Would a SB this year mean more for Rodgers or Brees’ legacy?

DirtyDez

Granted they could win it but it wouldn’t mean they played at a special level...  So hypothetically lets assume they play at the caliber of their current regular season level...  Which player would it mean more for?

I would say Brees simply because Rodgers will have more chances.  I’m sure there would be some Rodgers GOAT takes if he wins it this year and plays great...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

I’m sure there would be some Rodgers GOAT takes if he wins it this year and plays great...

Which is why I think it would mean more for Rodgers to win it. Many believe he was one of the most “talented” QBs to ever play the position with his mobility, precision, and velocity. There was talk that his HC was the biggest problem with that team, first year with a new HC and you’d have to think that could boost him back into the GOAT discussion.

Brees, I think will forever, no matter if its wrong or not, be seen as in the cast shadow of Manning and Brady. He’s never won an MVP as well. I think an MVP would have meant more for his legacy as its a box to check off, he’s just been one of the most unlucky QBs to ever put up elite seasons... doing it against a young Rodgers and a young Mahomes.

Rodgers having more chances to win a ring also is why it means so much. Because if he finishes his career with say 3 rings total and he breaks all these passing records, and he’d have a leg image GOAT above Brady shot within the court of public perspective. You look at his WR core and you never think GOAT WR or GOAT TE, you could argue his athletic gifts, he plays for one of the most storied franchises in NFL history, you could argue how important him having to play at a high level has meant to his team, his team (nor Aaron himself) hasn’t been linked to any cheating scandals. However, as it stands, he doesn’t have the argument.

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Everyone is playing for 3rd place behind Brady and Montana.

A 2nd ring with another SB MVP if earned on one of those 9 TD no picks type runs would go a long way in leaning to one or the other of these 2 guys who are both considered top 5.

Yeah if it’s one of those types of runs you could make the case for #3 all time for either guy  Although I could see both guys winning it all and not necessarily being the best offensive performance on offense.  Other factors like who they beat will also factor into legacy.  

Like when Brees went thru Warner, Favre and Peyton...  Either guy could go thru Russell, each other and Brady/Mahomes/Jackson..

3 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Granted they could win it but it wouldn’t mean they played at a special level...  So hypothetically lets assume they play at the caliber of their current regular season level...  Which player would it mean more for?

I would say Brees simply because Rodgers will have more chances.  I’m sure there would be some Rodgers GOAT takes if he wins it this year and plays great...

means more for Rodgers

Brees already has many volume stats

AR is having an average year. He needs it more

plus, its 1 more than Favre

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

means more for Rodgers

Brees already has many volume stats

AR is having an average year. He needs it more

plus, its 1 more than Favre

Pretty much exactly what i came in here to say.

Brees already has the edge, in that he's top of the charts in big volume stat categories...and i don't see Rodgers career living long enough to ever even come all that close to catching him.  Brees legacy is cemented, even without a second ring.  His SB win was absolutely huge and memorable too, on top of all that.

For Rodgers to surpass Brees, he's gotta make the argument that he's had the bigger peaks and the higher highs.  The MVP title goes a long ways toward starting that case, but without besting Brees on championship rings...it just feels a bit more hollow somehow, compared to the consistency of year after year long-term compilation of stats Brees has accumulated.

The crux of it is that Brees isn't just your average everyday "compiler" of stats.  He's got a ring, and he's got some MVP caliber seasons in his resume...just didn't have the right timing against crazy competition.  To have any real case to beat that, you have to have the better "big win" stats.

It would mean more to Rodgers at the moment. Sure, he's got more chances (probably at least), but he's also been subject of the "is he as good anymore" talk. 

I try to avoid stats to a degree when talking about greatest ever as you can't help the offensive players and scheme you play in all that much. Both guys have shown longevity and an ability to steer successful ships despite players coming and going. We've seen backup QBs play much better in New Orleans, but the O still plays significantly better with Brees. So imo, coaching and scheme are a bit of a wash. 

A ring for Brees this year is the icing on the cake. He's had a great couple of seasons statistically, deep playoff runs, etc. It would be something of a disappointment for him not to grab a 2nd ring given the circumstances.

Rodgers, on the other hand, has still put up great stats this year but seems underappreciated. I hear a lot of chatter about him like he's some kind of "has-been". A decent playoff run statistically and a ring would likely shut detractors up and allow people to orient themselves to Rodgers being a great QB without knocking him for a lack of "bang" plays or handing the ball off a bit more than usual. It would be more of a vindication for Rodgers in that regard. 

10, 15, 20 years from now? I don't think a single ring makes a huge difference. In the way so many view Marino as "the best to never have a SB ring", I think people look back and think of both as guys who "easily should've had more". But everyone is going to be in Brady's shadow regardless. The guy has the stats AND the rings in a combination that probably will never be matched.

• Like 1

Rodgers. I think his career would be looked back on as a disappointment if he doesn't at the very least get to another one. Packers would have gone 30 seasons of top 10 all time QB play with only 2 Super Bowls to show for it. Brees has vastly overachieved his draft status and will be seen as the greatest player in his franchise's history (maybe the history of New Orleans sports) for decades to come even if the very next QB after Brees is a hall of famer.

Something to consider is that statistically, Brees and Brady have both outlived their shelf life by many years. What they are currently doing is history...through the long history of the NFL, they have consistently played at an elite level much longer than any other QB. And the truth is that Rodgers is also reaching the end of his shelf life. There is no guarantee that he is an elite QB a few years from now.