Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

46 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I’m sure the same teams that were lining up to pay him big $$ last offseason will still be interested.

Oh wait... 😂

In all seriousness, that contract has to be unmovable unless you’re willing to part with some draft capital.

56 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So... they want to pay a team with draft compensation to take Foles off their hands for a year and - almost certainly - cut him in his "out year" which is 2021 (aka "The Brock Osweiler)?

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

So... they want to pay a team with draft compensation to take Foles off their hands for a year and - almost certainly - cut him in his "out year" which is 2021 (aka "The Brock Osweiler)?

Buy a pick. Trade Osweil----errr Foles and a 2nd for say a 5th to a team like the dolphins or the Bengals who can absorb the cap for a backup.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Buy a pick. Trade Osweil----errr Foles and a 2nd for say a 5th to a team like the dolphins or the Bengals who can absorb the cap for a backup.

I'm actually torn on whether it wouldn't be a terrible option for the Chargers.  Not that I think BDN is the most marketable QB to rally around, but he is a guy they could at least sell as a SB-winning QB and former SB MVP.  They have the space and would be able to cut him ahead of trying to extend Bosa.  And if they were to get another 2nd out of the deal, they could - assuming Telesco's trend of luck with 2nd round picks doesn't sustain - reasonably repair the OL in the span of a single draft.

16 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Texans have cap space and need draft picks...

Just now, ET80 said:

Texans have cap space and need draft picks...

And are a division rival (as much as the Jags can be a rival to anyone)... I doubt the Jags are going to be in a hurry to help out the Texans unless they're desperate.

Just now, The LBC said:

And are a division rival (as much as the Jags can be a rival to anyone)... I doubt the Jags are going to be in a hurry to help out the Texans unless they're desperate.

Was kind of hoping they'd ignore that.

9 minutes ago, The LBC said:

With all the confidence I have in William, he'd probably lead with it in his inquiring phonecall.

I don't like him as a HC, but he's actually not the worst GM...

The Tunsil deal was an overpay, but I doubt you get a better LT than Tunsil with any of those premium picks (and the throw in for Kenny Stills was a low-key great addition). Turning Jadevion Clowney into Jacob Martin and Gaeron Conley (with a dependable ST guy in Barkevious Mingo) isn't what anyone really wanted or expected but it didn't crater out like people thought (Clowney is good but not as good as the general public likes to think). Carlos Hyde for Martinas Rankin was a nice little get - roster fodder for roster fodder, but it yielded a 1,000 rusher - and if we're confident in how the power structure works in Houston, BoB had the foresight to stick with his guns and drafted Tytus Howard, which turned out to be one of the better OL selections in the draft.

Now... if he could only find a HC to take on that job. That would be nice.

32 minutes ago, scar988 said:

No way we give a 2nd. Foles isn't Osweiler bad, nor do we save much in cap by trading him. 

2 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

The Foles contract made no sense because they’re essentially wasn’t a market for him. Like who were the jags competing against? Once the Broncos traded for Flacco it was a wrap

That's the reason it was a bad move.

The thought of getting Foles, given their situation/trying to win now, made sense.

1 minute ago, EL Guapo said:

It says the Jags only save about $3 million in cap space to trade him so I doubt they give a up a good pick just to save money 

Exactly.

It's just to get rid of him and let it be Minshews team. They're not going to give up some haul with him, nor should they have to.

5 minutes ago, EL Guapo said:

It says the Jags only save about $3 million in cap space to trade him so I doubt they give a up a good pick just to save money 

It's an interesting one to look at.  if they were going to trade him, March 20th is a relevant date because his $5.5m roster bonus for next year guarantees if he's on the roster (any roster, unless the contract is amended) on that day of this year.  His $250k workout bonus and $15.125M salary for this year would carry to a new team (possibly the $500k roster bonus for this year, depending on when he's traded - 5th day of the new season seems to be the consistent date in this contract), but his '21 and '22 prorations of his signing bonus would accelerate and compound with his proration for this season, to a sum total of $18.75M.  So that's roughly still a negative net-gain in cap space this season of somewhere between -$3M and -$3.5M.  Clearly not a real gain, but they could be looking towards next offseason as well and potentially shedding that $5.5m which would accrue into the dead money column if they were to cut him in his "out year" next year and effectively make it a still a case of a negative net-gain in 2021 because that bonus would be guaranteed.