Aaron Jones contract: What do you do?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Plans for Aaron Jones?

• EXTEND HIM NOW!
    • Make a good long term offer in season
    • Franchise tag 2021
    • Leaves in FA after this season

47 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Hold outs are a losers venture now .. cost Bell a whole years pay .. cost Melvin Gordon a half a years pay.  The hold out is all bark and no bite for a running back.

Easy to say that from our perspective.

Less easy to say if you're Matt LaFleur staring down the barrel of a season with a 37 year old QB, high expectations from the fans, and are struggling to get your offense off the ground with what you thought was going to be one of your foundational pieces

21 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Easy to say that from our perspective.

Less easy to say if you're Matt LaFleur staring down the barrel of a season with a 37 year old QB, high expectations from the fans, and are struggling to get your offense off the ground with what you thought was going to be one of your foundational pieces

If he's a foundational piece you extend the guy .. no brainer there.  

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's not, but LaFleur may think that he is

I mean, he comes from an offensive coaching tree that has a history of producing quality running games with minimal investment at the position.  Spending a lot of money or premium picks on an RB kind of goes against a big part of the appeal of "hiring LaFleur" to begin with.

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Here's the question. 

236/1084 was Jones @ 4.6 ypc

107/460 was Williams @ 4.3 ypc

Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say that with increased volume comes decreased efficiency, and Williams ypc rate will fall to 4.0 under a heavier workload

4.0 yards per carry at 236 carries is still 944 yards. Is 5% of your salary cap worth an extra 8 yards per game running the ball? Hell no it's not.

Especially not when a bunch of Jones' best performances came against awful defenses (higher ranking is better):

1) 154 against Minnesota (18th in YPC against)

2) 134 against Washington (25th in YPC against)

3) 116 against Minnesota (18th in YPC against)

4) 107 against Dallas (10th in YPC against)

5) 100 against Detroit (8tth in YPC against)

6) 93 against Washington (32nd in YPC against)

7) 67 against the Chiefs (28th in YPC against)

8) 62 against the Seahawks (92th in YPC against)

9) 56 against the 49ers (23rd in YPC against)

Receptions?

Tough call. On one hand it's a cutthroat business and if you make bad pure business decisions (like paying a RB), other teams are not and are ahead of the curve.

On the other hand, there's the personal side where players see their buddies being taken care of and it promotes (possibly?) good will and a strong locker room and trust in your superiors and loyalty.

There's also the third hand, where Jones is an adept pass-catcher as well, and will be a top 2 skill position player on our 2020 roster as is. We are a much better offense with him on the field. I recall the "3rd best offense with him and 29th without". He absolutely has significant value and I hope we have a productive Aaron Jones on our team for a few more years.

53 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Tough call. On one hand it's a cutthroat business and if you make bad pure business decisions (like paying a RB), other teams are not and are ahead of the curve.

On the other hand, there's the personal side where players see their buddies being taken care of and it promotes (possibly?) good will and a strong locker room and trust in your superiors and loyalty.

There's also the third hand, where Jones is an adept pass-catcher as well, and will be a top 2 skill position player on our 2020 roster as is. We are a much better offense with him on the field. I recall the "3rd best offense with him and 29th without". He absolutely has significant value and I hope we have a productive Aaron Jones on our team for a few more years.

I think Rodgers is now willing to rework his contract to keep the good players, like he did a few weeks ago.

36 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

To me? I let him walk and take that comp pick all the way to the bank. I have no interest in paying him Zeke / Gurley / DJ type of money. 

He'll get good money no doubt and if on the low end of high (whatever that is) sign him.  If he's looking for THAT kind of money you mentioned ... bye.