Kobe Bryant has died in helicopter crash

pwny

29 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Damn this is sad.

Suddenly and rapidly climbing from 1200 to 2000 feet must have meant the pilot couldn’t have seen the mountain through the fog and by the time he could see it he had to ascend right? Also have to wonder why he wouldn’t have just turned around if he had to circle six times because the fog was that bad :/.... just so sad man.

49 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Oh, it's definitely right there for me too. I was just so involved with Robin Williams during my childhood and early adulthood that he felt like family. That's truly the only reason why his death was a bit more impactful. 

That seems to be the other one that hit people real hard. As for this, it's heartbreaking to me for so many reasons. Two daughters will grow up with little to no memory of their legendary father. A mother will have lost her husband and child. Parents lost their son and granddaughter. Thankfully it allegedly happened quickly because picturing that situation otherwise is truly awful.

• Like 2

Literally still can’t believe it. I’m clicking on different links in the hopes an error has been made and it’s not true. 

Seems strange to mourn a death from someone you didn't know personally but someone like Kobe inspired so many people myself included so it’s hard to not feel so upset by this tragic news.

Like @beekay414 I was also a huge Robin Williams fan growing up and that one really hit hard too. 

Rest in peace to all on board and those family and friends that will be going through utter turmoil.  

I grew up hating Kobe with every fiber of my being. He routinely ended the Kings seasons in our hay day. His elbow fouled Mike Bibby’s face in 02. He drained game winners against us. I’ve watched him drop 30+ live against us. He was a big part of my childhood and adolescence. I grew up a Laker hater. It’s part of my DNA now. 

But I respected the hell out of the man on the court. What an amazing talent. What dedication to his craft. He wasn’t a perfect player. He wasn’t a perfect man. But his death has been shocking and devastating. Then to find out that his daughter was in the crash with him was gut wrenching. I couldn’t imagine how hard this is for the remaining family members. You could just see the love he had for Gigi below. As a father, this hit on a whole new level for me. 

RIP Mamba and Mambacita.

• Like 2

ESPN: The helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant and eight other passengers that crashed into a hillside in Southern California on Sunday was in a climbing left turn about 2,400 feet high before it dove to the ground.......Shortly after 9:40 a.m., the helicopter turned again, toward the southeast, and climbed to more than 2,000 feet above sea level. It then descended and crashed into a hillside at about 1,400 feet......When it struck the ground, the helicopter was flying at about 160 knots (184 mph) and descending at a rate of more than 4,000 feet per minute (45 mph)

////////

Why couldnt the helicopter fly *above* the fog? Is cabin pressure an issue? Apparently there was considerable communication to ground control about transiting thru/around the fog - none about mechanical failure. At what height do helicopters usually fly and what's the elevation above sea level of the hillside / crash site?

The fact the helicopter was descending implies either mechanical failure (but wouldnt the rate of descent be faster?) - or that the pilot was trying to get *below* the fog? 
The latter makes no sense - unless they simply couldnt go up due to mechanical failure (of some kind) or simple pilot error thinking there was more ground clearance??
How could his/her instruments not indicate how high they were flying?

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

oof. Yeah that's terrible. How did that even happen?

yeah i don't know. TMZ wanted to be the first to report at all cost, wanted to get those clicks and views not caring about the families. Not sure how they knew it was him so fast though. The crash was a little before before 10 local time if I'm not mistaken, I just happen to follow TMZ on twitter and saw the it about 30-40 minutes later. Tried googling it and nobody else had even reported it yet.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/26/media/tmz-death-report-kobe-bryant/index.html

56 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

The worst part is the TMZ reported this before Kobe's family even knew, I read they found out through TMZ which is a joke. TMZ is a disgrace and needs to burn.

I don't blame TMZ. It's their job to report news and there's benefits, especially for those reporters, to break this kind of story.

Blame their sources. They're the ones who have no conscience and leak info for a few bucks.

• Like 9