Xbox Series X

showtime

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Y’all said I didn’t want it enough, but I waited patiently.  Finally got my Series X, and I got a tax break along with it.  

I like that in that little box that has all the stats for this thread, it has "I guess you still dont want it enough...." as a popular post.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scar988 said:

What's the difference between this and the Series S?

Series S is only digital. Series X allows for discs. More importantly: Series X has much more powerful hardware the graphics will be better and games will run smoother.

Here's a brief table:

Parameters Xbox Series X Xbox Series S
Price The Series X is priced higher than the Series S. The Series S is cheaper than the Series X.
Performance 12 Teraflops of processing power. 4 Teraflops of processing power.
Storage Up to 1TB. Up to 512GB.
Accessories Box includes 1 Ultra High-Speed HDMI cable. Box includes 1 High-Speed HDMI cable.
Display Resolution True 4K. 1440p.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, scar988 said:

What's the difference between this and the Series S?

Like @elevators_rulepointed out

Its basically a matter of do you want 4k (X) or 1080p (S), it can do 1440 but it seems to be more of a 1080 / 60-120 FPS 

Additional stuff like disc drive only in the X, smaller hard drive (but smaller file sizes) on the S. X is Black and S is white.

A couple of games might go with more of a boosted Xbox One X version of a game on the S and only the Series X gets that like top notch version. But it’s not the norm. Probably will decrease further the gen moves on

Odd 

Curious why they did this. The Head of The Initiative used to lead over at CD so the teams are close, I also don’t think TI had staffed up yet for full blown production…we’re staying a tighter team.

Maybe the scope increased or COVID delays were really pushing things back (both are California studios). 

Studio isn’t big enough yet to make me think they are splitting off for another game either.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:40 PM, Kiltman said:

Odd 

Curious why they did this. The Head of The Initiative used to lead over at CD so the teams are close, I also don’t think TI had staffed up yet for full blown production…we’re staying a tighter team.

Maybe the scope increased or COVID delays were really pushing things back (both are California studios). 

Studio isn’t big enough yet to make me think they are splitting off for another game either.

To follow this up, basically it’s a COVID thing, we’re delayed getting movement on building the team due to restrictions.

Also a lot of support studios are getting bought up and instead of scaling a brand new team all the way to make this game they are getting a chunk of the team over at CD to reunite and get it made.

Some analysts have speculated that this is like a pseudo test run or it’s the first of many steps to come towards them being bought (the western Square studios). Avengers going to Gamepass today is another one they point to. It’s a stretch but feasible. For awhile I thought Xbox shaving off some teams from publishers might be a way they go, rather than another megaton purchase of a publisher.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor on the genres for Compulsion’s next game

They apparently have beefed up a lot since being bought by Xbox. And it will be Unreal Engine 5. 

Pretty excited to see what it is. Conceptually they’ve done well in the past with Contrast and We Happy Few. Happy to see a couple 3rd person action adventure games make it to Xbox.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone here have the Series S? Is it worth getting? I'd get the Series X but it feels impossible to find, nor do I have the time to check a bunch of websites everyday to see if it's back in stock. Main thing that worries me about the S is the lack of storage.

21 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Does anyone here have the Series S? Is it worth getting? I'd get the Series X but it feels impossible to find, nor do I have the time to check a bunch of websites everyday to see if it's back in stock. Main thing that worries me about the S is the lack of storage.

Don’t have the S. But some of what I’ve heard it’s a very quick and powerful way to play games at HD/ to kinda 2k picture quality. Like it does great with frame rate tests, outperforming the X and PS5 is a few tests because it doesn’t need to render the 4k images natively.

One thing to remember with the S is file size will be smaller do you not having to download the 4k textures. Like with all these base consoles you’ll have to juggle games, but you can use an external drive for longer term storage of games you aren’t playing. You can play Xbox One games directly from there too.

Other thing is what your setup/tv is like. If you have a 4k tv I’d try to get the X. Moreso the better your TV is. The S has good Ai upscaling and other features, but the X takes advantage of a lot more stuff. If you still have an HD TV the S will do just fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Don’t have the S. But some of what I’ve heard it’s a very quick and powerful way to play games at HD/ to kinda 2k picture quality. Like it does great with frame rate tests, outperforming the X and PS5 is a few tests because it doesn’t need to render the 4k images natively.

One thing to remember with the S is file size will be smaller do you not having to download the 4k textures. Like with all these base consoles you’ll have to juggle games, but you can use an external drive for longer term storage of games you aren’t playing. You can play Xbox One games directly from there too.

Other thing is what your setup/tv is like. If you have a 4k tv I’d try to get the X. Moreso the better your TV is. The S has good Ai upscaling and other features, but the X takes advantage of a lot more stuff. If you still have an HD TV the S will do just fine.

Thanks for the feedback. Pretty much what I've read and heard as well.

Thinking I may pull the trigger and get this, and then get the PS5 when it becomes more readily available and/or a bit cheaper.

• Like 1