Kobe Bryant has died in helicopter crash

pwny

i mean don't get me wrong,  I feel bad for everyone involved and affected by this tragedy of course, and there's no way I could do the job, but they shouldn't trot these emergency administration people out to give press conferences if they have no prior public speaking skills and experience.  It just seems like adding insult icing on the cake if they can't even announce your death correctly.

"all the survivors onboard were determined to be perished"

{odd face}

" and now I turn this over to my sheriff"

Condolences to family of those involved.

RIP

Edited by SlevinKelevra

10 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

i mean don't get me wrong,  I feel bad for everyone involved and affected by this tragedy of course, and there's no way I could do the job, but they shouldn't trot these emergency administration people out to give press conferences if they have no prior public speaking skills and experience.  It just seems like adding insult icing on the cake if they can't even announce your death correctly.

Condolences to family of those involved.

RIP

I mean to be fair that guy probably came in to work thinking it would be a normal Sunday and wasn't thinking he'd have to have a tight 5 minute briefing ready for the entire country.

This is just tough to process, probably the most impactful celebrity death I've felt. He wasn't just going to go and live his life like most athletes in retirement do (which is fine). He loved basketball too much not to stay involved. Whether he continued with his movies, coaching, broadcasting, all of the above, whatever it was, Kobe was going to be around and on our radar for the next 30+ years it feels like. Now just like that all gone in the blink of an eye from a routine trip. Obviously tragic as well that kids were on board. 

Really think the NBA should have called off today's slate of games. Not even just to honor him (could even argue he wouldn't want games stopped for anything), but how many guys in the league grew up with Kobe as their idol? Every single player, even vets, at the very least felt the influence of Kobe one way or another. The Nuggets and Rockets literally tipped off within an hour of hearing the news. NBA lost one it's biggest stars, let the players and league mourn.

• Like 7

So I want to say something and hope people understand what I'm saying.

Kobe's tragedy is not greater than any common person on any given day, in the essence of life (and no one has suggested it is). What it is however is a tragedy that brings everyone together, like other tragedies of the past have done. Kobe Bryant, being an iconic symbol, resonates with all of us whether we are fans of the sport or not. It is made more powerful by the fact it unites people in sorrow and mourning. As a father, I can imagine how I would feel if anything ever happened to my children so in that essence it hurts that much more. 

Good people, who inspire, and live their life for the greater good of humanity leave their mark on our hearts and that is what Kobe Bryant achieved as a person. I cannot express in words how heart broken I am for his family and the families of the others who perished in this tragedy and who perish every day in tragedies that bring an end to the light they shed on the world.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

.The players definitely decided to offer a better tribute than the league did...  FWIW Raps & Spurs went with this idea earlier, nice to see it's spreading.

The reactions from the young stars really shows how much Kobe was their idol.   I grew up with the Bird/Magic/MJ era, but I can only imagine what it must be like to have your idol die so tragically, and then have to play.   

Edited by Broncofan

In regards to celebrity deaths, Robin Williams, Michael Jackson and Alliyah probably impacted me the most.  Might be another one Im forgetting.

Kobe's name and face were everywhere for almost 20 years.  As a sports fan, its hard not to feel it, especially given the impact on his living family.

• Like 2