigrate them and use their circumstances to describe thngs you find unpleasant. 

@Ace5 actually may not have been drinking when posting this. I was born in 66. I can understand both ends of @Rtnldave and Aces' thoughts on this.

Different times now. Most people do grow and learn to adjust to when and how you say something. But also everybody seems to be offended by something these days. It's crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HDsportsfan said:

Different times now. Most people do grow and learn to adjust to when and how you say something. But also everybody seems to be offended by something these days. It's crazy.

Exactly, the "When in Rome" talk does not apply here because people now days go around looking for things to be offended by.

Okay, so after stepping off of this and putting my mind somewhere else for a few hours. I have settled on the thing that bothers me the most about all of this.

It's that today we are expected to abandon the things that we recognized as the norm because it is now deemed offensive. I get that. But the problem I have with this  is that there were times when it was deliberate and meant to be offensive and times when it was said facetiously, without harm but in comparison to a stigma. I can see where today that difference cannot be made. But that is where I have an issue. 

Back then we were trusted to use our discretion and people understood sarcasm from intent.

There was a mutual respect among folks so when terms like this were used, the people that were targeted got the hint. They got it because they respected you enough to know you would never say or do anything to truly hurt them. But by the same token, you had no problem calling them out when it was warranted.

Today, none of that is understood. They only see the surface and immediately react with calling you a hater or racist or other.

In short, they just don't get the whole picture and pass judgement quickly and in the name of being offended.

Back in my day it would have been settled very simply by an apology if what was said was taken as offensive, and if that apology wasn't accepted, the offended was viewed as a certain part of the female anatomy and told to get thicker skin.

But tell me, at what point does the offense stop? The US being a melting pot, sooner or later someone will come along and find something else that was accepted as the norm as offensive. And the whole thing starts over.

And what about us? The perps? Where are our rights that we are offended by those that are easily offended? We now have to walk around with, what I see as the new plague, ANXIETY! Everyone suffers from anxiety today in some way. So our new anxiety is trying to adapt to a changing world that sees us as heartless monsters and wants tear down our history and heritage in the name of social justice. This makes us feel like horrible people because this was our norm and now we are being told it was all wrong. Being told it was all wrong by a generation that has more gun violence in the cities and schools then we ever had, cities that allow $950.00 of stealing before the law can take effect - see SF- and by more terrorist activity amd success on our country then in years past.

But the way we did things was wrong. Well if this is right, I can't wait to see perfect.

I'm done. Thank you.

7 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Sneaking in a ice cream cone from 7/11 after work before walking home and getting served by sugar free ice cream by the GF. Nothing beats it

Sugar-free? If I was diabetic I would just take my chances with amputation and eat some Blue Bell Rocky Road. Screw that.

• Like 2