2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

This. If our current WR room in order is:

Adams, Funchess, Lazard, MVS, EQ and Kumerow, by comparison on our DL, right now we have:

One Adams (Clark), one Lazard (Lowry) and three Kumerows (Adams, Lancaster and Keke).

Yeah this DL group scares me. Only really one young guy that you can hope takes a step in Keke. That being said though, if Keke does take a big jump and can play the 3, that's not a bad starting front. Depth would be a real adventure though.

I would be amazed if we outright cut Lane Taylor. I think he's a valuable trade asset. 5th or 6th round pick. Alternatively we could use him in a player trade to get a decent DT.

Not gonna lie, I can see Jamal Williams being used as trade bait, Why not get something out of him before he leaves for nothing in FA? I don't think he will command a large enough contract to land us a good compensatory pick anyway. RBs are dramatically underpaid, and many teams will see Williams as a viable cheaper alternative to Henry, Drake, Hunt and Fournette.

Not sure if we can get anything for trading MVS, EQ, M.Adams, Burks or Josh Jackson.

52 minutes ago, Chili said:

Not gonna lie, I can see Jamal Williams being used as trade bait ...

Not sure if we can get anything for trading MVS, EQ, M.Adams, Burks or Josh Jackson.

I am quite confident the chances of the Pack getting a late round pick for Josh Jackson, MVS, and ESB are > than their chances of getting anything in return for Jamaal Williams.

I really like Williams' fire on the field and he seems like a good guy, but why would a team give up anything for a JAG like Williams?

I guess Jamaal could be sent away in another warm body trade like the Pipkins-Morrison deal a couple of years ago.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

This. If our current WR room in order is:

Adams, Funchess, Lazard, MVS, EQ and Kumerow, by comparison on our DL, right now we have:

One Adams (Clark), one Lazard (Lowry) and three Kumerows (Adams, Lancaster and Keke).

Agree on the Clark-D. Adams comparison.

There is no one on the DLine who compares to Funchess.

Lowry currently has more experience than MVS/ESB/Lazard, but if 1 of these 3 WRs does not emerge and perform at a higher-level than Lowry performed in 2019, then the Pack is  going to be as F'ed at WR3 as it currently is at DL2 and DL3.

Keke is a complete unknown and counting on him is a mistake, but as with MVS and ESB there is no reason to give up hope and write him off as yet.

M. Adams is apparently going to get a fourth season to demonstrate his as yet unrevealed talent. Counting on him to contribute at DL in 2020 is GM malpractice.

And Lancaster is indeed the Kumerow of the DLine.Their best attribute is that they are both cheap. Neither one of them should get extensive playing time in a meaningful game during the 2020 season.

Edited by TheOnlyThing

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Not gonna lie, I can see Jamal Williams being used as trade bait, Why not get something out of him before he leaves for nothing in FA? I don't think he will command a large enough contract to land us a good compensatory pick anyway. RBs are dramatically underpaid, and many teams will see Williams as a viable cheaper alternative to Henry, Drake, Hunt and Fournette.

I think jamal is more likely to get a second contract here than jones. Besides what sort of return do you expect for one year of a backup RB?

2 hours ago, Chili said:

INot gonna lie, I can see Jamal Williams being used as trade bait, Why not get something out of him before he leaves for nothing in FA? I don't think he will command a large enough contract to land us a good compensatory pick anyway. RBs are dramatically underpaid, and many teams will see Williams as a viable cheaper alternative to Henry, Drake, Hunt and Fournette.

I don't see it happening.  Running backs get injured, so in an offense like the Lafluer is running we need 3 viable backs that can run this offense.  Unless D. Williams progresses we will need J Williams this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

After Monday 4/27 at 4pm,  free agents do not count against the compensatory pick calculation anymore

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-period-nears-its-end/

I don't know who it would be, but I feel like we need a Howard Green type of signing like we did in 2010.  Some big run stuffer type on a vet min contract that can go in a force a team out of their preferred runs. 

What about a possible trade for Kenny Stills?  BoB and the Texans appear to have their WR set in place for 2020 and Stills is just turning 28 with one year left on his contract.

KENNY STILLS
WR, HOUSTON TEXANS

The Athletic's Aaron Reiss believes Kenny Stills is the likely "odd man out" among Texans wideouts.
The Texans signed Randall Cobb and traded the No. 57 overall pick in this year's draft for Brandin Cooks, joining them with Will Fuller to be Houston's new three-wide set following the trade of DeAndre Hopkins.  Stills is entering the final year of his contract with a $7 million cap number, all of which can be cleared with a release or trade.  Houston likely would have been better off just not signing Cobb and keeping Stills, but they're here now.  Trading Stills would likely only net a late-rounder.  He turns 28 next week.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 15, 2020, 9:42 AM ET

Just now, Sasquatch said:

What about a possible trade for Kenny Stills?  BoB and the Texans appear to have their WR set in place for 2020 and Stills is just turning 28 with one year left on his contract.

KENNY STILLS
WR, HOUSTON TEXANS

The Athletic's Aaron Reiss believes Kenny Stills is the likely "odd man out" among Texans wideouts.
The Texans signed Randall Cobb and traded the No. 57 overall pick in this year's draft for Brandin Cooks, joining them with Will Fuller to be Houston's new three-wide set following the trade of DeAndre Hopkins.  Stills is entering the final year of his contract with a $7 million cap number, all of which can be cleared with a release or trade.  Houston likely would have been better off just not signing Cobb and keeping Stills, but they're here now.  Trading Stills would likely only net a late-rounder.  He turns 28 next week.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 15, 2020, 9:42 AM ET

I don't know about dealing with BoB.  8th round pick in 2037 for Stills is too steep a price for a receiver.