Super Bowl LIV - San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

DigInBoys

Who will win the Super Bowl?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• 49ers
    • Chiefs

I think i'm staying out of this thread for the game and probably not checking to much online.

I want to wish the 49ers fans good luck for the game. Let it be fair withouth any controverses. Just let the better team win the game. For the Chiefs it definitely seems to be a once in a lifetime chance for greatness. Who knows when or if we ever come back to the game. It's 50 years in the making, so i'm really excited for the game. Nervous, but excited. Just 7 hours left  until kick-off.

• Like 4

On 1/20/2019 at 9:40 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Such a heartbreaker. 

All year long I’ve heard comparisons to this team and the Royals. The Royals lost in the 9th with a runner on 3rd in 2014. We lost in OT to the Pats tonight.

I’m tired of being a “we’ll do better next year” team. But Mahomes was in his first year and with some defensive additions we should replicate if not do better next year. 

Well, we did better this year! One more game to go.

I likely won't be checking in until post game. Win or lose, it's been a hell of a year!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Well, we did better this year! One more game to go.

I likely won't be checking in until post game. Win or lose, it's been a hell of a year!

Kansas City had to lose to San Fran in the world series before getting over the hump. Maybe it's just the KC fate to lose to SF first before having their moment to shine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Funny how those that claim the 49ers are one of the most balanced teams ever don't mention Special Teams. Just sayin'.

The Chiefs offense is comparable to the 49ers defense--both elite. The 49er offense is a bit better than the Chiefs defense. Chiefs ST are better than the 49ers across the board--K, P, KR, PR, coverage units. Turnover differential is close with a small edge to the Chiefs. You could do a SoS analysis, but nothing jumps out. 

J

Chiefs defense isnt elite😂😂

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Funny how those that claim the 49ers are one of the most balanced teams ever don't mention Special Teams. Just sayin'.

The Chiefs offense is comparable to the 49ers defense--both elite. The 49er offense is a bit better than the Chiefs defense. Chiefs ST are better than the 49ers across the board--K, P, KR, PR, coverage units. Turnover differential is close with a small edge to the Chiefs. You could do a SoS analysis, but nothing jumps out. 

J

I think the special teams thing is just hard to peg sometimes because it can swing kind of wildly and it's made up of a very limited number of plays, unlike offense and defense. In a vacuum, yeah, the chiefs special teams is probably better, but the chiefs special teams has also had more issues than the 49ers more recently. One bad play from either team on special teams completely skews the entire game in that regard, and honestly, there's a good chance that both special teams units play just fine without much of a difference. Is there a difference if Butker goes 2/2 on FGS of 45 / 48 while Gould goes 2/2 on 33 and 36? Not really. 

I'm not sure where the idea that the punting units and punter are better for KC. The 49ers averaged a higher gross and higher net in the punting area. SF gave up more return yards per return, but this is already accounted for in the net yardage. Neither punter tends to pop them into the end zone. The only real difference in the punt game is that KC is better about limiting returns - KC has a smaller rate of returns, and gives up fewer yardage when returns happen, but the 49ers tend to kick the ball further. So yeah, I'd say that KC's coverage team is probably doing a slightly better job, but the end result is pretty much the same between the two punting units. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Kansas City had to lose to San Fran in the world series before getting over the hump. Maybe it's just the KC fate to lose to SF first before having their moment to shine. 

Nah, we already did our 2015 equivalent in beating Houston in the divisional round.

Sorry, not sorry @ET80

@Forge

You make some valid points. In fact I might be willing to concede an edge at P. Punt coverage is also close. However, punt returns, KO returns, KO coverage all lean to the Chiefs. The big difference is the FG kickers. Butker is much better than Gould.

J