Super Bowl LIV - San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

DigInBoys

Who will win the Super Bowl?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• 49ers
    • Chiefs

3 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Because Jimmy G would have to actually step up and play. Shanahan has done a wonderful job scheming the offense (or disguising) to not have to rely on him since the first quarter of the season. I'm sure they'd like to keep it that way.

Did he not play in the Saints game? Plus it’s all coaching as I said. Doesn’t matter what QB Kyle has, it’s gonna be a scary Top 5 Offense that can go toe to toe with any team. 

6 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Because Jimmy G would have to actually step up and play. Shanahan has done a wonderful job scheming the offense (or disguising) to not have to rely on him since the first quarter of the season. I'm sure they'd like to keep it that way.

Que? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201912080nor.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201911170sfo.htm

They rely on him when they have to. The preference is for the team to be a run oriented team though, I don't think that there's any doubt about that. But to say that they have basically been scheming to not rely on him since the first quarter of the season is just false. The final Seattle game was also basically a 50/50 pass run split and Jimmy G was very good in that one. 

If they are given the opportunity where they don't have to rely on him, they will absolutely do that because running is what they want to do anyway. The team also had quite a few blow outs which obviously limited the passing. 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

What about if it gets into the 40's? ya know.. like it did in the SuperDome when Jimmy had a 

sf.png&h=100&w=100San Francisco Passing
  C/ATT YDS TD INT SACKS QBR
J. Garoppolo 26/35 349 4 1 3-30 72.2

stat-line in a 48-46 win? :P 

I watched this game, that's when I knew the 49ers were legit. In the dome and they matched offensive scoring with the saints.  This SB should be great, hopefully the refs/weather don't ruin it . KC did get a few penalties in recent games on defence that,  if repeated could be costly. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Did he not play in the Saints game? Plus it’s all coaching as I said. Doesn’t matter what QB Kyle has, it’s gonna be a scary Top 5 Offense that can go toe to toe with any team. 

Hey as a 49ers fan I appreciate the effort...but u gotta pace yourself. Its gonna be a long 2 wks if u keep this up. 

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

Que? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201912080nor.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201911170sfo.htm

They rely on him when they have to. The preference is for the team to be a run oriented team though, I don't think that there's any doubt about that. But to say that they have basically been scheming to not rely on him since the first quarter of the season is just false. The final Seattle game was also basically a 50/50 pass run split and Jimmy G was very good in that one. 

If they are given the opportunity where they don't have to rely on him, they will absolutely do that because running is what they want to do anyway. The team also had quite a few blow outs which obviously limited the passing. 

People forget how bad Jimmy looked at the beginning of the season. I don't find it a coincidence the 49ers this year, was the best running team, all by scheme. At some points employing 4 different RBs productively. Matt Ryan had an MVP season with Shanahan. Kirk Cousins looked great as a young QB with Shanahan. But with Garroppolo it has largely been the running game. So yeah, I think Shanahan has done a helluva job trying not to put Jimmy G in high pressure situations. They rely on him when they have to explains it all. I can't say Shanahan used the same formula with Ryan/Cousins. 

I'm aware he had 3 good games this year. Two were against a historically bad defense, and one was one the fast track in the Superdome where every team averages 20 more points than they should. 

• Like 1

If the Chiefs can limit the run game I think they win the game. It's a huge if hence why I voted for the 49ers.

The 49ers will stop the Chiefs offense humming along as nice as they have been more than they should, but the ability to put up points in quick flash 1-2 minutes is ridiculous. Especially against Zone defence.

• What's the strengths/weaknesses of the Chiefs OL versus Niners DL matchup?
  • How will the 49ers DB's do against all that speed? Isn't #2/#3 CB the weakness of the defence? Sherman's definitely not following Hill is he?
Edited by Magnifico

Just now, Nex_Gen said:

People forget how bad Jimmy looked at the beginning of the season. I don't find it a coincidence the 49ers this year, was the best running team, all by scheme. At some points employing 4 different RBs productively. Matt Ryan had an MVP season with Shanahan. Kirk Cousins looked great as a young QB with Shanahan. But with Garroppolo it has largely been the running game. So yeah, I think Shanahan has done a helluva job trying not to put Jimmy G in high pressure situations. They rely on him when they have to explains it all. I can't say Shanahan used the same formula with Ryan/Cousins. 

I'm aware he had 3 good games this year. Two were against a historically bad defense, and one was one the fast track in the Superdome where every team averages 20 more points than they should. 

Jimmy G was fine in the beginning of the season, but sure, he had some rocky moments...That was to be expected after his ACL injury. But in the 2nd half of the season, he was damn good. Not sure why you are bringing up the beginning of the season here? When the defense went downhill after all the injuries, our offense won us a lot of those games, with Jimmy leading the way. Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams and Saints games weren't won because of the "run game." And you ignore the fact how there was a big stretch of the season when the run game was pretty putrid. The last two games? Yes, all the run game for the most part. But in the 2nd half of the season? Not so much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

If the Chiefs can limit the run game I think they win the game. It's a huge if hence why I voted for the 49ers.

The 49ers will stop the Chiefs offense humming along as nice as they have been more than they should, but the ability to put up points in quick flash 1-2 minutes is ridiculous. Especially against Zone defence.

• What's the strengths/weaknesses of the Chiefs OL versus Niners DL matchup?
  • How will the 49ers DB's do against all that speed? Isn't #2/#3 CB the weakness of the defence? Sherman's definitely not following Hill is he?

Eric Fisher - Steven Wisniewski - Austin Reiter - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - Mitchell Schwartz

Solid line overall, have really gelled since the addition of Wiz. 

That 9ers DL is a load though. Ford-Thomas-Buckner-Armstead-Bosa

Gonna be a real battle for sure. Mahomes needs his wheels with plenty of tread for this game.

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jimmy G was fine in the beginning of the season, but sure, he had some rocky moments...That was to be expected after his ACL injury. But in the 2nd half of the season, he was damn good. Not sure why you are bringing up the beginning of the season here? When the defense went downhill after all the injuries, our offense won us a lot of those games, with Jimmy leading the way. Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams and Saints games weren't won because of the "run game." And you ignore the fact how there was a big stretch of the season when the run game was pretty putrid. The last two games? Yes, all the run game for the most part. But in the 2nd half of the season? Not so much. 

People don’t appreciate this point enough.

Pro athletes don’t get full explosion until 18 months post ACL.   JimmyG even now doesn’t fully trust the knee - you can see a lot more flat footed throws as a way to protect it. 

It’s also why he seems more comfortable throwing  in between the hash marks than at the boundaries for targets beyond the flats this year.   If there’s an Achilles it’s his tendency to throw flat footed and then be late / inside on boundary throws.   It was a LOT more pronounced in Sept / Oct.   I expect it will be a lot better next year.  It’s definitely a strategy KC could use to clog the middle coverage.   

It’s entirely fair to say JimmyG is the potential weak link.   It’s also very clear he’s done it before this year when called upon.   The SB obviously is a stage pressure wise that is very different.  But to say SF can’t hang with KC dismisses what they’ve done when they're needed to. They just haven’t needed it a lot.

Another counter - the KC D isn’t a sieve anymore.  DC Spagnolo is a terrific game planner and caller.   But it’s also fair to say their D gets a huge edge ahead - and at home, when the OL gets off the snap a half beat late.   That won’t be happening on a neutral field.   Honestly it’s why this shapes up to be a pick ‘em game IMO, and I lean ever so slightly to SF.   The matchups on both sides of the ball are so compelling.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

People forget how bad Jimmy looked at the beginning of the season

People forget he was less than a year removed from a torn ACL. It was a very similar situation to Watson last year coming back from the torn ACL. This is not atypical. Oh, and he started the season with a whopping 10 starts on his resume. Expecting him to come out as a great quarterback is a little much. 

I don't find it a coincidence the 49ers this year, was the best running team, all by scheme

They weren't the best running team. Just an error that needs correcting. 

Kirk Cousins looked great as a young QB with Shanahan.

For sure. 

1-3. 114/ 203, 56.2%. 8 touchdowns, 10 INTS, 4 fumbles, 1320 yards, 6.5 yards per attempt, 5.98 adjusted net yards per attempt

I can't say Shanahan used the same formula with Ryan/Cousins. 

I mean, Cousins started all of 4 games with Shanny mostly on a really bad team (well, in 2013 they were really bad, he only started one game in their 10-6 playoff season where they were good). But this seems legit.

Matt Ryan has been a top 5-7 quarterback with a myriad of coaches and coordinators, so this again seems like an apples to apple comparison (and that offense had Tony G and Julio) 

So yeah, I think Shanahan has done a helluva job trying not to put Jimmy G in high pressure situations

Couldn't be that for the first half of the season, we simply didn't have many high pressure situations? After 8 games, we only had outscored opponents 235 - 102 (and that's generous, as Cincinnati scored in garbage time against back ups). He had exactly one high pressure situation - the end of the Pittsburgh game (one of the better defenses in the NFL), and he threw the game winning touchdown pass in a game where he was just fine. 2 picks, one of which bounced out of Breida's chest, and another that was also deflected. 

Relying on him when they have to isn't a bad thing, especially since he has largely succeeded in those situations. 

If you think that he only had 3 good games, I can't fault you for that, though he was very good in that last Seattle game. He's a fine quarterback, and most of his games are "fine". Hasn't had to be in a ton of situations where he needed to be good because the rest of the team is good. That doesn't mean he isn't good, or can't be, just that he hasn't been required to be. Doesn't mean he can't be though.

But I'm curious who the "historically" bad defenses are. Arizona? They weren't even the worst defense in the NFL this year, let alone "historically" bad. 

"Every team averages more 20 more points than they should", holy hyperbole, batman. Take out that niners / saints game, which was an atypically high scoring affair, the average points scored per game in the superdome this year were 45.15. Scoring averages in 2019 per team? 22.8, which means the average game would be about 45.6. 

• Like 1

Side note - Den fans spent 2 weeks being told there was no way our elite D could hang with a Car O that was putting up 40+ each week.    This SF team is almost as good on D (RCB and handling speed WR 2 key diffs) but literally 10x better on O.   

2019 Mahomes > 2015 Cam (clearly) but it’s not as tilted as ppl would think on the surface.   Great D’s given 2 weeks always get underestimated.    I’ve called for KC to cover both vs. HOU & TEN (and thought Hou was going to be a massacre), and SF to cover easily vs. Min & GB, so I’d like to think I’m calling it down the line.    I just don’t get how ppl think KC is winning handily here.