Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Simple question, as a fan on a message board, how can you come up with this conclusion definitively when you don't know the call in the huddle?, didn't know what was told to him to look for by the coaches pre snap, been in meetings with these guys or have seen them intimately on the whiteboard? How do you know if prospect A is smarter than prospect B when you don't know how the play is designed or the checks/reads/tags assigned by the OC?

How do you know if a guy is very smart with limited resources? So if a guy talks with a southern drawl, do you deem him not smart? I'm just curious about how you can definitively say a guy is smart or if one is not smart?  

Because it’s public record Fields didn’t do that stuff much at all except for some protection calls. Lance ran the show, and him making all those calls, is public record on every scouting write up. Not saying Fields can’t learn it, never said that at all. Also never said Fields was not a smart QB. I think Fields also is a smart guy. I actually like Fields a lot and think he’ll be a very successful QB. However, Lance has the highest football IQ of any QB in this draft imo. He processes faster than all of them, just watch him go through progressions. And already makes his own adjustments and calls effectively, something even tons of NFL QB’s have a hard time doing. Also, Lance’s Pocket Presence is much better than Fields as well. 

46 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just the older stuff with Phillips, or is there new info? I had been wondering if Farley ended up in the first for a while now. Legit concern on that back. 

If some team gets Farley Late 1st, they hit a homerun....(if his medicals do pan out). Top 5 player in the entire draft for me if no medical concerns. I also think his medicals are way less worrisome than Philips. Concussions are unpredictable and he seems prone to them, with an already forced retirement before. 

I still think Farley goes Mid 1st or Mid-Late 1st.

#15 New England

#16 Arizona

#17 Las Vegas

#21 Indianapolis

#22 Tennessee

#23 New York Jets

#24 Pittsburgh

Those are the spots where he lands imo. I say Arizona, Las Vegas, Tennessee, and the Jets are the most likely.  

34 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Mac Jones is literally built like every arm chair GM judging him 

Lynch and Shanahan probably work out with him with their shirts off and all compliment one another. 

Will they draft the “Bro” or will they draft a Franchise QB in Trey Lance or Justin Fields? The saga unfolds this Thursday Night. Tune in!

Edited by BayRaider

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Mac Jones is literally built like every arm chair GM judging him 

Yeah, that's the problem lol. Hell, I let myself get out of shape during this pandemic, and I still have more definition in my chest and abs than McCorkle. And trust me, I'm not complimenting myself.

23 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Because it’s public record Fields didn’t do that stuff much at all except for some protection calls. Lance ran the show, and him making all those calls, is public record on every scouting write up. Not saying Fields can’t learn it, never said that at all. Also never said Fields was not a smart QB. I think Fields also is a smart guy. I actually like Fields a lot and think he’ll be a very successful QB. However, Lance has the highest football IQ of any QB in this draft imo. He processes faster than all of them, just watch him go through progressions. And already makes his own adjustments and calls effectively, something even tons of NFL QB’s have a hard time doing. Also, Lance’s Pocket Presence is much better than Fields as well. 

Lance does not process faster than all the QBs in this Draft. And there's a large difference between making adjustments against FCS defenses and NFL defenses.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, that's the problem lol. Hell, I let myself get out of shape during this pandemic, and I still have more definition in my chest and abs than McCorkle. And trust me, I'm not complimenting myself.

Lance does not process faster than all the QBs in this Draft. And there's a large difference between making adjustments against FCS defenses and NFL defenses.

Processes faster than Fields. And Lawrence’s processing isn’t as good as some make it (and I have Lawrence as my #1 Prospect). 

We’ve both certainly had our hits and misses over the years, although I do love all four QBs this draft and think Mac Jones is an NFL backup outside of Shanahan’s system lol. Maybe New England’s system as well. 

I do find it interesting, that after steadfastly saying the pick was Mac Jones for a month, in the last 24 hours you've heard Lance's name come up. Ian Rappaport, Peter King, Chris Simms, Adam Schefter & Todd McShay have all brought him up as an alternative one way or another

Harkening back to what i was saying earlier that teams aren't making their evaluations now, rather the media is getting to know the evaluations. I do wonder if Lance was the guy, or a equal contender at least all along.

I feel like if Jones was the front runner on March 26 and still was, they wouldnt all of a sudden bring up Lance's name 96 hours before the draft.

Can someone sell me on Oweh?

I fully expect, if he's there at 25, with what Urban has said he wants to do/Baalkes background with lengthy DL/edge that he'll be in the running at 25. 

I like his athletic profile, but man he just seems to raw. Chaisson is/was in a similar spot so I can't say I love the idea of two raw edges "figuring stuff out" as they go next year behind Allen.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Well yeah, because that's how Ryan Day runs his offense, he is very hands on, thats how he prefers to handle his QBs. If Day had Lance, he probably would do the same thing with him. I'm not sure if that is some way to definitively better or smarter than the other, one just had opportunity. I kinda disagree with a lot on here but do agree that Lance's pocket awareness is better.

A few things: 

-Processing, intelligence, making his own adjustments and calls area all good, but it was from a simplified offensive playbook from an FCS program where defensive coordinators make 250k

-Second of all, regardless of those things you say he can do supposedly, he is still going to be a rookie and has to adjust not only from college to the NFL but from FCS to the NFL and the complexity of blitzes and zone coverages.

-Also, you do realize a lot of his TD passes were beautifully schemed by the offensive coordinators and you do realize there were obvious plays that he didn't process fast enough because he was trying to figure out the coverage. 

- Lastly, I guess I'll take the old school approach and say, I don't think Trey Lance would have been as successful if he were at Ohio State with the pressure to win each week, the complexity of the defenses he would have faced week to week and the amount of physicality he would have endured on a week to week basis.

- And are we not going to talk about the UCA game which was a doozy? (Which was full of processing issues as well as lack of pocket awareness issues) this was supposed to be the evolution of him? where was all of that "processing speed and intelligence"? Could he have checked into better pass protections to handle the blitzes that were coming? And now because of silly season he is supposed to be able to pick a part a defense like the Ravens or the Buccaneers?

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I fully expect, if he's there at 25, with what Urban has said he wants to do/Baalkes background with lengthy DL/edge that he'll be in the running at 25. 

I like his athletic profile, but man he just seems to raw. Chaisson is/was in a similar spot so I can't say I love the idea of two raw edges figuring stuff out next year behind Allen.

Don't do it, listen to your brain. He has no business going higher than 3rd round IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I like his athletic profile, but man he just seems to raw. Chaisson is/was in a similar spot so I can't say I love the idea of two raw edges "figuring stuff out" as they go next year behind Allen.

He's a freak and traits matter. 

• Like 1