Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

17 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And he's getting something like $14M per.  There's no way he's worth that or would the Vikings have even considered paying him that, even if they had the cap space.

That should put him in the 3rd round compensatory consideration level.

That should leave the Vikings with losses at the 3rd and 6th round levels for Waynes and Weatherly.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

That should put him in the 3rd round compensatory consideration level.

That should leave the Vikings with losses at the 3rd and 6th round levels for Waynes and Weatherly.

And we still have Mackensie to go (and I suppose Everson as well, considering he opted out on his own)

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

If he's above average, why wouldn't you extend him?

Why would commit such a large chunk of cap space to a 32yo QB when many of your other moves would suggest a rebuild?

Especially a QB who is know for needing so many things around him to be successful? This isn’t like Seattle where the vet QB makes others around him better, and offers a stable presence in the locker room. Now we’re basically look at Cousins to be the leader in the locker room, put a young team on his shoulders. Something he’s never shown he can do. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Why would commit such a large chunk of cap space to a 32yo QB when many of your other moves would suggest a rebuild?

Especially a QB who is know for needing so many things around him to be successful? This isn’t like Seattle where the vet QB makes others around him better, and offers a stable presence in the locker room. Now we’re basically look at Cousins to be the leader in the locker room, put a young team on his shoulders. Something he’s never shown he can do. 

Because otherwise we have no QB and are stuck in the same rut we’ve been in for the past 2 decades?  Always saying “we’re a good QB away!”

My god, I’m 29 and have been a fan since I was 7 years old. Culpepper is the only other franchise QB I’ve ever seen in my lifetime. Our QBs over the years have been miserable, in case you forgot. 

Your counter argument to not wanting Cousins is “Well he’s not Russell Wilson!” — sorry, Russell Wilsons don’t really grow on trees. 

Besides, I sure saw Cousins put the team “on his shoulders” with that clutch as hell OT drive in New Orleans this season. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Besides, I sure saw Cousins put the team “on his shoulders” with that clutch as hell OT drive in New Orleans this season

Did he put this team on his shoulders against San Francisco? Green Bay, twice? Seattle? Kansas City? Chicago, ever? 

His game against New Orleans is the exception in Cousins’ career, not the rule. 

15 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Because otherwise we have no QB and are stuck in the same rut we’ve been in for the past 2 decades?

We’re still stuck in that rut with Cousins. We’re still that team that’s good enough to contend for the playoffs, but not good enough to contend for the Super Bowl.

17 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Your counter argument to not wanting Cousins is “Well he’s not Russell Wilson!” — sorry, Russell Wilsons don’t really grow on trees.

Then you keep looking until you find one. Being afraid of failure is how you end up being ok with mediocrity. And that’s this franchise in a nutshell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Did he put this team on his shoulders against San Francisco? Green Bay, twice? Seattle? Kansas City? Chicago, ever? 

His game against New Orleans is the exception in Cousins’ career, not the rule. 

We’re still stuck in that rut with Cousins. We’re still that team that’s good enough to contend for the playoffs, but not good enough to contend for the Super Bowl.

Then you keep looking until you find one. Being afraid of failure is how you end up being ok with mediocrity. And that’s this franchise in a nutshell.

No QB has gone undefeated, not sure what your point is. You said Cousins isn’t capable of putting the team on his shoulders... I gave you an example of him doing that this year, in the playoffs.

My main counter argument is that we can’t expect to win the SB with the OL we currently have. They are somewhere between the 25-32nd overall line in the league. If you look at all 4 of the teams in the championship games this year, they ALL had top flight OL’s. 

They need to keep building around Cousins, which is what they are obviously doing. With a solid OL pickup or two and some young talent at CB and DT, I see no reason this team can’t contend for a SB with Cousins. 

We're pretty much all in two different camps: the camp that thinks we have a good chance of building on last year and continuing to push for a super bowl, and the camp that thinks we are looking at a regression with a front office and coaching staff that are making moves to win now, but other moves that will hurt our chances of winning now.

I am in the latter group. We had a good team last year, and saw a very encouraging "signature win" out of Cousins. That said, we have a lot of holes and pretty much no money to fill them. We have three huge question marks at the cornerback positions, and three huge question marks on the DL. We have two huge question marks at the wide receiver positions, and one huge question mark on the OL. We need starters at 2 (maybe 1 if you believe in Hill) cornerback spots (1 outside and 1 slot), both DT spots, 1 DE spot, 2 WR spots, LG, and K. That's nine starter spots that still need to be filled.

Obviously, we hope for Bailey, Alexander, Griffen, and maybe Joseph will be back. We don't currently have the space to get more than 1-2 of those unless they come on crazy cheap deals. We can hope to find bargain bin free agents to fill a couple of those spots. We can hope that guys like Hill, Boyd, Odenigbo, Watts, Holmes, Olabisi, and Samia can step up and be good starters. We can hope that we can find 4-5 immediate good starters in this draft. We can hope that Cousins takes another big step forward and starts significantly elevating the talent on offense and taking the pressure off the defense.

That is a lot of hoping. It seems much more realistic that we will have another drop-off in defensive performance from last year. Hopefully we only drop from 10th to 15th or so, but even that kind of drop would be tough to overcome with how we want our offense to operate as a run-heavy team. The defensive drop-off could be a much sharper one if Hughes, Hill, Watts, and Odenigbo are not solid starters. On offense, now we only have one receiver to threaten defenses, so Thielen's job got a lot harder. 

I try not to be overly negative, but the way I'm seeing things right now it looks like we will be in 6-10 to 8-8 purgatory.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

So what I've learned this off-season is that we're getting 3 more seasons of "Go Kirk" vs. "Kirk sucks!" arguments with the same 2 talking points recycled in every post.

Yay.....

Yep yep.

If the Vikings build a good offensive line I think that you'll see a lot more "Go Kirk" than "Kirk sucks!".

If the Vikings can't build a good offensive line the argument will remain unresolved.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Yep yep.

If the Vikings build a good offensive line I think that you'll see a lot more "Go Kirk" than "Kirk sucks!".

If the Vikings can't build a good offensive line the argument will remain unresolved.

He had a good OL in Washington. I’m more concerned with how the defense will look. If they aren’t a stellar unit, this team isn’t winning 8 games. 3 of 4 starting DL may need to be replaced as well as the 3 starting CBs. That sounds like it has the potential to be a disaster. 

• Like 1

Seeing how we have had a busy offseason already, I decided to fire up TDN mock machine and see what i get.

By the time pick 22 came there was 4wr's, 4OT's, 4CB's, 3QB's, 2Edge, 2IDL, 1LB, 1s all gone. I considered Ruiz or Austin Jackson here but didn't end up taking either with pick 22 nor 25. This is how my draft played out though.

22. A.J Epenesa DE                   167. J.R. Reed S

25. N. Gallimore DT                   201. L Bowden WR

58. D. Arnette CB                       205. K Martin LB

89. T. Biadasz IOL                     219.  S. Montez QB

105 T. Johnson WR                   249. L Hill CB

132 T. Adams OT                       Last K. Ismael IOL

I don't think there is a chance some of these guys drop as far as they did but If this is how it played out on draft day, I would be extremely Happy