What Should the Bucs do w/ Jameis Winston?

RandyMossIsBoss

14 minutes ago, mission27 said:

On the flip side, he can potentially put you in the playoff hunt every year, and if he gets hot at the right time he could carry the team, so who knows 

Like the Bucs have spent so much of the last five years in the playoff hunt.

Edited by patriotsheatyan
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, August4th said:

would sign him to a 4-5 yr deal that's easy to cut bait from after 2-3 years in case its still not working out

So...The Bortles doctrine?  But probably worse?

This is what bad teams like the Jaguars do, when they're afraid to admit their QB sucks.

Before ppl say this is Jameis' locked in future - keep in mind Arians' offensive system calls for 3 elements:

1.  A QB with the arm talent to excel vertically.

2.  A QB who understands the system to put the ball in spots, way ahead of seeing the guy come open.

3.  A QB willing to push the ball vertically.

Element #2 takes the longest to develop - Carson Palmer's first 8 games with Arians - 10 TD, 14 INT, 3 fumbles.   2H?  14 TD's, 8 INT's, 3 fumbles.    And then in 2014 - 2016, Palmer goes off.    Because Arians' system calls for deep shots with a ton of anticipation/timing, you're going to see a huge learning curve year 1.   Now, that's not the only issue Winston has - but it adds a ton of context to understanding why Arians has been so patient this year. 

Winston's more mobile, but otherwise the same skill profile is there that Arians looks for.    The tricky part - you can't have a game manager succeed with Arians' system.   You need a gunslinger.   And frankly, with Evans and Godwin, it leverages their talent to maximum benefit as well.   Under a different O, you could make a strong case that the TO's outweigh the good Winston does.  But in an Arians O, you need a Winston-type arm talent with gunslinger mentality.    That's why he's been so willing to sit through Winston's VERY painful 2019 1H, and not consider a switch, because the growing pains are real in his system (again, not to absolve Winston at all, he deserves about 18 of those 24 picks all on his own, that's still too high).   But the investment is because Arians sees that Winston's toolset fits what he needs in his QB to recreate the ARI peak O days.

And before you think this is conjecture - this is what Winston & Arians just said today:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/12/16/jameis-winston-makes-his-case-for-staying-in-tampa-bay/

Winston...

“I hope I helped myself,’’ he said, “because I definitely want to be here in Tampa.’’

Arians....

“I thought he was fantastic,’’ Arians said of Winston. “Just give them one (interception) and let’s go play and let’s win the game. That first quarter was lights-out. Every ball was on the money. I can’t say enough about him.’’

Considering that GM Licht got extended, and was also found to have created a burner account for which he defended Winston on Twitter tirelessly over the offseason and last year...and the Glazer family is a very patient ownership philosophy-wise.....it seems a foregone conclusion Winston's at least getting tagged.   A shorter, 3-4 year deal might be in the works.

Winston absolutely owns the TO's - he's not trying to make the crazy hero play anymore, but he still doesn't see the underneath guy at critical times (the TO today and last week for his picks to Darius Leonard).   It's crazy, because it's not a read progression inability, nor that he locks on to 1 guy.   It's some weird blind spot thing.  

But he's also a guy working with a bottom 10 OL in pass pro by DVOA, a bottom 10 run game, and now for the past 2 weeks, he's led teams to W's without Evans, and then for the 2H this week, no Godwin or Evans, and this week also had a broken thumb AND the starting LT out.   Honestly, TAM's best bet is to hit LT in Rd1, hit CB & IOL in FA (and add IOL depth on Day 2), and then see what comes out of Year 2 growth understanding Arians system.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 6

If the Bucs get rid of Winston they're basically locked into 4-12 for a few years until they find their next QB.

It really depends how quickly you think TB can find another QB to excel in their system. Because of this, I think Winston has leverage in negotiations, even despite his turnovers. The alternative for Tampa Bay is to punt for the next 3-4 seasons before they find their next guy.

And with how QB hungry the NFL is, I think if TB let him go, plenty of teams would jump on him in an instant.

Edited by Hukos

As a Bucs' fan - so long as it's not a contract that locks them in long term, I'm fine with the team bringing him back.  Whether that's franchising him or giving him a contract with a team out after 1-2 years, I'm not terribly picky.  (Although it would be nice to have the franchise tag as an option with Barrett if they have any issues getting him to sign a long-term contract.) 

I sometimes see Bucs fans act like the only way to keep Jameis is to sign him to a long term contract, but we aren't the only team who's seen his maddening inconsistency and propensity for turnovers.  I can't imagine why any team would be willing get locked into paying him $30m/yr for the long-haul.

• Like 1