General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

"So of course Kyle and I have discussions. We're always into getting better, so you always look at everything, especially a situation like that. But within a day or two, Kyle and I looked at each other and said, 'You know what, we really like what we have in Jimmy.' We love everything that he brings and we really believe it's a long-term answer. I would tell you we're more convinced than ever about who our quarterback is in Jimmy Garoppolo."

Lynch also revealed that even as he and Shanahan discussed the Brady alternative, they kept Garoppolo in the loop on their plans for him and let him know that he was going to be their guy moving forward.

With regards to signing Brady. 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Bigger rosters means that it will be harder to keep those kind of guys on your PS, so it will be an interesting dynamic. 

Yeah, it's not really bigger rosters though. It is still a 53 man limit, teams just have the option of calling up two PS players per week to make a weekly 55 man roster. So, if a team wanted to use a 53 man roster spot on Beathard or Coleman or whoever, then they could. It is debatable how likely that is though.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

"So of course Kyle and I have discussions. We're always into getting better, so you always look at everything, especially a situation like that. But within a day or two, Kyle and I looked at each other and said, 'You know what, we really like what we have in Jimmy.' We love everything that he brings and we really believe it's a long-term answer. I would tell you we're more convinced than ever about who our quarterback is in Jimmy Garoppolo."

Lynch also revealed that even as he and Shanahan discussed the Brady alternative, they kept Garoppolo in the loop on their plans for him and let him know that he was going to be their guy moving forward.

With regards to signing Brady. 

That does fit with the narrative that MM came up with - they were trying to do Brady (and his agent, who is also Jimmy's agent) a solid by driving the price up. Its the only reason they didn't shut those rumors down earlier, if they are being truthful here. 

They say they are super committed to him, but they did not restructure him to create cap space. That seemed like a super obvious move to me, assuming you are committed long term

On 2020-04-20 at 5:46 PM, Gore Whore 21 said:

Oh please baby Jesus let this happen today. I thought it was funny he basically implied the team didn’t really care for Goodwin anymore. “Other guys we love & are looking forward to playing with moving forward” 

I feel like the outsider (as opposed to an insider) who came up with the idea of having Tartt, Kwon and Dee on the trade block just looked at a spreadsheet (and perhaps not even an updated one) and figured those would be the guys that make sense to trade, given the injuries they all had, so their bang for the buck wasn't great. But that guy failed to see that Kwon was basically untradeable this year, that it would stupid to get rid of Ford without having a backup plan for what he brings to this team (especially considering his back-ups are also returning from injuries themselves, and Ford might be the most rested and healthy he has ever been once football resumes), and that one year of Tartt plus a compensatory pick if we let him walk should be of much greater value to us than whatever we could get in a trade for an oft-injured safety, in a safety market that isn't what it used to be, on the final year of his contract. He made a big difference whenever he was on the field last year, and we should try to groom his replacement this year, if anything, so that he can be ready to contribute if we let Tartt go. But I'm good with having our high school buddies back there in the secondary for a year, or perhaps longer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This season is going to be wild...If there is one. But this also benefits teams with a lot of continuity. 

That was my first thought when the NFL started announcing how covid 19 would impact the offseason and the season. Losing maybe just 3 starters and having most of our coaching staff intact is huge for us. Imagine if we had lost Saleh and a couple more players... As things stand, we have to be considered the favourites in the NFC, even with the so-called curse of the superbowl loss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I feel like the outsider (as opposed to an insider) who came up with the idea of having Tartt, Kwon and Dee on the trade block just looked at a spreadsheet (and perhaps not even an updated one) and figured those would be the guys that make sense to trade, given the injuries they all had, so their bang for the buck wasn't great. But that guy failed to see that Kwon was basically untradeable this year, that it would stupid to get rid of Ford without having a backup plan for what he brings to this team (especially considering his back-ups are also returning from injuries themselves, and Ford might be the most rested and healthy he has ever been once football resumes), and that one year of Tartt plus a compensatory pick if we let him walk should be of much greater value to us than whatever we could get in a trade for an oft-injured safety, in a safety market that isn't what it used to be, on the final year of his contract. He made a big difference whenever he was on the field last year, and we should try to groom his replacement this year, if anything, so that he can be ready to contribute if we let Tartt go. But I'm good with having our high school buddies back there in the secondary for a year, or perhaps longer.

Just to be clear, my first sentence was only referring to Goodwin.

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

That was my first thought when the NFL started announcing how covid 19 would impact the offseason and the season. Losing maybe just 3 starters and having most of our coaching staff intact is huge for us. Imagine if we had lost Saleh and a couple more players... As things stand, we have to be considered the favourites in the NFC, even with the so-called curse of the superbowl loss.

I still believe losing Joe Woods is going to impact us some. He's one of the best CB coaches in the business. I don't think that it was a coincidence that as soon as he showed up, every level of the secondary looked profoundly better. Consistent edge pressure certainly played a part but I think Woods was also a big factor. Oden's hire doesn't elicit much excitement from me personally but I will take the 'wait and see' approach.

That being said, I think us and teams like GB, Saints, Hawks and will have a leg up in the NFC as far as continuity. None of us has lost much from our playoff rosters. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

When exactly did this happen? Lol.

I have no idea...kind of caught me off guard as well, but I saw several tweets from different people making sure to say it wasn't a thing lol

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

When exactly did this happen? Lol.

First tweet I saw was refuting a report saying it was false. I guess at least I didn’t get my hopes up.....or did I? Where there’s smoke there’s fire right? Haha.