AG20 2020 Mock Offseason

AlexGreen#20

2 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

One view is optimistic and the team is on the rise  ... one is pessimistic and the team has no hope.   Yup, big difference for sure.  

This is a mock draft thread. Go re-watch the 49ers game and we can discuss the results in the appropriate thread.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A 1st Round DT does more for you next year than a 1st round WR.

Agreed.  Upgrading the DT position in my mind is key.  I like your first round pick.....would like Derrick Brown even more....but he won't be there.  An upgrade to the DL in the middle is an instant upgrade to our interior linebacker position.

Not sure on Bulaga.  Your right....$10 million per year is the going rate, but do you pay that much for a player that will be descending the entire length of the contract?  Maybe Veldeer does have something left in the tank....maybe not.  I might suggest we take a tackle in the 2nd round.  This draft will be deep in that position.

Want to take a flyer on a WR...how about AB?  Yes...he is a headcase...but he is a rare talent.  Plus he is the best broken play WR out there in the NFL.  And when you have Aaron Rodgers you have plenty of opportunities for big broken plays that are off schedule throws.  Maybe restructuring/extending our center's contact would give us some more room next year.

Love your signing of the Bears linebacker.  Getting rid of Graham and Lane are no brainers.  Love Williams as a person...maybe don't re-sign him and hire him as a coach.  Love getting rid of Martinez.  Addition by subtraction.

Love to get rid of Pettine too....this bend...bend...bend....bend...defense only works against middle to bad teams.  Saints, 49'ers, will eat that defense up.  Apparently even Pettine wants to emphasize stopping the pass only.

Remember cutting Rodgers after the 2021 season is very reasonable....and cost saving too.  Build for after Rodgers. 

Edited by minnypackerfan

3 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I’d like to see us bring in a veteran CB and ILB this offseason. I’d like to see us bring in a rookie QB, OL, and DL. I could see us sitting at 9-5 next year this time but with the board in general feeling better about the team than this year.

Sean Lee.  He'd be 33-34 yrs old....but on a 1 year deal might be worth it.  He's playing on a 1 year deal now at $3.5 million with incentives that could take him to $7.0 million....won't reach most of them.

5 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I mean, possibly?  But dosent it also significantly depend on which player and not just position?

that said, I like me those 2nd round GB WRs. And we all know we’re going defense in RD1

So true... I mean if you look at the history of DTs in round one, your first year contributions aren’t really that impressive either especially outside the top 10. There were 6 first round dts last year and only 2 are grading out well (Lawrence and Simmons). WR was 1 for 2 for first rounders last year and 3 for the top 4 selected (Brown, Brown, and D Samuel).The quick productive Wrs that can run routes have been translating early recently. Meanwhile the larger power forward wrs are taking more time with the exception of super freak DK Metcalf who was unjustly doubted.

Edited by pacman5252

Like it, good job.  Love the comments!

What we do with the cap number is going to depend on BB.  If we bring him back without him taking a significant discount we're going to be limited on what we can do.  

Not sure that Kwiatkoski is gonna be that affordable or if Kinlaw is going to be available in the late 20's but I love the attempts to fill the position groups in both instances (ILB w/ affordable UFA & DL w/ an early pick).

As much as I like the idea of drafting a WR I would prefer to go out and sign one. It will take too long for a rookie to get to grips with the NFL and on top of that playing with Rodgers. The name I like the most in FA is Robby Anderson. He has never had a decent QB throw him the ball and has constantly flirted with being a 1,000 yard receiver. While there are quite a few good TE's available this year in FA, I just think it is a waste of cash as Rodgers doesn't really involve them as a primary targets. I would prefer to spend the cash on a WR. Then in the draft I would go heavy on the trenches. OR go really crazy and package up picks to go get Derrick Brown out of Auburn, he is gone to be real good!

It may very well go down with our impending free agents like this, but I see it just as likely Bulaga and his agent hold out for that last time long term deal that somebody will overpay to give him.  I see more potential risk with Bulaga than paying Martinez.  I don't like 10 mil a year for Blake either, but perhaps he is had for something a bit more reasonable.  One thing for sure, highly unlikely we' re able to retain both.  Possible though.  I like a D-lineman in round 1.  If Bulaga is gone I like a OT more so.  For the right one I could live with a WR in round 1 too.  I'd have to chew on something to get the bad taste out of my mouth though.  Even if we do sign a veteran FA or re-sign Martinez I'd like to see an inside guy a bit earlier.  Not sure Burks is long for this league.

51 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

As much as I like the idea of drafting a WR I would prefer to go out and sign one. It will take too long for a rookie to get to grips with the NFL and on top of that playing with Rodgers. The name I like the most in FA is Robby Anderson. He has never had a decent QB throw him the ball and has constantly flirted with being a 1,000 yard receiver. While there are quite a few good TE's available this year in FA, I just think it is a waste of cash as Rodgers doesn't really involve them as a primary targets. I would prefer to spend the cash on a WR. Then in the draft I would go heavy on the trenches. OR go really crazy and package up picks to go get Derrick Brown out of Auburn, he is gone to be real good!

I'm good signing a guy like Robby but I still want us to take a WR with upside on day 1-2. It's not like Rodgers is retiring tomorrow — even if it takes the rookie a year or two to develop, we'll still be in our SB window, and we need an infusion of talent on that side of the ball. Also FWIW, Rodgers did throw to his rookies a fair bit last year.

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We have a chance to be 13-3, why does the needle need to move significantly? It doesn't.

QB and pass rusher look great next year, two most important positions on the field. OT, we'll have the cash and the inside track to sign Bulaga, next most important position looks great. DB, have King, Alexander, Savage and Amos back next year, next most important position, just fine.

So really, WR, TE, ILB #2 DL and RB are our questions going into the off-season. I'll take that. Too much worrying about nothing.

We're an extremely fortunate 13-3.  Could very well be 8-8 (or worse) if not for some of the best fortune in the NFL.