What Should the Bucs do w/ Jameis Winston?

RandyMossIsBoss

• Leads NFL in passing yards, on pace for over 5,000 yards
  • 2nd most TDs in the NFL w/ 30
  • Leads NFL in INTs by wide margin, w/ 24. Also has lost 5 fumbles.
  • 7 games w/ multiple turnovers
  • 3 games w/ 4 TDs
  • 3 games w/ 400+ passing yards

He'll be 26 in January.

Do the Bucs franchise him? Tie him up long term? Try to give him a prove it deal and maybe draft QB in the 2nd or 3rd? Will there even be a market for him?

In the last 7 weeks, despite his continued propensity to turn the ball over (2 lost fumbles and 12 INTs), the Bucs are 5-2 and averaging 31.4 PPG behind Jameis's 16 TDs and 2,501 yards.

What do you think the Bucs will do?

What should the Bucs do?

As a fan, I would like to keep him.  EIther Franchise him or a prove-it type deal with lots of incentives.  Then I would draft someone like you said in the first couple of rounds to groom behind him.

The Bucs although a mediocre team you will be entertained as there is never a dull moment with Jameis at the helm.

• Like 1

They aren't in position to draft a guy this year without expanding assets. Franchise him, see if you can amass a passable defense, and hope he doesnt have multiple 4 turnover games next year.

I mean really, if they had a league average defense even despite how turnover prone he has been they're probably still in the playoff hunt.

28 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Keeping him would keep them being an entertaining team but I don't think you can win the SB with how turnover prone he is.  

Not signing him would be a massive risk though, so I think the Bucs will re-sign him

This. 

He averages more than a turnover a game. The winning percentages when you turn it over even just once compared to zero drop pretty considerably I'm pretty sure. 

Then you also consider the winning percentages when you lose the turnover battle. 

He puts them behind the 8 ball every game on average with those turnovers.

Move on.  Arians can probably find ways to get raw yardage out of a lot of QBs.  What he can't do...is prevent the stupid decisions and turnovers that have pretty much defined Jameis career to day.  He's old enough as a QB, that he pretty much is what he is now.  That's not going to change much.  You might crabwalk sideways into the playoffs with that kind of play, if the rest of your team really excels and he has a less disastrous turnover number than average in a particular year and everything goes just right...But are you really winning a championship like that?

• Like 2

He has a near 1:1 TD to TO ratio in a career year while having an all star receiving corps and an elite offensive mind helping him. He’s failed to make the playoffs 5 times in 5 years. His team did better with Fitzpatrick each of the two previous seasons. He is an embarrassment as well. 

Keeping him will make your team continue to be a gag. Between his constant losing, his off the field issues, his horrific lack of coordination creating a few hilarious plays a year, and eating a W, I don’t think any other player elicits laughter and contempt like him in the NFL. If you seriously commit to this as your identity I don’t know what to say. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

This. 

He averages more than a turnover a game. The winning percentages when you turn it over even just once compared to zero drop pretty considerably I'm pretty sure. 

Then you also consider the winning percentages when you lose the turnover battle. 

He puts them behind the 8 ball every game on average with those turnovers.

On the flip side, he can potentially put you in the playoff hunt every year, and if he gets hot at the right time he could carry the team, so who knows