What Should the Bucs do w/ Jameis Winston?

RandyMossIsBoss

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

You can mitigate the turnovers by having some semblance of a running game. The turnovers will dissipate with that.

To some extent, sure. If he's throwing less passes he'll throw less INTs. But he is who he is at this point. He'll always be turnover prone.

Edited by SmittyBacall

8 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

To some extent, sure. If he's throwing less passes he'll throw less INTs. But he is who he is at this point. He'll always be turnover prone.

Correct. But they won't lose close games if they have a run game to fall back on. It won't be Winston chuck time in the 4th quarter when they have a lead. That's what they're missing.

I still think Winston has the potential to turn it around.  Somehow just has to find a way to reel him in

However, current form Winston is absolutely one of the worst starters you can have at QB.  Especially if you value winning the turnover battle, as you should.  Maybe it’s okay against bad teams, but he’s far too turnover prone for the team to really be a playoff contender unless they field an elite defense.  Even for all the TDs he puts up, he seriously hurts his team with his TOs.  He’s a turnover machine. 

It’s a tough spot for the Bucs.  Winston as is can’t be a long-term starter, but what Winston could be is.  It really depends on if you can get a coach to help him cut down on his turnovers.  I thought Arians and Winston were a bad fit together for that reason.  Granted they are 7-7, but it’s gonna be hard for them to get much further than average with the amount he turns it over 

I say re-sign to a 2-3 year deal but don’t pass on a QB if you feel one is there

10 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I still think Winston has the potential to turn it around.  Somehow just has to find a way to reel him in

However, current form Winston is absolutely one of the worst starters you can have at QB.  Especially if you value winning the turnover battle, as you should.  Maybe it’s okay against bad teams, but he’s far too turnover prone for the team to really be a playoff contender unless they field an elite defense.  Even for all the TDs he puts up, he seriously hurts his team with his TOs.  He’s a turnover machine. 

It’s a tough spot for the Bucs.  Winston as is can’t be a long-term starter, but what Winston could be is.  It really depends on if you can get a coach to help him cut down on his turnovers.  I thought Arians and Winston were a bad fit together for that reason.  Granted they are 7-7, but it’s gonna be hard for them to get much further than average with the amount he turns it over 

I say re-sign to a 2-3 year deal but don’t pass on a QB if you feel one is there

If I'm being completely honest I said above to cut him but I don't think it's just that simple I don't think that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers can move forward with him but that doesn't mean another team couldn't be better with him. However they have got to limit what they allow him to do it far as passing numbers. I think that Jameis Winston has pretty much worn out his welcome in tampa bay and I think it's time for that team to move on at quarterback but I do believe that Jameis Winston can evolve into something of a Alex Smith for someone

I believe Winston will stay as long as the current regime is employed by the team.  The GM drafted him and  I really doubt a 67 HC is interested and developing a college QB.

Certainly not absolving the turnovers, but there has to be context.  They can t run the ball at all.  I ll be generous and say their tackles have been average.  Winston for his entire career has Donovon Smith as his LT.  

The defense has been top 15 in scoring defense once in his career.  Ironically, that was the one winning season.  Can the turnovers add to scoring defense?  Sure, but the Mike Smith defense was a sieve from the start to the end of the game.  That staff was so bad only 1 assistant on the defensive side of the ball found a job with an NFL team.  Brentson Buckner, dline with the Raiders.  I m a firm believer, a team needs talent, but also a staff to maximize that talent.  The defense has been a failure until the last 5 games this season.  They have rolled out the youngest secondary in the league.  There have been many growing pains, but finally these guys seem to be getting it.

The team is 3rd in the league in scoring without being able to run the ball.  Could the turnovers come down with a better line that can run the ball and protect?  The offensive scheme is vertical like no other in the league.  It is going to be top 2 in air yds.  Turnovers are always going to be part of the offense because of the vertical concepts and throwing with anticipation.  Yes, the turnovers need to come down and history suggests a QB in yr 2 of an Arians offense that will happen.  They re going to franchise him or extend him.  And the Bucs always structure their extensions to guarantee the first 2 yrs and have very little money or no money guaranteed after that.

• Like 2

They should figure out what plane of existence he is on to be playing Madden Football in real life games...

In all reality I think he gets franchised to see if the turnovers are cut down. Either way he singlehandedly makes Sunday afternoon snooze bowls into entertaining football so I hope he sticks around.

8 hours ago, Hukos said:

If the Bucs get rid of Winston they're basically locked into 4-12 for a few years until they find their next QB.

It really depends how quickly you think TB can find another QB to excel in their system. Because of this, I think Winston has leverage in negotiations, even despite his turnovers. The alternative for Tampa Bay is to punt for the next 3-4 seasons before they find their next guy.

And with how QB hungry the NFL is, I think if TB let him go, plenty of teams would jump on him in an instant.

You know they did better back to back seasons with Fitzpatrick than Winston?

Try and get him on a short deal, or at least one you can get out of quickly if things go Jameis’y. If he won’t agree to that - tag. No way I’m extending him on a big deal with security. Then draft someone who you think might be able to fit the offense. 

A big wrench can be thrown in this if he holds out, however. If he tries to play hard ball by not signing the tag, or worse, he pulls a Ramsey/Williams, I cut bait on the spot or trade his rights for whatever I can get.