Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

49 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

1. I included Gurley in the first paragraph. Him being cut saved $5.5M, basically having you guys at 0 now. Floyd would still be $10M, draft would be a couple. Hence the $14M over estimate.

You didn't count the offset, and you assumed that all money would be dumped into 2021. As we both know, that wouldn't be how it would work. Assuming it's Goff's contract that is restructured, it would be spread over the next four years.

2. Everyone has a ton of cap space in 2022 and 2023. That's meaningless. You have $120M in space because there are 19 players under contract that year. Yes, you can use that space. That doesn't change the point that having to use it isn't good, though. If having cap space 2 - 3 years down the line means you have flexibility, then EVERYONE has flexibility, so that statement is meaningless. And they still have less cap space at that point than most teams, so they're still less flexible than most.

In today's NFL, unless you have a bunch of toxic contracts on the books in future years or basically no cap in 2021, you have flexibility. When they changed the rules to allow all rollover cap, that was the result (well, that and the cap going up each year; when that stops, teams might run into issues).

3. Correct me if I'm wrong here, butI don't think you can restructure Goff to create meaningful space this year. Most of his cap hit this year ($21M of it) came in the form of a roster bonus, which if it's like most roster bonuses, it has already been paid out. All that would be restructurable to signing bonus would be his $10M base salary, which wouldn't be enough. I'm not 100% on this, but typically roster bonuses his a few days into the league year. So I would think that money is paid out and not restructurable. I just know normally teams are moving base salary to signing bonus to spread out hits. Never seen it done with a roster bonus.

There's some special clause in his contract. I'm not sure of the particulars of it. Without knowing the clause, I can't say what the restraints are. If it gives them a certain amount of time to convert the roster bonus to an option bonus, that would allow proration.

See, and maybe this is just semantics, but my argument is that it is an issue. Yes, they can get under the cap. But only by creating future issues. They don't have some get out of jail free card to get under the cap. They push the money into the future to get under the cap. That is a real issue.

That's where I'd disagree. I don't think they create future issues. Yes, there is a cost of kicking the can down the road. But as long as the cap keeps increasing, that cost is limited. Just kick it down the road until you are resetting, take your lumps for a year, and then you're good.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I like the Rams roster as a whole, but I feel they have overpaid too many guys. They need a draft class to try and replace some of these overpaid guys.

Trading two firsts for Ramsey who wants a mega deal was incredibly stupid. And I don't think Goff is a championship caliber QB. They almost need to just blow it up.

11 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Funny you say this when you clearly haven't gotten the point! The 2020 #1 pick was supposed to be the most important in recent years to Tank for Tua, how'd that work out for him? Is Lawremce guaranteed not to get injured if thereĀ is a college season? Is he guaranteed to put up better stats then his Sophomore year, which wasn't much better if at all then his Freshman?

What if Fields pulls a Burrow, is he now some can't miss Stud making that super coveted #1Ā pick you claim it to be more important then what Cincy has this year because of Joe's historic season?Ā 

Huh? After Lawrence topped him in the NCG, most people started looking towards 2021. Tua was considered a great prospect, but Lawrence was considered the generational one after that game. And Tua dislocated a hip. I already qualified my statements with "barring injury."Ā  Would be great if you didn't ignore that.

If Fields outshines Lawrence and takes the #1 slot, that doesn't change the calculus.

Ā 

Like Miami tried to do? Giants FO wanted to do? Redskins FO almost did? Problem was the players and coaches trying to save their jobs had other plans and decided to give a big middle fingers towards those in power who even thought of remotely trying it.

Jacksonville is no more guaranteed a 0-16 type season then the Chiefs are a 19-0 type season.

Ā 

I didn't say it would be successful. I said that I fully believe they've tried to do it.

3 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Trading two firsts for Ramsey who wants a mega deal was incredibly stupid. And I don't think Goff is a championship caliber QB. They almost need to just blow it up.

BAHAHAHAHA! Just stop. This forum is painful to read too much of the time.Ā 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

BAHAHAHAHA! Just stop. This forum is painful to read too much of the time.Ā 

Your roster isn't as good as you think it is and your team is in cap hell without a franchise QB and little to no draft capital the next two years. That is blow it up territory.

4 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Your roster isn't as good as you think it is and your team is in cap hell without a franchise QB and little to no draft capital the next two years. That is blow it up territory.

This is one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard. We have no first round pick in 2021. You don't blow up your roster when you don't have the ability to benefit from it. JFC. And our roster was supposedly bad in 2017. Then, we went 11-5, won the division, and made the playoffs. I'm going to continue trusting McVay to run things. He hasn't led us wrong thus far.Ā 

And I don'tĀ have the time or interest toĀ addressĀ the monstrous idiocy from the Goff haters.Ā 

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

Just now, jrry32 said:

This is one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard. We have no first round pick in 2020 and 2021. You don't blow up your roster when you don't have the ability to benefit from it. JFC. And our roster was supposedly bad in 2017. Then, we went 11-5, won the division, and made the playoffs. I'm going to continue trusting McVay to run things. He hasn't led us wrong thus far.Ā 

And I don'tĀ have the time or interest toĀ addressĀ the monstrous idiocy from the Goff haters.Ā 

Blow it up probably wasn't the correct phrasing, but an overhaul of sorts is needed. I have no faith in Jared Goff. I think he's the worst contract in the league. Rams set up his family for generations just for beating Mahomes one time. People say it would be dumb to give Dak top 5 QB money well the Rams made Goff the highest paid QB of all time.

39 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Blow it up probably wasn't the correct phrasing, but an overhaul of sorts is needed. I have no faith in Jared Goff. I think he's the worst contract in the league. Rams set up his family for generations just for beating Mahomes one time. People say it would be dumb to give Dak top 5 QB money well the Rams made Goff the highest paid QB of all time.

At least Goff willĀ come in handy if we play Kansas CityĀ 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

At least Goff willĀ come in handy if we play Kansas CityĀ 

That game was supposed to be played at a neutral field Mexico but instead was turned into a home game for the Rams at the last minute, and the team was playing for California fire victims. I would have been shocked had the Rams lost that game.