Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

No, he didn't. Real talk, dude, other players are watching, and they aren't liking what they see. The Jaguars holding that dude hostage to try and milk every bit of a compensation out of a deal (along with all of the other awfulness of the past few years) isn't going to sit well with some guys around the league. And I think there's an element of reason to what Yannick is doing. He's basically saying, "If you keep holding me hostage, I'm going to act out in a way that harms my trade value." 

So be it.

That's the players fault for allowing it in the CBA that they agreed on. The tag is literally there to do exactly what they're doing (or obviously bide time for an extension). It would be foolish to let a player with value walk for nothing. You look back a year ago and one lesser pass rusher went for a 2nd (Dee Ford) and one probably slight better player (although not quite the pass rusher which is who gets paid here) went for a 1 and 2. You don't sit and let that walk when the market clearly warranted a team gaining valuable assets by doing what they're doing. Neither of those teams who tagged and trades those players had any plan to pay them.

Didn't look like players, after an even worse PR thing came out with Coughlin illegally fining players (who thankfully got fired), didn't seem to hurt their optics in this FA class very much. Them doing what the NFLPA allowed and they agreed to I don't see as an issue, especially when this happened twice just last year. Yan just happens to be vocal in his displeasure.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So be it.

That's the players fault for allowing it in the CBA that they agreed on. The tag is literally there to do exactly what they're doing (or obviously bide time for an extension). It would be foolish to let a player with value walk for nothing. You look back a year ago and one lesser pass rusher went for a 2nd (Dee Ford) and one probably slight better player (although not quite the pass rusher which is who gets paid here) went for a 1 and 2. You don't sit and let that walk when the market clearly warranted a team gaining valuable assets by doing what they're doing. Neither of those teams who tagged and trades those players had any plan to pay them.

Didn't look like players, after an even worse PR thing came out with Coughlin illegally fining players (who thankfully got fired), didn't seem to hurt their optics in this FA class. Them doing what the NFLPA alloyed and they agreed to I don't see as an issue, especially when this happened twice just last year. Yan just happens to be vocal in his displeasure.

Well, the CBA also allows Yannick to act out on Twitter. I agree it makes sense to tag and trade him. But if other teams are making reasonable offers, it's a bad look to just sit on a guy in hopes of milking every last bit of comp out of him, especially when you already have a bad reputation. How would we know if it hurt them? Schobert is the only biggish name they signed, and we don't know what sort of other offers he had. This is less about a single play and more about a pattern with the Jags. You don't want a reputation as a franchise that mistreats its players. 

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So be it.

Didn't look like players, after an even worse PR thing came out with Coughlin illegally fining players (who thankfully got fired), didn't seem to hurt their optics in this FA class. Them doing what the NFLPA alloyed and they agreed to I don't see as an issue, especially when this happened twice just last year. Yan just happens to be vocal in his displeasure.

Yes you are correct but neither of those guys have publicly torched their teams like Yan is doing. Had he just kept his mouth shut from the beginning of the offseason, until this saturday he would be rolling up to the bank on a new team. All this negative publicity is now lowering his value and teams who were on the fence on making an offer may now back out. I get it the team did him dirty with a weak offer last year then decided not to make it a top priority until after coughlin was gone the damage was done but man the dude is only hurting his value by chirping. The agent should have been on top of this. Even if the organization is in the wrong and not taking his calls just let it ride out and then start complaining when the draft is over and you werent moved. Now the team may keep him just out of spite. They can do what the texans did prevent him from getting a long term deal done with another team and dumping him for peanuts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Well, the CBA also allows Yannick to act out on Twitter. I agree it makes sense to tag and trade him. But if other teams are making reasonable offers, it's a bad look to just sit on a guy in hopes of milking every last bit of comp out of him, especially when you already have a bad reputation. How would we know if it hurt them? Schobert is the only biggish name they signed, and we don't know what sort of other offers he had. This is less about a single play and more about a pattern with the Jags. You don't want a reputation as a franchise that mistreats its players. 

That's the thing though, not a single offer has come in.

We don't know if that's the Khan's holding firm in that they're trying to not allow that players get their way or his value just isn't there. But Mark Long from the AP reported this morning the Jaguars haven't even got offered a 2nd round pick for Yan (or anything) yet.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

What are the reasonable offers that teams are making? From what is being said no one has offered anything yet. My guess would be the day of the draft or the next day when teams couldnt land their edge in the 1st rd

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yes you are correct but neither of those guys have publicly torched their teams like Yan is doing. Had he just kept his mouth shut from the beginning of the offseason, until this saturday he would be rolling up to the bank on a new team. All this negative publicity is now lowering his value and teams who were on the fence on making an offer may now back out. I get it the team did him dirty with a weak offer last year then decided not to make it a top priority until after coughlin was gone the damage was done but man the dude is only hurting his value by chirping. The agent should have been on top of this. Even if the organization is in the wrong and not taking his calls just let it ride out and then start complaining when the draft is over and you werent moved. Now the team may keep him just out of spite. They can do what the texans did prevent him from getting a long term deal done with another team and dumping him for peanuts.

This is my whole thing.

If he keeps quiet and doesn't do all this on social media I think a legit offer comes in prior to/at the draft.

With this? Maybe it still will. But you potentially lost a team or two's interest. With Jalen and AB they were top at their position. Yan's a very good pass rusher, but he's not at their level of star status. I'm not sure everyone is going to love seeing what he is doing and worry what if that happens to them eventually.

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yet with him the niners were one of the best pass rushing teams in the NFL and one of the worst without him

Hopefully for their sake that pitch works to some team and they get them to bite. I've seen a whole lot of Dee Ford. He's not worth 18M a year. Dude gave them like 6 sacks last season.

10 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

What are the reasonable offers that teams are making? From what is being said no one has offered anything yet. My guess would be the day of the draft or the next day when teams couldnt land their edge in the 1st rd

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That's the thing though, not a single offer has come in.

We don't know if that's the Khan's holding firm in that they're trying to not allow that players get their way or his value just isn't there. But Mark Long from the AP reported this morning the Jaguars haven't even got offered a 2nd round pick for Yan (or anything) yet.

Kind of hard to believe that nobody is making offers unless they've been told not to bother unless they offer X or the Jaguars just aren't taking calls.

2 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Hopefully for their sake that pitch works to some team and they get them to bite. I've seen a whole lot of Dee Ford. He's not worth 18M a year. Dude gave them like 6 sacks last season.

He was hurt all year and missed games. Production wasn't a problem on the field. Health was. That's always been a fair complaint about him. But everyone should have known that before the trade. That isn't new.  If they weren't prepared for that when making the trade, that's on Lynch and company. 

6.5 sacks in 10 games (he only played 4 snaps against new Orleans) is good though on the field. That's sack production that gets that type of pay in the current market.  Has to stay on the field though. 

I have no interest in trading him yet. I always planned on cutting / trading him in after 2020

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Kind of hard to believe that nobody is making offers unless they've been told not to bother unless they offer X or the Jaguars just aren't taking calls.

That's what was stated from a report from someone that is fairly connected to the Jags. Not a single offer has been made.

Like I said...I guess we'll see.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think with a some what deep free agency at edge teams didn't want to pay the hefty price tag he is seeking. I think that is also another reason why Clowney hasn't been offered one either. Not many teams want to commit 100+ mil on an edge rusher when you can have a couple of capable rushers who can meet that goal combined. May not be elite tier but a step below can get the job done and half the price. With a some what weak draft for edge rushers those two guys will likely get deals with teams who miss out on landing one in the draft. 

36 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

They have a decent amount of cap space, but not enough to sign all the free agents they'll have. Sherman, Thomas, Tartt, Juice, Coleman, Breida, Bourne, and a handful of lower tier guys are slated to be free agents next year. Next year is really when they start paying for their superbowl team too. Alexander, Richburg, Ward, etc., all have their contracts balloon next year.

They'll be fine, ultimately, but they could use additional space for future moves at the same time. I could see it making sense. If you know you won't be retaining Tartt in a year, that could just be an attempt to get value earlier. Ford could get you enough money to look into extending Thomas, seeing as Ford is more of a luxury behind Armstead and Bosa, while Thomas will need to step up with Buckner being moved as the long term key guy inside. Goodwin could be expendable if they see Deebo and Bourne as starters, or if they plan to draft someone there. Kwon Alexander would make no sense though, as Forge said. 

Honestly, with Sherman being 33 years old in 2021, I'm not sure he is brought back. If he is, won't be for too big of a deal and may actually change positions.

Coleman does not need to be retained and Breida looks to be gone by the weekend.

Bourne is a solid WR but not someone the team needs to spend money on. 

Tartt likely doesn't get a deal after spending on Ward this offseason and having Moore in the wings who the team is high on.

Ford I don't get...At least not yet. Like the numbers don't lie, with Ford in the line up, the pass rush was at damn near historical level. Without him? Very mediocre and that was with three pro bowl caliber DL in Armstead, Buckner and Bosa. If they want to shed the contract, then it makes more sense to do so next offseason. 

What is hurting the team a bit is restructuring Alexander and Richburg's deals. Didn't make much sense when they did it, and it doesn't now. But the money needed will be for Kittle's huge extension and then looking ahead, Warner's extension which I believe he will be able to sign after next season. Overall I don't think the team is in terrible spot or anything, but there will have to be some maneuvering done in the next offseason to get the core guys signed.