Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

....? The optics in even engaging this back and forth on a social media platform looks terrible from a guy who should be “above” that type of behavior.

Players do dumb stuff like this a lot on social media. It’s not ideal but it’s not exactly a shock.

A co-owner/front office guy doing the same? You can’t honestly be wondering why this doesn’t reflect well on Jacksonville’s FO...

Not sure if you noticed, but wigging out on Twitter in America from people in a position of power has been normalized. Tony’s tweets are pretty tame. 

This is a different generation. Wouldn't shock me if more stuff like this happens on social media as days go on. What Yan is doing isn't exactly precedented either, and that's an equally awful look (especially when trying to get potential employers to give up compensation AND pay you).

Tony killed him in that exchange and just made him look worse for doing what he's doing....something, as I said, a good agent would keep a player from doing.

Such a petty stance by ownership to take advantage of the franchise tag just to hold a player hostage. I don't blame the Jaguars, it's within the rules and good business from their perspective - I just think the NFL needs to get rid of the tag all together.

How is it that in the sport with the least amount of job security, there are so many obstacles preventing a player from signing his first long term contract? If 4-5 years isn't enough time to work out a new deal, you're doing something wrong as an organization and the player shouldn't be held responsible for that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Such a petty stance by ownership to take advantage of the franchise tag just to hold a player hostage. I don't blame the Jaguars, it's within the rules and good business from their perspective - I just think the NFL needs to get rid of the tag all together.

How is it that in the sport with the least amount of job security, there are so many obstacles preventing a player from signing his first long term contract? If 4-5 years isn't enough time to work out a new deal, you're doing something wrong as an organization and the player shouldn't be held responsible for that.

I agree about the tag.

But as you said, it's available to the team. The players, through a collective bargaining agreement, agreed to have it in there. So...

Just now, .Buzz said:

I agree about the tag.

But as you said, the players agreed to have it in there. So...

Yup - Business is business. Just makes you wonder who the hell is negotiating these deal, lol. 

Seems like such an obvious thing for the NFL PA to insist on removing. 

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

Yes but getting rid of the tag gives the players more leverage, the object of the tag is to give the agent and organization more time to come to an agreement on a new deal. Players should never have to actually play out the franchise tag. Players obviously would wait it out and go to another team if there was no tag. The team took a chance on you by drafting you so they should have a chance of retaining you or get compensation for you. The jags will eventually trade him, keeping him around and tying up 18 mil isnt an ideal scenario for the franchise long term but letting players walk with little compensation also looks bad. I have a feeling a team will come calling thursday night or friday morning when they realize they need a pass rusher and didnt get one in the 1st rd. The draft is some what weak at that position so a team will look to make a splash to stay in contention, like the seahawks if they cant get someone in the draft

Rumor has it the Falcons want to move into the top five, speculated for Okudah. Is that smart?  Tied for next to last in sacks, decimated by injuries and lack of depth.  Would you really want to mortgage the future for one guy?  When they did that for Julio they were coming off a playoff berth. 

2 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

Rumor has it the Falcons want to move into the top five, speculated for Okudah. Is that smart?  Tied for next to last in sacks, decimated by injuries and lack of depth.  Would you really want to mortgage the future for one guy?  When they did that for Julio they were coming off a playoff berth. 

didnt they pick up Fowler in fa to solve their pass rush? Not saying its the right move but they have no corners on that team right now. 

9 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

They are going to have to give up a ton. Not sure I would do that for a CB. I am a Lions fan and I dont know if I really think Okudah is worth a top 5 pick and that is who we are most likely taking.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Yup - Business is business. Just makes you wonder who the hell is negotiating these deal, lol. 

Seems like such an obvious thing for the NFL PA to insist on removing. 

It would be, but it effects approximately 0.5% of players annually.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

didnt they pick up Fowler in fa to solve their pass rush? Not saying its the right move but they have no corners on that team right now. 

Very true. Also a safety who’s been on IR two seasons in a row. That’s my point, they have holes all over the place. Theoretically if they go huge on one spectacular guy, couldn’t other teams just throw to the void on the other side of the field?  Brees and Brady certainly could.