Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, BZski said:

They are going to have to give up a ton. Not sure I would do that for a CB. I am a Lions fan and I dont know if I really think Okudah is worth a top 5 pick and that is who we are most likely taking.

What are the chances the Lions actually look at a QB at 3? I saw some media talk about them as a possibility with Stafford in his mid 30s and having that back issue, is it a real possibility or just nonsense?

Just now, soflbillsfan said:

What are the chances the Lions actually look at a QB at 3? I saw some media talk about them as a possibility with Stafford in his mid 30s and having that back issue, is it a real possibility or just nonsense?

Complete nonsense. Lions are not taking a QB at 3.

2 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

Very true. Also a safety who’s been on IR two seasons in a row. That’s my point, they have holes all over the place. Theoretically if they go huge on one spectacular guy, couldn’t other teams just throw to the void on the other side of the field?  Brees and Brady certainly could. 

Yea they could but you also have to keep in mind if you settle for a riskier CB later on then you have to hope he can handle Mike Thomas or Mike Evans which is why they are willing to risk the move up so they can shut one of those down. Not sure what the price tag would entail but I think moving to 7-10 is more realistic and getting UF's CJ Henderson

14 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yes but getting rid of the tag gives the players more leverage, the object of the tag is to give the agent and organization more time to come to an agreement on a new deal. Players should never have to actually play out the franchise tag. Players obviously would wait it out and go to another team if there was no tag. The team took a chance on you by drafting you so they should have a chance of retaining you or get compensation for you. The jags will eventually trade him, keeping him around and tying up 18 mil isnt an ideal scenario for the franchise long term but letting players walk with little compensation also looks bad. I have a feeling a team will come calling thursday night or friday morning when they realize they need a pass rusher and didnt get one in the 1st rd. The draft is some what weak at that position so a team will look to make a splash to stay in contention, like the seahawks if they cant get someone in the draft

In a sport where players regularly put their health on the line, jeopardizing their ability to secure a long term contract, how much more leverage do organizations need?  

Teams are afforded 4-5 years to figure something out and if they can't, something clearly isn't working. Also, I'm not sure I agree with the bolded. How many times do these things actually work themselves out? More often than not it just creates bad blood and the player ends up leaving as soon as he gets the chance - With the exception of scenarios where both sides are motivated to get something done and simply using the tag to buy time (I.e Dak).

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Details?

Keep in mind, it actually costs us almost 10 million more to trade Alexander than to keep him, so it seems like a strange method to clean up cap space...especially in a super bowl window.  His cap hit is 4.5 million this year lol. Tartt is on the last year of his deal and his cap hit is all of 6 million. And we have no back up for him - the defense was horrific last year without him in the secondary. Dee Ford would have made more sense to trade before unloading Buckner since it basically would have been Ford's money that would have paid for Buckner.....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

well hopefully for lions fans some team like the chargers move up to 3 to get a qb and the lions still end up with their guy at 6. Make the move more appealing if that happened

Thats the hope but it seems that the trade down option changes daily so who knows. Peter King has connections and mentioned a DET-MIA deal in his mock today in which DET gets #5 and #39 but who knows. Lions luck is that they get stuck at 3 and take Okudah.

Edited by BZski

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Keep in mind, it actually costs us almost 10 million more to trade Alexander than to keep him, so it seems like a strange method to clean up cap space...especially in a super bowl window.  His cap hit is 4.5 million this year lol. Tartt is on the last year of his deal and his cap hit is all of 6 million. And we have no back up for him - the defense was horrific last year without him in the secondary. Dee Ford would have made more sense to trade before unloading Buckner since it basically would have been Ford's money that would have paid for Buckner.....

You guys have plenty of money next year though.

3 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

In a sport where players regularly put their health on the line, jeopardizing their ability to secure a long term contract, how much more leverage do organizations need?  

Teams are afforded 4-5 years to figure something out and if they can't, something clearly isn't working. Also, I'm not sure I agree with the bolded. How many times do these things actually work themselves out? More often than not it just creates bad blood and the player ends up leaving as soon as he gets the chance - With the exception of scenarios where both sides are motivated to get something done and simply using the tag to buy time (I.e Dak).

Clarke was a perfect situation, the seahawks and him werent in bad blood they made a quick trade and a long term deal was in place. Dee Ford another situation where they got compensation for a tag and trade. Only few tags havent worked out in the past where bad blood was there that was Earl Thomas, Clowney, and bell. You can probably say gordon too but he ended up coming in and playing the season out. Like I said its the ability to create time to get a long term deal done or a trade. Still plenty of time for a yan trade as he has until june 15th to get a long term deal in place. 

As for them putting their health on the line, I am sorry but do you see other businesses  where employees are crying about long term deals Military, Health, Police those people are putting their health on the line. these guys are making millions so I do not feel sorry if a player gets franchised tag for 17 mil to play one year, its the risk that 99.9% of men are willing to take to play the sport for 1 year. So I dont like to talk about the health aspect of it. It is a business and you want both sides to agree on something and this is a way of getting a deal done whether it is with the current team or a trade to a future team. There have been more successful stories of a deal getting done then there are hold outs with the franchise tag. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

Smart of them to try and trade Dee Ford. Dude is trash

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Dont forget your going to have to pay Ramsey, I find it hard to believe he will be willing to play 100% on the 5th year option, he made it quite clear at jags camp when he showed up in a brinks truck. He wants to get paid that 80+ mil an he is expecting to get that from the Rams before season starts, if not I see him holding out and being an issue in the locker room.

He'll get paid. It behooves us to pay him now.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

This is a different generation. Wouldn't shock me if more stuff like this happens on social media as days go on. What Yan is doing isn't exactly precedented either, and that's an equally awful look (especially when trying to get potential employers to give up compensation AND pay you).

Tony killed him in that exchange and just made him look worse for doing what he's doing....something, as I said, a good agent would keep a player from doing.

No, he didn't. Real talk, dude, other players are watching, and they aren't liking what they see. The Jaguars holding that dude hostage to try and milk every bit of a compensation out of a deal (along with all of the other awfulness of the past few years) isn't going to sit well with some guys around the league. And I think there's an element of reason to what Yannick is doing. He's basically saying, "If you keep holding me hostage, I'm going to act out in a way that harms my trade value." 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Danger said:

You guys have plenty of money next year though.

They have a decent amount of cap space, but not enough to sign all the free agents they'll have. Sherman, Kittle, Thomas, Tartt, Juice, Coleman, Breida, Bourne, and a handful of lower tier guys are slated to be free agents next year. Next year is really when they start paying for their superbowl team too. Alexander, Richburg, Ward, etc., all have their contracts balloon next year.

They'll be fine, ultimately, but they could use additional space for future moves at the same time. I could see it making sense. If you know you won't be retaining Tartt in a year, that could just be an attempt to get value earlier. Ford could get you enough money to look into extending Thomas, seeing as Ford is more of a luxury behind Armstead and Bosa, while Thomas will need to step up with Buckner being moved as the long term key guy inside. Goodwin could be expendable if they see Deebo and Bourne as starters, or if they plan to draft someone there. Kwon Alexander would make no sense though, as Forge said.