Resting the starters: yay or nay

Elky

Shoudl teams rest the starters if they have nothing to play for?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no?

• Yes
    • No

Yes rest as many as possible and get healthy for the Playoffs. Only time this "can" (poorly coached teams) become an issue is when you do it for 2 straight weeks as a #1/2 seed.

Momentum can be taken away from those teams on a Run but in most case, that's too is an Organizational issue.

No one has ever been able to prove to me that "momentum" is an actual, quantifiable thing in sports. Until I see that proof, I'm going to assume it's another sports talking point. Rest. Let some 3rd stringers get to play in what may be the only NFL game they ever get to play in. You never know, you hit a guy in that week 17 game that's a complete diamond in the rough and and you give him a 2nd look in a future season.

The only good argument against resting, in my opinion, is that the home crowd doesn't get to see a lot of fan favorites that they paid money to see, but on the other hand, I'm sure a playoff victory/legitimate chance at a Super Bowl is worth not seeing your favorite player in a week 17 game.

• Like 7

After the Vikes showing on Monday Night, I don’t even know how they could consider resting starters to be honest. I get the point of trying to avoid injury, but when you come off that bad of a performance, wouldn’t it be better to try and get back on track immediately than during a playoff game. 

Zimmer would be foolish to sit his starters, they frankly don’t deserve it. 

Edited by vikingsrule

It varies. Personally, I think the Ravens are making a mistake sitting starters. Two weeks is a long time to not play football. The rest is nice but too much time off can be a bad thing. I would play the starters the first half and sit the second.

Patriots are playing for a bye. No way anyone sits.

Chiefs should play starters as they're still fighting for 2nd/3rd seed. As the game progresses if it becomes clear that they're locked into a slot, that needs to be communicated to the coach and starters sat at that point.

7 hours ago, Hukos said:

No one has ever been able to prove to me that "momentum" is an actual, quantifiable thing in sports. Until I see that proof, I'm going to assume it's another sports talking point. Rest. Let some 3rd stringers get to play in what may be the only NFL game they ever get to play in. You never know, you hit a guy in that week 17 game that's a complete diamond in the rough and and you give him a 2nd look in a future season.

The only good argument against resting, in my opinion, is that the home crowd doesn't get to see a lot of fan favorites that they paid money to see, but on the other hand, I'm sure a playoff victory/legitimate chance at a Super Bowl is worth not seeing your favorite player in a week 17 game.

This. Momentum is a bed time story. People want a spiritual element sprinkled into aspects of their lives, and that includes sports.

• Like 1

If the Ravens sit their players this week, then that’s some of their guys going 20 days without a game. Maybe momentum isn’t a quantifiable thing, as suggested above, but surely that kind of lay-off can’t be good for a player’s sharpness.

I’m not against the concept of resting players in general, but I’d probably lean towards no unless you’re wanting to protect someone who has been playing with a minor knock (which I understand is often the case in the NFL!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

The year the Colts ruined their chances for an undefeated season by resting their starters the last two weeks they managed to get to the Super Bowl. They got out coached (it was Payton vs. Caldwell) and lost but they did make it there

Same with the 2004 Eagles. Team was fine after essentially a three week break.

• Like 1

It's less about rest, more about injury prevention to me. A playoff game with a backup QB making their first start is basically a disaster waiting to happen.

(If BOB starts Deshaun Watson this week, I'm going to find him and punch him in the chinhole).

• Like 2