GDT NFC CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP: Packers @ San Francisco 49ers

squire12

2 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

It's all good I'm 8 beers in and now enjoying some patron while watching the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Packers football never happened today IMO

New season of Curb Your Enthusiasm might be enough to get my cheap *** to pay for HBO for a couple months.  Larry David is my spirit animal.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I mean Rodgers wasn't a God out there but JFC... He was 31-39 for over 300 and 2 Tds. He threw one bad pick and maybe was at fault for the botched snap. He was the least of our problems tonight. 

Numbers don't lie...

Cherrypicked numbers can certainly lie & there is plenty of bias-by-omission there. 2 things can be true at once. In alot of those games, both sides played poorly, not just the defense. Some of the losses both sides played ok, but it wasn't enough.

Offense really only played great in the '09 and '12 loss. '13 & '15 were league-avg. '11, '14, '16, and '19 were all poor showings by the offense. 

In '11, GB off scored below NYG's avg-points-allowed and gave NYG 10 points off TO's. w/o the TO points, the defense held NYG to about their avg-points-fielded. Neither side played well

In '13, both offense (+3.5pnt above SF avg allow) & defense (6.0pnt below SF avg scored) did well vs. SF's seasonal numbers, but still wasn't enough. Neither side played better than the other. They both played ok. 

In '14, GB offense scored below SEA's avg-points-allowed if you factor out the 3 free FG's provided them by the defense & ST. Defense held SEA under their season avg (by -1.5) in regulation. Defense outperformed offense overall.

In '15, GB offense scored about equal to ARZ avg allowed. Defense held ARZ 12.5pnt below their season avg in regulation. Both sides played ok. 

In '16, GB offense scored below ATL avg allowed (-7.0) & shutout in 1st half. Def allowed ATL to score 10pnt more than their avg scored. Both sides played poorly.

This yr, GB offense scored below SF avg allowed (-3.0) & shutout in 1st half. Def allowed SF to score 7.5pnt more than their avg scored. Both sides played poorly. 

& this notion that 1 good drive at the end of a game absolves all your struggles the rest of the game is stupid. or that 1 poor drive at the end of the game cancels out all the good you did the rest of the game. If you want to play that game, you might as well say the offense played poorly in '09 because the game ended on a scoop-and-score from an Arod fumble. 

1 hour ago, Slinky said:

4,002 YDs. 26 TDs. 4 INTs. 95.4 rating. 13-3 record and division champs.

That's "bad"? Like I said, spoiled brats

2nd half of the season, he is on pace for:

336/572= 58.7% (#32), 3356y (#18), 20td (#20), 4int, 84.2 rating (#27)
5.87 ypa (#32)
9.99 ypc (#31)

Offense was 20.1ppg pace (#22)

Literally the only good thing was the INT's. 

I agree w/ you on the spoiled part tho. In more ways than one. Spoiled w/ the coaching & FO quality too. 

10 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Cherrypicked numbers can certainly lie & there is plenty of bias-by-omission there. 2 things can be true at once. In alot of those games, both sides played poorly, not just the defense. Some of the losses both sides played ok, but it wasn't enough.

Offense really only played great in the '09 and '12 loss. '13 & '15 were league-avg. '11, '14, '16, and '19 were all poor showings by the offense. 

In '11, GB off scored below NYG's avg-points-allowed and gave NYG 10 points off TO's. w/o the TO points, the defense held NYG to about their avg-points-fielded. Neither side played well

In '13, both offense (+3.5pnt above SF avg allow) & defense (6.0pnt below SF avg scored) did well vs. SF's seasonal numbers, but still wasn't enough. Neither side played better than the other. They both played ok. 

In '14, GB offense scored below SEA's avg-points-allowed if you factor out the 3 free FG's provided them by the defense & ST. Defense held SEA under their season avg (by -1.5) in regulation. Defense outperformed offense overall.

In '15, GB offense scored about equal to ARZ avg allowed. Defense held ARZ 12.5pnt below their season avg in regulation. Both sides played ok. 

In '16, GB offense scored below ATL avg allowed (-7.0) & shutout in 1st half. Def allowed ATL to score 10pnt more than their avg scored. Both sides played poorly.

This yr, GB offense scored below SF avg allowed (-3.0) & shutout in 1st half. Def allowed SF to score 7.5pnt more than their avg scored. Both sides played poorly. 

& this notion that 1 good drive at the end of a game absolves all your struggles the rest of the game is stupid. or that 1 poor drive at the end of the game cancels out all the good you did the rest of the game. If you want to play that game, you might as well say the offense played poorly in '09 because the game ended on a scoop-and-score from an Arod fumble. 

I agree AR deserves blame at points but teams typically don’t win when giving up 35+. The fewest points the D has giving up in these games is 23. That is like league average points a game. Compare that to Brady who gets a ring last year scoring 13 in the Super bowl. 

I’m going to explain to you the problem that has plagued this Defense since 2008......it’s not good. I know ground breaking, but hear me out.

The old Packers Teams could rely on a heavy weapons filled offense to straight overwhelm teams  in the regular season and mask their crappy D. Except only to run into tough defenses and good coaches and get bulldozed in the playoffs on both sides of the ball.

This year was the samething except with a crappy offense. This defense managed to squeak out games but NEVER put anyone away or put together 4 Quarters of solid play.

However, when you finally get to the playoffs it’s a whole different ballgame and once again this defense got bulldozed and offense got bamboozeled like they usually do.

Same problem every year. This defense and offense are just NOT ELITE enough for the playoffs against championship caliber teams.

I mean when you have to win your last season game of the season on a last second FG against the lowly Lions, do you even deserve to be in the same sentence as 49ers or Chiefs?

This was the crappiest 13-3 team I have ever seen. Defense had the two Smiths and offense had Jones and Adams. Literally no one else was memorable even Aaron. Compare that to the stacked rosters of Chiefs and 49ers.

Packers have spent two decades being the doormat of teams headed to the SuperBowl. 

Since 2000 (or whenever Holmgren left to lazy to check) under 3 coaches (Sherman, MM, and now LaFleur) we have probably made the playoffs the most of any other team in the NFC in those years and we have 1 championship to show for it.

Edited by PackGymRat

Stole from Twatter. This doesn't tell the whole story, but this is pretty sad.

Aaron Rodgers 8 Playoff Losses

-Defense gave up 45

-Defense gave up 37

-Defense gave up 45 points

-Led game-tying drive, never got ball again

-Defense gave up 44

-Defense gave up 37

Just now, Slinky said:

Stole from Twatter. This doesn't tell the whole story, but this is pretty sad.

Aaron Rodgers 8 Playoff Losses

-Defense gave up 45

-Defense gave up 37

-Defense gave up 45 points

-Defense gave up 44

-Defense gave up 37

Every NFC championship game after 2010, AR has sucked/mediocre.

Lets be real AR hasn’t shown up for the playoffs in over a decade. 

And the same people here blaming the defense tonite and posting these stats were the ones saying “defense had injuries bro and it’s not capers fault and blah blah” back when it was all happening.

Both sides of the ball have sucked. Usually the defense would get gassed early because AR wouldn’t do ANYTHING thus forcing the defense to constantly be on the field with limited rest. Recipe for disaster 

1 minute ago, pacman5252 said:

I agree AR deserves blame at points but teams typically don’t win when giving up 35+. The fewest points the D has giving up in these games is 23. That is like league average points a game. Compare that to Brady who gets a ring last year scoring 13 in the Super bowl. 

maybe league-avg if you are playing a league-avg strength of schedule. but what about when playing playoff-caliber teams, or Conference-championship-caliber playoff teams? For sure, Brady/Belichick distorts many reasonable expectations. 

Defense should definitely shoulder a decent amount of blame, but it just gets way overstated, as if every year was a 45-51 to the Cardinals. 4 out of the 8 losses, the defense has performed avg or better when compared to what the opponent typically scored against the rest of their schedule. And some of the times they crapped the bed, the offense also crapped the bed, so it wouldn't have mattered what the defense did.

4 out of the 8 yr, regardless of their regular-season accolades, the GB offense scored below what their opponent allowed to the average team in the reg season. Then 1 of the 8 they did about average ('15) and another of the 8 was slightly above average ('13). The only times they greatly  exceeded what their opponent allowed to the average team was '09 and '12.  

3 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Rodgers absolutely deserves blame when we were down 27-0 at some point. If we were on the other side, we would say we shut him down and all those numbers were garbage time yardage and prevent defense, and you know it.

I started to compile but feel like going to bed now, but would be curious to see Rodgers total stats from NFCG vs Chicago, Seattle and first halves of ATL and SF before those two games were garbage time (down a combined 51-0 at half the last two NFCCGs... gross).

I bet it's abysmal. Rodgers hasn't played well in any of his 4 NFCGs. His legacy will reflect this.